On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:46:43 -0800, Fred <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Halleluya (altho, you may have to explain for this person
"come-to-Jesus conversation (not a misspelled
conversion???)
Maybe this is just an expression limited in use to my
workplace (a Christian publisher). When someone who needs to
be set straight or their arrogance has gotten out of
control, and then has an eye-opening or humbling or "falling
from grace" experience, we call it a "come to Jesus" moment.
Quoted message said:Altho, I would like to ask, how come you did not get decent
service the other day? No saddle tilt, not explanation? He
needs to train his staff a bit more.
Yes, I think he is now aware of just how little service I
received on my two previous visits to his fine
establishment. Both times, I was "helped" by 16-year olds,
who know lots about servicing bikes but nothing about
servicing customers. I hope Dan realizes he needs to spend
some quality time with his staff. As for me, I know that in
the future, I'll be calling ahead when I have a bike
question to find out who's working. If Dan or Jeff aren't
there, I'll not waste my time.
Quoted message said:And miracle-of-miracles, she actually rode 4 miles - IN DA
RAIN??? You are NUTS, Lady! (G) Oh, and I guess they are
right, once you learn to ride a bike, you never do forget.
Well, before the rain, we had a snow pellet squall. Like
tiny hail that came down like a torrential rain. Turned to
rain eventually. By the time I went riding, the rain was
done. Lots of puddles though. And once, I tried to negotiate
my way through a patch of snow. Not successfully, though. I
had to get off and walk.
Quoted message said:I don't know what your commute route is like, but please,
please be careful. Unless it is a bike path like this
lake path, traffic needs lots of caution. Don't hug the
shoulder/curb/parked-cars too much since you need wiggle
room for broken glass, doors opening, pedestrians leaping
off the sidewalk and potholes. Get comfortable looking
over your shoulder while steering straight. And grow eyes
in back of your head, anyway.
The route I'm planning to take is on surface roads, not a
bike trail. However, the main road I plan to use have bike
lanes where cars are prohibited from entering unless they're
turning. Yes, I hope to have more experience under my belt
before I start commuting. Let me tell you, not having to
shift will be very nice in that situation.
Quoted message said:Riding with a group can be lots of fun.
I figure it'll be a great way to meet like-minded folks.
Quoted message said:Ah, yes, REI. We have an appointment to go there tomorrow
and spend our dividends from last year - I have an REI visa
card and it earns additional dividends (it is a co-op and
pays on each purchase) and I bought house windows last year
along with lots of sushi and Trade Joe
(G). Annually, in March, if you use your dividend, you can
make one purchase and get 20% off. I always try
finding something big that I already don't have!!!
(G)
I joined REI yesterday while I was there and received the
20% off my most expensive regular-priced item. No credit
card, though. If I don't have the money in the bank, I
don't buy it. Been down that slippery slope more times than
I care to admit.
Quoted message said:Seattle is the HOME of REI.
So now I can say:
__o -\<, ( )( ) Keep on pedaling.
and mean it!
You are on your way to your first century (that's a 100
mile bike ride!!!!!)
Prairie Roots said:Dan's the MAN! He's the owner of the bike shop where I
bought my bike and took it back today for a getting-
acquainted session. Dan and I had a lovely come-to-Jesus
conversation, and he's now my new best friend. He
introduced me to his staff, to some of his neighborhood
customers, and told me about two of the bike clubs in the
area that would be appropriate for me. When I asked if
they were comprised mostly of young people so I'd end up
feeling silly and out of place and older than Methusaleh,
he said, "Are you kidding? You'll be one of the younger
ones." That's when I fell in love!
He's had his bike shop on that corner for 20 years, and he
does not want to be thought of as exclusively for racers,
even though his shop is the sponsor of a local racing
club. He gave me a couple of bungi cords for the bike rack
for my trouble. He adjusted the seat for my height and
also tilted it forward so that certain body parts won't
get numb from the pressure of sitting. After I asked, he
returned to me the bike's original red seat with the built-
in rear light so that once my own rear end gets used to
biking, I can switch back from the extra-cushy gel seat to
the very cool red Bianchi seat. I left the shop an expert
on getting my front tire on and off, and also on the quick
release mechanism for the front brake. Turns out the black
accordion boot does NOT go into the mechanism as I'd
thought. I was doing it correctly all along.
Needless to say, I was very satisfied with the service and
attention I received today from Dan. Don't know that I'll
bother with talking to any of the under-20 somethings, but
Dan can take my money anytime. Before I left the shop, I
bought a helmet cover and a Timbut2 backpack so Dan got
something out of today's deal too.
After the bike shop, I went to REI (for the 1st time
ever!) to buy some cool weather biking gear so I could
ride today in 41F and rain. What a store! I can see myself
spending WAY too much time and money there. <G> They have
winter items on clearance now so I ended up with padded
below-the-knee pants, leg warmers, and rain pants.
I managed to ride around Lake Nokomis one time today. It's
a small lake, about 4 miles on the bike path. First time
on a bike since high school, I didn't want to overdo it.
It felt SO GOOD. I'll be back there again tomorrow. I
figure once I can get around the lake three times without
feeling like I'm going to die, I'll be in good enough
shape to start commuting and maybe then I can check out
one of the bike clubs.
What a feeling! I'm actually biking! What I did today
was no mini-goal; it's no less than the realization of
a dream.
Prairie Roots said:Today I'm off to the bike shop to see what answers I can
get there. Warmer weather is on the way and I want to be
ready to join the other bicyclists on the chain of lakes
circuit. I've found several maps of bike routes in and
around the Twin Cities. I think biking is going to be a
great way for me to see some new local sites.
Linda P
232/158/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
Linda P
232/158/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003