Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: A brake question regarding old equipment.

Started by Phil Brown · · Last activity · 10 posts · 450 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 December 2004
Last activity
30 December 2004
Original author
Phil Brown
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
450
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Thank you; I'll consider that. Actually, I haven't ridden the current
    equipment; however, it's quite early Mavic stuff and appears to be
    stamped out of sheet metal.

    You probably mean Mafac and trust me, Mafac tandem brakes with modern-or even
    NOS- blocks will definately pass muster and cut the mustard.
    Phil Brown

  2. Hi Phil
    I'm dyslexic & my spelling really sucks. I never realized after all
    these years that Mafic & Mavic were different names. I always thought
    they were the same company. Are they different companies? Or what?
    Thanks, John

  3. Quoted message said:

    I'm dyslexic & my spelling really sucks. I never realized after all
    these years that Mafic & Mavic were different names. I always thought
    they were the same company. Are they different companies? Or what?

    Unrelated acronyms M.A.F.A C. & M. A. V. I. C.
    (I've forgotten the origins)

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  4. A Muzi said:

    Unrelated acronyms M.A.F.A C. & M. A. V. I. C.
    (I've forgotten the origins)

    Manufacture Auvergnoise de Freins et Accessoires pour Cycle

    &

    Manufacture d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel (after the
    co-founders).

    James Thomson

  5. !Jones said:

    On 26 Dec 2004 15:42:59 -0800 in
    <[email hidden]>
    [email hidden] said this:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Phil
    I'm dyslexic & my spelling really sucks. I never realized after all
    these years that Mafic & Mavic were different names. I always thought
    they were the same company. Are they different companies? Or what?
    Thanks, John

    How come "ineffable" is in the dictionary; however, "effable" isn't?
    Thanks in advance for helping me to eff that.

    Jones

    Dear Excitable Jones,

    Well, partly because "ineffable" comes to us from Latin, via
    Old French to Middle English.

    But the real reason is that "ineffable" means much the same
    as "unutterable" or "indescribable." The no-prefix opposites
    of these words do not exist in normal speech because we
    never need to describe anything as "utterable,"
    "describable," or "effable"--those are the default
    qualities, and only the exceptions require words to describe
    them.

    We have "flightless birds" like penguins and emus, but we
    don't speak of "non-flightless" birds.

    We also have "flying boats" in the navy, but no one speaks
    of "non-flying" boats.

    To drag things back to bicycles, we have "tires" and "flat
    tires," but we scarcely ever speak of un-flat or non-flat
    tires.

    The default condition that requires no description may never
    need or enjoy a description of its own.

    I hope that this is not an (in)flammable topic (a different
    linguistic conundrum).

    Carl Fogel

  6. Dough......
    Where the hell did the reference to "ineffable" come from? What am I
    missing here?
    John

  7. On 26 Dec 2004 19:42:03 -0800, [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Dough......
    Where the hell did the reference to "ineffable" come from? What am I
    missing here?
    John

    Dear John,

    It's ineffable.

    Carl Fogel

  8. Quoted message said:

    Dough......

    Do you mean "D'OH!” [1] ?

    [1] Exclamation favored by Homer Simpson.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

  9. [email hidden] at [email hidden] wrote on 12/26/04 6:10 PM:

    Quoted message said:

    Well, partly because "ineffable" comes to us from Latin, via
    Old French to Middle English.

    But the real reason is that "ineffable" means much the same
    as "unutterable" or "indescribable." The no-prefix opposites
    of these words do not exist in normal speech because we
    never need to describe anything as "utterable,"
    "describable," or "effable"--those are the default
    qualities, and only the exceptions require words to describe
    them.

    We have "flightless birds" like penguins and emus, but we
    don't speak of "non-flightless" birds.

    We also have "flying boats" in the navy, but no one speaks
    of "non-flying" boats.

    To drag things back to bicycles, we have "tires" and "flat
    tires," but we scarcely ever speak of un-flat or non-flat
    tires.

    The default condition that requires no description may never
    need or enjoy a description of its own.

    That makes me very gruntled.

    -- jim

    --

    CycloFiend

    to reply directly, replace the dashes to create the name above

  10. Quoted message said:
    !Jones said:

    On 26 Dec 2004 15:42:59 -0800 in
    <[email hidden]>
    [email hidden] said this:

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Phil
    I'm dyslexic & my spelling really sucks. I never realized after all
    these years that Mafic & Mavic were different names. I always thought
    they were the same company. Are they different companies? Or what?
    Thanks, John

    How come "ineffable" is in the dictionary; however, "effable" isn't?
    Thanks in advance for helping me to eff that.

    Jones

    Dear Excitable Jones,

    Well, partly because "ineffable" comes to us from Latin, via
    Old French to Middle English.

    But the real reason is that "ineffable" means much the same
    as "unutterable" or "indescribable." The no-prefix opposites
    of these words do not exist in normal speech because we
    never need to describe anything as "utterable,"
    "describable," or "effable"--those are the default
    qualities, and only the exceptions require words to describe
    them.

    We have "flightless birds" like penguins and emus, but we
    don't speak of "non-flightless" birds.

    We also have "flying boats" in the navy, but no one speaks
    of "non-flying" boats.

    To drag things back to bicycles, we have "tires" and "flat
    tires," but we scarcely ever speak of un-flat or non-flat
    tires.

    The default condition that requires no description may never
    need or enjoy a description of its own.

    Then there are all those things that now require the modifier themselves since
    the modified versions are so common: acoustic guitar, battle rifle, upright
    bicycle

    Quoted message said:

    I hope that this is not an (in)flammable topic (a different
    linguistic conundrum).

    To know the unknowable, eff the ineffable and scru the inscrutable.

    Ron

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.