Re: A question for SuzyJ

suzyj

Guest
Originally posted by amirm:

> I remember you had high regards for Shell's bike chain oil.

> I feel as if with chilly temperature, as we get these days in
> Canberra, the viscosity of the lube grows real high. Do you find it
> the same? Any remedies from your experience?

I live in the East of Sydney, where we never get frosts, so don't have a
problem with excess viscosity. You could always try thinning it out some
with engine oil or something...

Indeed, I seem to recell Jobst Brandt, one of the more legendary RBT
posters, is a big fan of engine oil by itself for oiling chains.

I like the motorcycle chain oil mainly because it does the neat foamy
thing, which gets it into the bits of the chain where it does the most
good, rather than just acting as a decoration, like for example wax.

Regards,

Suzy

--

"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Originally posted by amirm:
>
> > I remember you had high regards for Shell's bike chain oil.

> > I feel as if with chilly temperature, as we get these days in
> > Canberra, the viscosity of the lube grows real high. Do you find it
> > the same? Any remedies from your experience?

> I live in the East of Sydney, where we never get frosts, so don't have a
> problem with excess viscosity. You could always try thinning it out some
> with engine oil or something...
>
> Indeed, I seem to recell Jobst Brandt, one of the more legendary RBT
> posters, is a big fan of engine oil by itself for oiling chains.
>
> I like the motorcycle chain oil mainly because it does the neat foamy
> thing, which gets it into the bits of the chain where it does the most
> good, rather than just acting as a decoration, like for example wax.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

A friend of mine who rode solo bikes in speedway used to clean his chain
with a petroleum product (petrol maybe) and then heat up a metal pan filled
with chain wax over a fire. He'd dip the complete chain into the wax and
remove it, cool it and put it back on the bike. The idea of heating the wax
was to get it into the links.

Marty

Marty Wallace wrote:

> A friend of mine who rode solo bikes in speedway used to clean his chain
> with a petroleum product (petrol maybe) and then heat up a metal pan filled
> with chain wax over a fire. He'd dip the complete chain into the wax and
> remove it, cool it and put it back on the bike. The idea of heating the wax
> was to get it into the links.

That is motorcycle chain wax and recommended for tourers because it last
about 2.5 days in rain. I've nver seen it preferred by racers. Probably
a bit too viscous. And, kerosene is okay as a chain wash before hand.