Cycling Equipment ยท Public discussion

Rant: The joy of having tools...

Started by Mike Beauchamp ยท ยท Last activity ยท 6 posts ยท 757 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 September 2003
Last activity
13 September 2003
Original author
Mike Beauchamp
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
757
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just thought I'd do some typing.. ๐Ÿ™‚ I used to "work" (help out in the back room for free) at a
    local bike store when I was in grade 7-9 until the store closed down. It was a GREAT experience and
    I learned so much. After that, I blew out my knee playing hockey so obviously stopped racing
    mountain bikes, etc. I've still rode my bike to get around the city (I'm 23 now, and I refuse to
    purchase a car). This summer I've tried to get back into cycling for recreation as well (not just
    transportation) and even considered purchasing a road bike. Unfortunately, being a student I don't
    have the cash.

    So this summer I decided to fix the mountain bike up. I also decided to strip the frame and polish
    the aluminum underneath, throw on slicks, rebuild everything, etc. I even recently broke a spoke, so
    I thought I'd get that fixed obviously. I -hated- the idea of going to a bike store, but I didn't
    have the tools necessary to pull cranks off, remove BB and take off the cartridge (to replace rear
    broken spoke). But I paid the local shop to do
    it...

    I forget how much it all came to, but I was rather shocked. Knowing full well that I could do it all
    myself, I hated the idea of paying someone to do
    iu. I also noticed that they gave me a bottom of the line chain (even though they took off my old
    chain, which was pretty high quality), gave me a [censored] BB, etc. Since for some reason I didn't
    get to pick the components ahead of time when I told them to replace them, I figured they'd at
    least put on equivalent components. Even little stuff kinda got to me like the fact that I had
    good rim tape on my rear rim and when they returned it they just replaced it (badly) with
    electrical tape instead!!!

    So, I finally decided to do what I should have done in the first place. Buy the tools i need to do
    it myself. The slicks they sold me were [censored], so I decided to place an order with nashbar.com
    because they had some intense slicks for cheap (Hutchinson Top Slick 1.2" Gold for $9.95 and the 10%
    discount coupon). I also ordered their "Big Tool Kit 2" (which was $35 when I ordered it and is $45
    now) and BOY am I glad I did!!!

    I'm sure some of you are against online places like Nashbar.com, and I can sort of see why. I love
    the idea of a local bike store, as I said I worked in one.. and would LOVE to work in one again. But
    the service I got plain stunk!!!

    EG: When I got the tool kit, I did a big bike cleaning, so I took off the rear cassette to clean it
    (using the rather high quality chain whip and hyperglide cassette tool in the tool kit). What do I
    notice? 4 other spokes really chewed up (from chain derailling I'd assume) and ready to fail no
    doubt! Did the bike store tell me about this, or change those spokes as well? No.. even though spoke
    price is negligable. But they did charge me $20 labour.

    Ah well.. just glad I finally have some decent tools so I can do proper repairs for myself and
    friends at home (I should get a bike and truing stand though..) so they don't have to go to that
    shop. I would have GLADLY bought all the [censored] at their store that I bought at nashbar instead (new
    computer, slicks, tubes, the tool kit, rim tape, etc.) if they would have shown me some respect
    y'know? Not replace stuff on my bike with the cheapest [censored] they have and used electrical tape on my
    rims. Not treated me like I know nothing about bikes when I'm in the store. And probably not be
    smoking in the store (which is illegal to do here)...

    In the meantime, if anyone is in the area of Courtesy Bicycles on Wyandotte
    j. in Windsor Ontario Canada and wants their bike fixed, I'll gladly do it.

    Mike mikebeauchamp.commikebeauchamp.com

  2. Mike Beauchamp said:

    just transportation) and even considered purchasing a road bike. Unfortunately, being a student I
    don't have the cash.

    A cheap alternative is to salvage a discarded 10-speed on trash day; fix it up, and it's no worse
    than a MTB with slicks, with the added advantage of allowing your MTB to go off-road without
    changing the tires.

    Quoted message said:

    fixed obviously. I -hated-the idea of going to a bike store, but I didn't have the tools necessary
    to pull cranks off, remove BB and take off the cartridge (to replace rear broken spoke). But I
    paid the local shop to do
    it...

    The tools cost less than the labor for any given job, IME.

    Quoted message said:

    it. I also noticed that they gave me a bottom of the line chain (even they took off my old chain,
    which was pretty high quality), gave me a [censored] BB, etc.

    This is standard practice; if not told what to use, and they use expensive stuff, the customers will
    get pretty angry most of the time. They used what gets them in the least trouble.

