Road Cycling · Public discussion

Rage Rage against the crappy weather

Started by Maggie · · Last activity · 10 posts · 363 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 January 2005
Last activity
16 January 2005
Original author
Maggie
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
363
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Looking out my window, I think I may be able to ride my bike today
    after church. Then tonight snow is expected..tomorrow the snow will
    continue...according to the weather on the internet...the snow will be
    here most of the week.

    Looks like the gym is in again this week. I have discovered one thing
    about riding a bicycle as recreation and exercise....it is not a year
    'round sport in Jersey so ya better have alternate exercise plans.

    I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
    winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
    Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG, but
    some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
    hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when you
    can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
    watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not fun.

    Maggie
    http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  2. Maggie said:

    Looking out my window, I think I may be able to ride my bike today
    after church. Then tonight snow is expected..tomorrow the snow will
    continue...according to the weather on the internet...the snow will be
    here most of the week.

    Looks like the gym is in again this week. I have discovered one thing
    about riding a bicycle as recreation and exercise....it is not a year
    'round sport in Jersey so ya better have alternate exercise plans.

    I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
    winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
    Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG,
    but some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
    hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when
    you can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
    watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not
    fun.

    Maggie
    http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    Walk, run, cross country ski if we ever get any snow!

    Go to a gym and do treadmill or other gadget if you can't get out.

    How about them Steelers!!!

    --
    Bob Burns
    Mill Hall PA
    [email hidden]
    (NOT a good address.)

  3. Do not go gentle into falling snow
    Cyclists should spin and rave at cold and ice
    Rage, Rage, against the absence of sun's glow.

    Though randoneers ride longer at one go
    Because their bikes have lights, all mounted twice
    Do not go gentle into falling snow.

    Mass riders, the last wave by, as car horns blow
    Their frail deeds might have mocked the cagers' vice
    Rage, Rage again the absence of sun's glow.

    Messengers who whirl and sing like birds below
    And note, too late, the birds' south-bound advice
    Do not go gentle into falling snow.

    Commuting bikes, who mock the traffic's' flow
    Brake lights could blaze like meteors, but no dice
    Rage, Rage, against he absence of sun's glow.

    And you, on RecBikesMisc, wanting to go
    Curse, Bless me now with weather somewhat nice
    Do not go gentle into falling snow
    Rage, Rage, against the absence of sun's glow.
    - Dylan Mazzoleni

  4. Maggie said:

    I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
    winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
    Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG, but
    some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
    hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when you
    can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
    watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not fun.

    Maggie

    I've set my goal as a sprint triathlon in May (750 meter swim, 11 mile
    bike, 5 k run). That gives me other things to do when conditions aren't
    good for bicycling. Running I can do in the dark, and to some extent in
    the rain. Swimming in the pool I can do no matter how bad the weather.
    I'm laughing at myself for how my body and mind get confused trying to
    keep track of three different sports.

    Pam

  5. Maggie said:

    I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
    winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
    Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG, but
    some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
    hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when you
    can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday I
    watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not fun.

    I have a turbo supercharged Irish Setter that gets me out at
    least twice per day for walks. I think I'm good for at least
    3 miles a day and more like 5 or more each day because of the
    beast.

    Cross country skiing is very good as well. You can ski on the
    bike paths as well as the abundant trails and fields and such
    in this area (western MA).

    But this danged post snowfall rain, freezing rain and ice has
    pretty much killed off any XC skiing for now. A couple inches
    of dry fluffy stuff predicted for this afternoon and tonight
    so perhaps that will improve the conditions.

    At least it's cold again around here, so the ice bike with
    studded tires will be back out again. I don't do cold rain
    and the cars splashed the heck out of me last week on the
    daily commutes. Miserable!

    SMH

  6. Maggie said:

    Looking out my window, I think I may be able to ride my bike today
    after church. Then tonight snow is expected..tomorrow the snow will
    continue...according to the weather on the internet...the snow will be
    here most of the week.

