Radio days

"datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The French make beer?
> a sponsorship for the Amerasian Cycle Thugs?

The French make very good beer. But it has to be chemically enhanced to ship
to the USA and that completely destroys the taste.

In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Why are you reading Kunich.

> Force of habit. And I need eyerolling exercise.

I need to follow up on this. I think it's ironic that I read Kunich for two
reasons. One, he has me killfiled. Two, he's frequently lambasted people who post
pseudonymously for "not being very manly" - I think it's funny that someone who does
that killfiles a critic.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
> Michael Press <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dans le message de
> >> datakoll <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> >>
> >> Daring to answer - yes, they're OK. They're neutral.

> > Yes, of course. They are controlled by ASO. Completely neutral.
> > Until the sign board does not show up at a critical juncture.

> cf: http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/warren-commission-report/

Does this have to do with your assertion that ASO is neutral?
I am delaying following the link.

--
Michael Press

| If radios "aren't any worse than any other system" why are they the
preferred
| method in the peloton? With radios, if someone dangerous attacks, the
teams that are
| paying attention can let the DS know on the radio and he can llet the
whole team
| know. It may not always work out perfectly but it's much better than
hollering to
| your teammates (who may be spread out through the group, back getting
bottles, etc.)
| that someone is attacking and they all need to react. I'd rather it be
without radios
| as I think it makes the team have to pay more attention and it often leads
to splits
| in the field that people have to work hard to eliminate. And it shows
which riders
| have good instincts and are observant.

The DSs already have a pretty good feel for what's going on via the TVs in
their cars and "race radio" which is pretty comprehensive (I've been in a
team car for a stage of the TdF, so I've got a pretty good idea of what goes
on). The biggest advantage to team radios is not so much finding out what
the other guys are doing, but how your own guys are feeling. Who's up, who's
down. Plus giving instructions (OK, orders, but I'll bet is quite different
for different teams; with Discover/Postal, there was no debate, you just did
your job. I'm guessing it's not that way everywhere).

However, radio dramatically speeds up the reaction time to an event. The DS
sees what's happening on the TV, figures out how to deal with it, and relays
the instructions to his team. And in so doing, it's less likely that a break
of any consequence will succeed. Conversely, it's *more* likely that a break
without GC contenders will have their day in the sun. It's increasingly
difficult to get a "good break" so to speak, because the DSs aren't likely
to make major mistakes. They have to be outsmarted in a way that rarely
happens (but obviously did when Landis took back the 'Tour in 2006).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...
<cyclintom@yahoo. com>