Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Radially laced drive side!

Started by Wayne Pein · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,148 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 November 2006
Last activity
25 November 2006
Original author
Wayne Pein
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,148
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sigh, welcome to retail.....

    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    On the one hand, riders worry about every gram of components and then
    they use deep cross section rims and hubs with a large center piece.

    Add a beer gut and 10 pounds of water in a backpack. I snicker to
    myself every time I see some obese guy wearing a Camelback riding a Trek
    Madone. But hey, if it makes 'em happy tain't none of my business. I'm
    glad to see them out riding bike.

    Not only deep cross section rims and fat hubs, but also groupsets in
    general that weigh as much or more than group sets of 25-30 years ago.
    Heck, there are some wheels with 20 spokes that weigh more than some 36
    spoke wheels of yore. The weight savings in bikes nowadays comes from
    lightening the frame and fork to unsustainable levels and/or using
    sketchy materials that really aren't suited to the application.

  2. Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 04:08:24 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] wrote:

    > On the one hand, riders worry about every gram of components and then
    > they use deep cross section rims and hubs with a large center piece.

    Add a beer gut and 10 pounds of water in a backpack. I snicker to
    myself every time I see some obese guy wearing a Camelback riding a Trek
    Madone. But hey, if it makes 'em happy tain't none of my business. I'm
    glad to see them out riding bike.

    Not only deep cross section rims and fat hubs, but also groupsets in
    general that weigh as much or more than group sets of 25-30 years ago.

    Interesting if true! Can you pull some numbers that back this up? I'd
    note one conceded exception: the notorious Huret Jubilee derailer:

    Why do you characterise this gear as "notorious"? There was some very
    good engineering in it - like the locking mechanism for the pivot
    bolt.

    Dear J.,

    In "The Dancing Chain," 2nd edition, Frank Berto says:

    "In 1972, Huret introduced the elegant Jubilee front and rear
    derailleurs. This was the 'lightness' decade [1965-1974], when
    everything except water bottles and pumps was drilled out. At 133 g (4
    oz.), the Huret Jubilee was one of the lightest rear derailleurs ever
    made. It shifted quite well if you did not push its capacity. The rear
    Jubilee was a conventional two-pulley parallelogram design. The true
    capacity was about a 24-tooth sprocket. Huret made a long-cage touring
    version of the Jubilee for a few years, but it was really too
    delicate. The final version of the Jubilee had a drilled-out cage.
    Today, surviving Jubilees are prized by collectors."

    "There is a bit of controversy over the weight of the Jubilee rear
    derailleur. Huret listed the weights from 133 to 148 g. The
    drilled-cage versions were actually heavier (it had to be beefed up to
    make up for the loss of strength due to the holes). My Jubilee weighs
    132 g. including the mounting bolt. The 80 g Huret Jubilee front
    derailleur was too light for its own good. You had to shift carefully
    or the cage would bend."
    --p. 199-201

    Here's another criticism of the Jubilee:

    "Huret made the Jubilee front and rear derailleurs throughout this
    decade [1975-1984]. They were the lightest derailleurs available. One
    of Huret's problems through most of this decade was that their front
    derailleurs and shift levers were worse than their rear derailleurs.
    The Jubilee front derailleur was too flexible to shift positively."
    --p. 242-3

    Berto calls the SunTour Cyclone the best derailleur of the era, in
    direct comparison to the Jubilee:

    "SunTour did not price their products at what the traffic would bear:
    Their policy was to set a 'fair' price by adding a markup to the
    production cost. When a Campagnolo Nuovo Record or a Huret Jubilee
    cost $40, and a Shimano Crane cost $20, the Cyclone cost $16. The
    Nuovo Record and the Crane both weighed about 200 g (7 oz.), while the
    Jubilee weighed 140 g (5 oz.). The 175 g (6 oz.) Cyclone was the
    best-shifting derailleur on the market However, the result of
    SunTour's pricing restraint was that their top derailleurs were found
    on medium-priced bicycles, while their competitors' top derailleurs
    were found on top-of-the-line bicycles."
    --p. 255

    Berto also criticizes the Jubilee's non-standard design:

    "By the 1970s, Huret and Simplex had abandoned much of the
    standardization that had benefitted the French bicycle industry in the
    1940s and 1950s. Nowhere was this more obvious than in the derailleur
    mounting on the rear dropout. If you bought a custom-built French
    bicycle, the frame builder first had to decide on the derailleur, and
    then select the dropout to match."

