I went out for a ride today after not riding it for about 2 years and
I think the cycle gods have decided to punish me (I guess thats
karma!!)
I have a mountain bike with stx-rc rapidfire shifters (early 2000's I
think, individual shifters without brake levers) with XT derailluers.
My bike was stored in a dry shed so rust is not the problem but the
thumb levers to shift up to a bigger chainwheel do not seem to be
engaging properly.
I had left the front derailluer on the midlle chainring and the rear
in the middle of the cluster. I could shift between the granny and
middle ring on the front but pressing the thumb lever down
further/again to get on the big ring did not seem to engage inside the
shifter and move the derailluer over. The same seemed to happen on
the rear, I could only shift to a smaller cog than where it had been
left and back up to it but I could not shift up to a bigger cog.
I thought it may be due to cable stretch but tightening the cables
made no real differencs. My guess is that the little pawls inside the
shifters have got stuck and are not moving freely enough to enagage.
Has anyone had a problem like this before after prolonged storage of a
bike, I am thinking of trying to spray some lubricant inside the
shifters first before resorting to anything more drastic.
Cheers
Darryn