    It probably would have been better to ask you, first.

    Quoted message said:

    Since for some reason I didn't get to pick the components ahead of time when I told them to
    replace them,

    For what reason? Just because they didn't ask, is no reason for you not to tell. If you don't tell
    them what you want, they don't KNOW what you want. They can't read your mind. Again, they're
    supposed to ask; so it was a mutual miscommunication.

    Quoted message said:

    I figured they'd at least put on equivalent components.

    They deal with people every day who buy a good bike, then when components need to be replaced, won't
    spend the money. Standard practice evolved as a way to avoid trouble.

    Quoted message said:

    Even little stuff kinda got to me like the fact that I had good rim tape on my rear rim and when
    they returned it they just replaced it (badly) with electrical tape instead!!!

    That's pretty nuts. Sounds like they're jerkoffs, for not asking what you want in general, and for
    doing something dumb like that in specific.

    Quoted message said:

    Buy the tools i need to do it myself.

    It's in your soul, you knew you should have done this, why did you stray? ๐Ÿ™‚

    Quoted message said:

    The slicks they sold me were [censored], so I

    I can't imagine a MTB slick that, relative to another MTB slick, would be described as [censored].
    Exactly what were they, and what was wrong with them?

    Quoted message said:

    I also ordered their "Big Tool Kit 2" and BOY am I glad I did!!!

    I'm jealous. I should make myself a couple chainwhips and buy some cassette lockring and freehweel
    removers...

    Quoted message said:

    But they did charge me $20 labour.

    Wow! No wonder they're jerkoffs. I've never heard of getting ANYTHING done at a LBS and only getting
    charged $20 labor, let alone everything you had done. Unless they put a whole lot of labor money
    into the parts...

    Quoted message said:

    (I should get a bike and truing stand

    Those are nice, but you can do almost everything without them; you can true for lateral run-out (is
    that term applied properly here?) against the brake pads, for example -- it won't be academically
    perfect, but it can be perfect for your bike with it's brakes.

    Quoted message said:

    I would have GLADLY bought all the [censored] at their store that I bought at nashbar instead

    I don't know if I'd want to support THAT store, especially not at LBS vs. Nashbar prices.

    Quoted message said:

    Not treated me like I know nothing about bikes when I'm in the store.

    If you don't prove it or know them personally, then they assume you are like all the rest of their
    customers.

    Quoted message said:

    Mike mikebeauchamp.commikebeauchamp.com


    --
    Rick Onanian

  3. Mike Beauchamp said:

    As for the truing/bike stand thing. I just think buying a used truing stand is worth it if I'm
    doing wheels for other people on a regular basis (something I'd like to eventually do).

    I possibly wouldn't trust a used truing stand; it needs to be a precision instrument. New ones can
    be had cheaply if you don't look for professional quality, but you get what you pay for. I think
    some $30 to $40 at nashbar and performance.

    Quoted message said:

    In the meantime, as you said, the brake pad method has been fine for me.

    Gets my wheels as true as I can see or care for.

    Quoted message said:

    Lastly, I do understand how running a store can be hard. Dealing with people can be hard,
    especially the cheap asses that don't want to spend any money on things.

    Yup, and again, local [bicycle | computer | anything] shops adopt practices that behoove them; when
    I worked in a local computer shop doing repairs and upgrades, I went in all hopped up on computer
    magazines and idealism; but pragmatism and cynicism set in. I did, however, make sure that the
    customer knew (to the best of their ability) what they were getting.

    Quoted message said:

    Mike mikebeauchamp.commikebeauchamp.com


    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. The computer shop thing is a GREAT example... my friends and I were talking about building
    legitimately good systems for people. The conflict that most bike stores probably have to put up
    with ended up coming into play...

    That is, a lot of people only care about one thing.. the speed of the CPU. That is how Dell and
    Gateway and all that make their computers. [censored] components with a fast CPU. It's cheap and looks
    great on paper when it says
    2.4Ghz, even though a 1.8Ghz without certain bottlenecks caused by the budgets can blow it out of
    the water.

    Thanks for the advicee on the truing stand...

    Mike mikebeauchamp.commikebeauchamp.com

    "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Beauchamp said:

    As for the truing/bike stand thing. I just think buying a used truing stand is worth it if I'm
    doing wheels for other people on a regular basis (something I'd like to eventually do).

    I possibly wouldn't trust a used truing stand; it needs to be a precision instrument. New ones can
    be had cheaply if you don't look for professional quality, but you get what you pay for. I think
    some $30 to $40 at nashbar and performance.