    "A Huret Jubilee or a Challenger rear derailleur required the unique
    Huret rear dropout, which had the angle adjustment tab at the 3
    o'clock position. If your bicycle had one of these '[censored]' dropouts,
    you had to use a Huret derailleur. . . ."

    "Shimano and everyone else used the standard Campagnolo-pattern rear
    dropout. Notice the angle adjustment tab at 7 o'clock."
    --p. 201-202

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  3. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Johnny Sunset said:
    Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] wrote:

    > On the one hand, riders worry about every gram of components and
    > then they use deep cross section rims and hubs with a large
    > center piece.

    Add a beer gut and 10 pounds of water in a backpack. I snicker to
    myself every time I see some obese guy wearing a Camelback riding a
    Trek Madone. But hey, if it makes 'em happy tain't none of my
    business. I'm glad to see them out riding bike....

    On hot, humid day I average 3-oz./mile fluid consumption, so for a
    51-mile ride I would need 10 pounds of fluid (assuming S.G. ~ 1).

    On a hot humid day, I average one 20 oz water bottle per hour. The rest
    of the time I average less than that. A 51 mile ride would take about
    three water bottles at 90 degrees- back in my racing days it might have
    been four. Unless you are taking electrolytes in, excessive hydration
    will result in hyponatremia and hypokalemia which in turn can contribute
    to muscle cramps and- if carried to extremes- seizures. Recent research
    has shown that over-hydrating athletes routinely drop their electrolyte
    levels to a dangerous degree. It's also been shown that top marathon
    runners drink far less than their hyper-hydrated also-rans.

    Been there, done that, not fun.

    Quoted message said:

    Much of the athletic training literature advocates excessive hydration.
    E.g., "if you get thirsty it's too late." [censored]. If the human
    thirst mechanism was that bad, the species would have died out back in
    Olduvai Gorge.

    As with lactic acid, there are a lot of myths about hydration. One of
    them is the myth of "hydrate or die." A great marketing sound bite, but
    reality is less simplistic.

    My consumption is based on drinking what I feel like, and no more. I
    either drink something that has electrolytes, or put some salt and
    concentrated lemon juice in my water.

    After a double metric century ride in the summer, my green bodysock
    turned into a green bodysock with white salt stripes.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

  4. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    My club-mate swears one day I'm going to buy a complete shiny bicycle
    and be converted to non-bodgery, but I'm skeptical. And cheap.

    You can do both.

    Hellooo! I'm CHEAP!

    I'm cheap,

    This too will pass.

    --
    Michael Press

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > My club-mate swears one day I'm going to buy a complete shiny bicycle
    > and be converted to non-bodgery, but I'm skeptical. And cheap.

    You can do both.

    Hellooo! I'm CHEAP!

    I'm cheap,

    This too will pass.

    Darn right. That's why I named my garage-sale CX bike "Solomon's Ring."

    My competitors find it apt,

    [ed note: post only works if you don't check my race results]

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos


  6. Quoted message said:

    The problem isn't just with torque xfer through the hub. Torque will be
    transferred to the rim based upon the tension of the spokes. Spokes with
    greater tension will transfer greater load. If we're talking about a dished
    rear wheel, the spokes are typically under much higher tension on the
    non-drive-side.

    Mike, don't you mean to say drive-side here?

    Those spokes (the non-drive-side spokes) won't be of much

    Quoted message said:

    help until the tension has come up substantially, which will happen after
    rotational pre-load on the drive-side occurs.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.