General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rare steak

Started by Scott · · Last activity · 217 posts · 2,359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 July 2007
Last activity
30 July 2007
Original author
Scott
Posts
217
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,359
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 217
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:34:07 GMT, "John E" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I completely agree with that! It is said that in many restaurants, they give
    the poor quality steaks to people who ask for 'well done', because they know
    that those people can't tell the difference between good flavours and
    average flavours.

    I still think the average steer in UK is tasteless and it has nothing
    to do with how it's ordered. Grass fed beef has no flavor IMO.

    --

    A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

  2. In article said:
    Scott said:

    When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in the
    middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook? That's
    one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And if they bring
    it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.

    Why waste your money on steak? Stick with pot roast or spaghetti.

    14 hour braise roasts.

    Well done tender steaks (t-bones, rib eyes and fillet mignon) are a sin.
    You like well done beef, stick with slow cooked tough cuts.

    I like my top round made into tartar.

    Dipped in a mix of raw egg yolk and teryaki.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  3. <sf> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:34:07 GMT, "John E" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I completely agree with that! It is said that in many restaurants, they
    give
    the poor quality steaks to people who ask for 'well done', because they
    know
    that those people can't tell the difference between good flavours and
    average flavours.

    I still think the average steer in UK is tasteless and it has nothing
    to do with how it's ordered.

    Can you tell by his neck tie?

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  4. "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    True.
    --

    Also, as my fun-loving papa used to say, you can't get out
    of life alive anyway.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  5. PeterLucas said:


    Scott <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in the
    middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook? That's
    one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And if they bring
    it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.

    Before man found fire, and got to love that chargrilled taste, we used to
    eat the meat raw.

    Unless you have a rare steak in England (think Mad Cow Disease)... anywhere
    else is fine.

    You're missing out on a great steak by cooking the life out of it.

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    Doesn't matter if the steak is raw, rare, or well done when it regards
    Mad Cow Disease (BSE; Bovine spongiform encephalopathy). Nothing known
    will destroy prions, and prions are believed to be the culprit that
    might cause BSE.

    Sky

    Sky

  6. Scott said:

    When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in the
    middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook? That's
    one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And if they bring
    it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.

    If internal temp is 155 F, the steak is considered cooked. The pink
    color is the the juice, if you let it drained out, the steak looks
    well done.

  7. PeterLucas said:

    Scott <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in the
    middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook? That's
    one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And if they bring
    it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.

    Before man found fire, and got to love that chargrilled taste, we used to
    eat the meat raw.

    Unless you have a rare steak in England (think Mad Cow Disease)... anywhere
    else is fine.

    Cooking has no effect on BSE.

    Quoted message said:


    You're missing out on a great steak by cooking the life out of it.


    True.

  8. PeterLucas said:


    Unless you have a rare steak in England (think Mad Cow Disease)... anywhere
    else is fine.

    You're missing out on a great steak by cooking the life out of it.

    Mad Cow and other prions are not affected by heat, even autoclaving, as
    has been discovered by investigation. Hospitals have been advised to
    use disposable surgical instruments on possible Mad Cow patients.

    I agree that well-done steak is a waste of good beef.

    gloria p

  9. PeterLucas said:

    Before man found fire, and got to love that chargrilled taste, we used to
    eat the meat raw.

    So I'm *not* the oldest person in here. Great!

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  10. Joe Cilinceon said:

    It was my understanding from what I have read about mad cow disease is you
    don't tend to get it from mussel meats but from eating the organs such as
    kidneys, liver, brain, tongue etc. and I very well could be wrong on this.

    Hmmm. Why isn't tongue considered a muscle meat, it being a muscle and
    all?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  11. Scott said:


    Quoted message said:

    You're missing out on a great steak by cooking the life out of it.

    I'm starting to realized that but I have to get over this mental block
    of eating what appears to be raw meat.

    Tastes do change. I use to be a well done guy. Now I'm more medium or
    medium rare.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  12. "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Joe Cilinceon said:

    It was my understanding from what I have read about mad cow disease is
    you
    don't tend to get it from mussel meats but from eating the organs such as
    kidneys, liver, brain, tongue etc. and I very well could be wrong on
    this.

    Hmmm. Why isn't tongue considered a muscle meat, it being a muscle and
    all?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    I have no idea Blinky to be honest but it was listed as one of the possible
    sources. I always kind of figure brain and nervous system but the liver and
    kidneys also where a little surprising but not completely. It is pretty much
    a cannibal cause illness and even found to be common among human
    cannibalistic societies through out history. Bone meal from cows being added
    to cattle feeds is suspect as the main culprit in cattle though it does
    occur naturally in some animals from what I read. Again this is only based
    on a few articles I have read in the past so that would depend on the writer
    knowledge not mine.