    Quoted message said:

    In the meantime, as you said, the brake pad method has been fine for me.

    Gets my wheels as true as I can see or care for.

    Quoted message said:

    Lastly, I do understand how running a store can be hard. Dealing with people can be hard,
    especially the cheap asses that don't want to spend any money on things.

    Yup, and again, local [bicycle | computer | anything] shops adopt practices that behoove them;
    when I worked in a local computer shop doing repairs and upgrades, I went in all hopped up on
    computer magazines and idealism; but pragmatism and cynicism set in. I did, however, make sure
    that the customer knew (to the best of their ability) what they were getting.

    Quoted message said:

    Mike mikebeauchamp.commikebeauchamp.com


    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. "Mike Beauchamp" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The post was a little vague, I had these repairs done in multiple visits (yeah, i went back for
    some reason). Eg. The spoke thing was separate, I broke that one day while riding.

    The reason I didn't ask about the components during the BB/Chain


    replacement

    Quoted message said:

    is because they just said "okay, we'll give ya a call. see ya later." and then started dealing
    with another customer. It was my mistake to not


    specify

    Quoted message said:

    exactly what I wanted, I know that...

    As for the slicks being [censored], I gave them to my friend (who was still


    using

    Quoted message said:

    knobbies on pavement) so I can't tell you the make. They weighed way more than my knobbies, and
    were punctured with a piece of wood the first week.. very flimsy. But at the same time, they were
    really stiff in a way that


    made

    Quoted message said:

    them refuse to seat properly for several hours! They were also 2.0 which


    is

    Quoted message said:

    the only size they had at the shop, and I do prefer something a little skinnier. My friend seems
    to be happy with them, as they are better than knobbies...

    About the $20 labour thing. I was talking specifically about the broken spoke incident. For
    replacing a single spoke, I'd say $20 labour is overpriced. The fact that I discovered other
    spokes should have been replaceed as well when I took the cassette off sort of pisses me off too.
    But then again, I never said specifically "if any other spokes look


    damaged,

    Quoted message said:

    replace them too".

    As for the truing/bike stand thing. I just think buying a used truing


    stand

    Quoted message said:

    is worth it if I'm doing wheels for other people on a regular basis (something I'd like to
    eventually do). In the meantime, as you said, the brake pad method has been fine for me.

    Lastly, I do understand how running a store can be hard. Dealing with


    people

    Quoted message said:

    can be hard, especially the cheap asses that don't want to spend any money on things.


    -snip after the top-post-

    I often tell my emplyees that most service "problems" are not technical , they are communicative.

    Yours is a good example. When a customer asks to "just drop off his bike" and have us "fix what's
    needed" we have to refuse the job. We generally only accept work if we can review the bicycle with
    the owner ( takes one minute to do a thorough inspection) and then agree on the parameters before we
    begin. Truing is exceptionally nebulous. We know when a flat tire is repaired- the thing hoolds air.
    We don't always know when a wheel is true enough, given what we started with and what you expect.

    A thirty-second touch up in the bike, that plus a rim dent pressed, a thorough detensioning,
    lubrication and retensioning, hub adjustment or even full hub rebuild with new parts( Necessary for
    truing in some cases -like a broken axle) , spoke replacements --all can vary that job from $1 to
    $60 or $80 and I am not exaggerating.

    To just leave a wheel for "truing" without any analysis is inviting trouble. According to Murphy
    that's the wheel that will have corroded nipples, chain-mangled right side spokes, a rim dent, the
    wrong rim liner, a notched freewheel with the notches broken away, a patch fused to the inside of
    the tire that tears open on removal, a broken axle, a pitted cup, a skewer whose E-clip is missing
    and the skwewer nut is rusted to the right side, which breaks off when we turn it. Oh, and the
    customer will expect a $5 service ticket because that's what we charged on the _front_ wheel. "Hey,
    it's the same bike, dude"

    I press a completely wrecked steel wheel with my knee enough to spin in the bike at least once a
    week. I also spend thirty minutes getting nice wheels nearly perfect on a regular basis. Both kinds
    of customers leave happy at $1 and $25 respectively.

    Are you or the shop in error? Probably both to the extent that you both didn't communicate well but
    they should know better.
    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. -snip-

    "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I possibly wouldn't trust a used truing stand; it needs to be a precision instrument.


    -snip-

    Oh yeah? There's no difference in quality of output when I true in a bike with my thumb as a a guide
    or when I use a stand. The differences among stands are all in the area of operator
    comfort/convenience.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.