Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Raleigh Twenty build - Help needed

Started by Mordechai · · Last activity · 9 posts · 697 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 November 2005
Last activity
28 November 2005
Original author
Mordechai
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
697
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings,

    I am new to the group and am hoping someone can help me.
    I am rebuilding an early 70's Raleigh Twenty including front fork,
    tire, handlebars and S-A 3-speed hub.

    My concern is that the 3 speed hub will not be enough for local terrain
    and I would like to update the gearing without big money. i.e. no SRAM
    Dual-Drive 3x9

    What is the best way to get a rear derailleur gearing onto the SA hub?
    The SA uses a 3 spline system, but I doubt I can jam on many extra
    sprockets... on extra maybe? Anyone tried this?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated...
    Mord

  2. Mordechai said:

    What is the best way to get a rear derailleur gearing onto the SA hub?
    The SA uses a 3 spline system, but I doubt I can jam on many extra
    sprockets... on extra maybe? Anyone tried this?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated...

    I was recently able to find an old "threaded driver" for a
    Sturmey-Archer hub. I was in the type of bike shop that has spare
    recycled parts from the 1950s.

    The driver is the component that holds the rear cogs, and transmits
    their torque to the hub's internals. A threaded SA driver has no
    splines. Instead it's got the same thread size as a standard freewheel.

    My plan is to use this to splice a freewheel onto a 3 speed, but I
    haven't taken the time to do it yet. You might try the same tactic.

    - Frank Krygowski

  3. Frank Krygowski said:
    Mordechai said:


    What is the best way to get a rear derailleur gearing onto the SA hub?
    The SA uses a 3 spline system, but I doubt I can jam on many extra
    sprockets... on extra maybe? Anyone tried this?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated...

    I was recently able to find an old "threaded driver" for a
    Sturmey-Archer hub. I was in the type of bike shop that has spare
    recycled parts from the 1950s.

    The driver is the component that holds the rear cogs, and transmits
    their torque to the hub's internals. A threaded SA driver has no
    splines. Instead it's got the same thread size as a standard freewheel.

    My plan is to use this to splice a freewheel onto a 3 speed, but I
    haven't taken the time to do it yet. You might try the same tactic.

    If you're going this route and run into problems, talk to Sheldon. He's
    been there and done that. But basically, if you're trying to restore the
    bike, don't do this, just refurb the SA and ride it as is. If you're after
    a good modern-ish equipped bike, start with something else, or ditch the
    SA and put on full derailer gearing. Either the 3x7 or the derailer gear
    option will require you to spread the frame, and do a lot of extra work,
    to end up with a frankenbike. If you're after a frankenbike because you
    enjoy the idea of one, go for it, but it won't look much like an old
    Raleigh Roadster.

    Jasper

  4. I hunted around for a threaded driver around the LBS and came up empty.
    I really want to keep the SA hub so I'll just ride it as is with new
    front end. It still may need conversion to 3/32" if the bottom bracket
    goes but til then we'll see. Maybe once I've ridden a few hundred I
    won't mind the available gearing.

    My main reason for rebuilding it is to have an unusual bike that is not
    like every other cycle on the road.

    BTW it's a Twenty folding bike.
    Thanks for the ongoing help,
    Mord

  5. Mordechai said:

    Greetings,

    I am new to the group and am hoping someone can help me.
    I am rebuilding an early 70's Raleigh Twenty including front fork,
    tire, handlebars and S-A 3-speed hub.

    My concern is that the 3 speed hub will not be enough for local terrain
    and I would like to update the gearing without big money. i.e. no SRAM
    Dual-Drive 3x9

    What is the best way to get a rear derailleur gearing onto the SA hub?
    The SA uses a 3 spline system, but I doubt I can jam on many extra
    sprockets... on extra maybe? Anyone tried this?

    Raleigh offered optional six and nine speed conversion kits
    for that hub. You can remove the HMW-127 spacers on either
    side of the sprocket and install two beveled Sturmey
    sprockets on the driver facing away from each other ( sizes
    over 15 are beveled) to make a six. You'll need a chain a
    couple links longer, a shifter and a changer - one which
    allows a washer on either side of the rollers to accommodate
    your wide chain .

    So yes, there's one relatively cheap and simple method. Many
    others abound. But did you consider just swapping the cog
    size , that is , just a lower geared three speed?

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. Well, being a Twenty Folder the 20" inch wheel size means that the rear
    sprocket is already a 16T. So if I add another I'm only gearing down.

    Once I've ridden it some I'll consider replacing the 16T with a 14T
    single and forget >3 gears.

    Thanks again,
    Mord

  7. A Muzi said:

    Raleigh offered optional six and nine speed conversion kits
    for that hub. You can remove the HMW-127 spacers on either
    side of the sprocket and install two beveled Sturmey
    sprockets on the driver facing away from each other ( sizes
    over 15 are beveled) to make a six. You'll need a chain a
    couple links longer, a shifter and a changer - one which
    allows a washer on either side of the rollers to accommodate
    your wide chain .

    What about the 9 speed version, how did that work?

    Jasper

  8. Quoted message said:
    A Muzi said:

    Raleigh offered optional six and nine speed conversion kits
    for that hub. You can remove the HMW-127 spacers on either
    side of the sprocket and install two beveled Sturmey
    sprockets on the driver facing away from each other ( sizes
    over 15 are beveled) to make a six. You'll need a chain a
    couple links longer, a shifter and a changer - one which
    allows a washer on either side of the rollers to accommodate
    your wide chain .

    Jasper Janssen said:

    What about the 9 speed version, how did that work?

    Both the six and the nine, made by Cyclo, came as a kit in
    an impossibly small box with a few chain links, shifter,
    full casing gear cable, chainstay cable stop, Cyclo changer
    with pullchain and a proprietary double or triple cog
    assembly designed to slip on a splined driver with the
    standard circlip. Those cog assemblies had a relatively
    thin interface still allowing some chainline adjustment
    (spacer-spacer-cog, spacer-cog-spacer, cog-spacer-spacer)

    (the kits were cheap -$10 or $12 when a basic rear changer
    cost $6)
    As Frank noted, a threaded driver is a good start to using a
    blocked freewheel. The freewheel body can be brazed or
    welded together. Tinkerers have always been drawn to those.
    Phil Van Valkenburg's Ultimate Peugeot used a threaded
    driver with a 4 speed Regina freewheel on his Sturmey S-5
    hub with a triple TA Cyclotouriste triple. . . you get the idea

    I'm sure other paths exist. 2 Sturmey cogs back-to-back is
    probably the simplest but as always riders have various
    criteria and resources so YMMV.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. Is it straight-forward then to put a standard freewheel onto the
    threaded SA driver, re-dish the wheel and mount it all up? If this is
    requires no brazing/welding I'd be more interested in pursuing it.

    Seems like this may be the simplest way, even if it takes a while to
    find the parts.
    Mord

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.