    Looks like the gym is in again this week. I have discovered one thing
    about riding a bicycle as recreation and exercise....it is not a year
    'round sport in Jersey so ya better have alternate exercise plans.

    physically, you can try and do some interval training during short
    periods of 'good' weather - by interval training you will get the
    workout in a short period of time - also improves your spinning and
    overall speed. At other times, gym is your best friend - you have a
    variety of training. Alternate sports will be good as well.

    mentally, read ride reports on rec.bicycles.rides or elsewhere - some of
    those are so nice to read - it almost gives you the feeling of riding
    that route.

    my 2 cents,
    +ravi

  7. Brian Huntley said:

    Do not go gentle into falling snow
    Cyclists should spin and rave at cold and ice
    Rage, Rage, against the absence of sun's glow.

    Though randoneers ride longer at one go
    Because their bikes have lights, all mounted twice
    Do not go gentle into falling snow.

    Mass riders, the last wave by, as car horns blow
    Their frail deeds might have mocked the cagers' vice
    Rage, Rage again the absence of sun's glow.

    Messengers who whirl and sing like birds below
    And note, too late, the birds' south-bound advice
    Do not go gentle into falling snow.

    Commuting bikes, who mock the traffic's' flow
    Brake lights could blaze like meteors, but no dice
    Rage, Rage, against he absence of sun's glow.

    And you, on RecBikesMisc, wanting to go
    Curse, Bless me now with weather somewhat nice
    Do not go gentle into falling snow
    Rage, Rage, against the absence of sun's glow.
    - Dylan Mazzoleni

    EXCELLENT.....oh creative one on Bicycles.misc....rage on, rage on.
    That was outstanding. Kudo's to you Dylan Mazzoleni whomever you be!!!

    And I am dumb to tell a weather's wind
    How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.
    "The Real Dylan...."

    I rode my bike after church today....twas a good ride too....darn
    cold...but I rode. I think I shall get me ars to the gym....Rage
    on...do not go gentle into any good night.......Rage on.

    Maggie

  8. Bob Burns said:
    Maggie said:

    Looking out my window, I think I may be able to ride my bike today
    after church. Then tonight snow is expected..tomorrow the snow


    will

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    continue...according to the weather on the internet...the snow will


    be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    here most of the week.

    Looks like the gym is in again this week. I have discovered one


    thing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    about riding a bicycle as recreation and exercise....it is not a


    year

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    'round sport in Jersey so ya better have alternate exercise plans.

    I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
    winter sport. But I can't think of one. What the heck do you do in
    Jersey in the winter for fun outdoors? I know this is a bycycle NG,
    but some of you out here in on the east coast must have other
    hobbies....what the heck do you do for exercise and recreation when
    you can't ride? Excluding the gym, because that's work. Yesterday


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    watched the Jets looooose :-( and I cleaned my house. That was not
    fun.

    Maggie
    http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    Walk, run, cross country ski if we ever get any snow!

    Go to a gym and do treadmill or other gadget if you can't get out.

    How about them Steelers!!!

    --
    Bob Burns
    Mill Hall PA
    [email hidden]
    (NOT a good address.)

    Is that a retorical question? I have many people on suicide watch today
    because the Jets lost last night. WOW, Right down to the wire. What a
    game. We almost had it. The Jets played a great game....even if I am a
    Giants fan...I have to admit they played a great game. Now it's time
    to get the football pools going. Who will win the super bowl. More
    importantly..who will win the office football pool. And will Lance
    participlate in the next tour de france....or whatever the heck it is.
    I am so up on cycling....I know one rider. Lance Armstrong. And that is
    because he made the cover of sports illustrated because he rode into
    history, winning a record sixth Tour de France and cementing his place
    as one of the greatest athletes of all time. If he did not do that, I
    would never have know who the guys was.

    .. But I am learning. I've come a long way from my first convoluted
    post. Don't ya think? I am still riding, still posting and still
    exercising at the gym. I amaze myself. Now all I have to do is come
    through on that 25 mile MS charity ride in may. I wonder if I can do
    the ride on a stationary bike. I'm getting great at that. ;-)
    Maggie

  9. On 16 Jan 2005 05:10:38 -0800, Maggie quoth:

    Quoted message said:


    I need a winter sport. My son snowboards. Maybe I should take up a
    winter sport. But I can't think of one.

    Snowshoeing - best winter sport period. Much better than skiing, IMO.

    bkr

  10. On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:38:42 -0500, Stephen Harding quoth:

    Quoted message said:


    Cross country skiing is very good as well. You can ski on the
    bike paths as well as the abundant trails and fields and such
    in this area (western MA).

    Ah, Western Mass...when will I ever get to return?

    bkr

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.