    Joe Cilinceon

  13. Sushi Fish said:


    If internal temp is 155 F, the steak is considered cooked.

    Cooked to death.

    Quoted message said:

    The pink color is the the juice,

    There is no pink, at 155F the only color is grey, and there is no
    juice.

  14. Nancy Young said:


    "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually, there is something to be said for the end piece of
    prime rib. I do love that, haven't thought of it in ages.

    Quoted message said:

    Sure. The end piece of a nice prime rib is is usually pretty good, but I
    sure wouldn't want a whole roast of beef cooked grey.

    Oh, no! Absolutely not. But I have seen restaurants that offered
    the end piece right on the menu. That's really good, but it's not to
    be confused with your normal order of prime rib. That I prefer
    medium rare.

    If it is on the menu they probably just take a slab off the rarer part,
    season it and slab it on a hot grill. After all, there are only two ends on
    a roast.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I grey up on that
    kind of beef, which is why I never saw the attraction to beef, until I had
    it rate.

    I wouldn't eat beef if it was always overcooked, either. Why bother.

    nancy

  15. "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:


    "Dave Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > Actually, there is something to be said for the end piece of
    > prime rib. I do love that, haven't thought of it in ages.

    Quoted message said:

    Sure. The end piece of a nice prime rib is is usually pretty good, but
    I
    sure wouldn't want a whole roast of beef cooked grey.

    Oh, no! Absolutely not. But I have seen restaurants that offered
    the end piece right on the menu. That's really good, but it's not to
    be confused with your normal order of prime rib. That I prefer
    medium rare.

    If it is on the menu they probably just take a slab off the rarer part,
    season it and slab it on a hot grill. After all, there are only two ends
    on
    a roast.

    No, it's not like that at all. It's not even prime rib shaped, and they
    always said If available. I know what the end looks like.

    nancy

  16. "JoeSpareBedroom" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Joe Cilinceon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "JoeSpareBedroom" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "PeterLucas" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Scott <[email hidden]> wrote in
    > news:[email hidden]:
    >
    >> When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in
    >> the middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook?
    >> That's one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And
    >> if they bring
    >> it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.
    >
    >
    >
    > Before man found fire, and got to love that chargrilled taste, we
    > used to
    > eat the meat raw.
    >
    > Unless you have a rare steak in England (think Mad Cow Disease)...
    > anywhere
    > else is fine.

    Normal cooking heat does not dependably kill the prions which cause
    mad cow disease. From what I've read, you'd have to incinerate the
    meat. My mother cooked this way, but most people don't.

    It was my understanding from what I have read about mad cow disease
    is you don't tend to get it from mussel meats but from eating the
    organs such as kidneys, liver, brain, tongue etc. and I very well
    could be wrong on this.

    Joe Cilinceon

    I just lost my appetite.

    I just lost my breakfast!!!

    :-)

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
    the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
    -- George Orwell

  17. Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    PeterLucas said:

    Before man found fire, and got to love that chargrilled taste, we
    used to eat the meat raw.

    So I'm *not* the oldest person in here. Great!

    (_x_)

    :-)

    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    "People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
    the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
    -- George Orwell

  18. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    I wouldn't eat beef if it was always overcooked, either. Why bother.

    nancy

    Not even pot roast or barbecue brisket?

  19. Blinky the Shark said:
    Joe Cilinceon said:

    It was my understanding from what I have read about mad cow disease is you
    don't tend to get it from mussel meats but from eating the organs such as
    kidneys, liver, brain, tongue etc. and I very well could be wrong on this.

    Hmmm. Why isn't tongue considered a muscle meat, it being a muscle and
    all?

    Heart and tongue are both muscles and organs.

    -sw

  20. On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:36:44 -0500, "jmcquown"
    <[email hidden]> magnanimously proffered:

    Quoted message said:
    Scott said:

    When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in the
    middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook? That's
    one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And if they
    bring it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.

    You're obviously not steak-wise. Anyone who enjoys a good steak will never
    order it well done. That's just a waste of good meat. I used to cringe
    when my friend Gertie ordered prime rib well done... eeek!

    Jill

    As a rule, I don't eat "red meat." Seafood and chicken are my meat
    staples. But there are three major exceptions:

    1. Being a guest at someone else's table.

    2. Bacon (which I've dubbed an honorary lettuce ... or something
    similar).

    3. Eye fillet steak seared blood rare.

    I don't have bacon often - maybe six times a year - and steak even
    less (maybe twice every couple of years). But whenever I feel the urge
    to have steak I either pan sear it raw in an old heavy iron skillet
    (and deal with the fat splatters later) or, preferably, go to a steak
    restaurant where they know how to treat a good steak.

    Eating steak any other way than blood rare wouldn't interest me in the
    slightest.

    --

    una cerveza mas por favor ...

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.