"Matt B" wrote
Quoted message said:Mike Sales said:
I remember that the death rates for pedestrians and cyclist went up,
whilst drivers deaths stayed the same.Do /you/ have a reliable source for that, because the official UK figures
do not show that.
Sorry, I don't keeps notes of these things. I seem to recall it is mentioned
in Robert Davis's book "Death on the Streets". Do read this. Its an
excellent alterative view you might enjoy.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:> Advances in the human body to withstand an impact with a ton of metal
> travelling at lethal speeds have not matched these advances.
Precisely. Now you see why we should be working towards a sustainable
way of ensuring that vulnerable human bodies, and hard metal objects
moving at speed, do not exist in the same space.Indeed, we have to ensure that the all road users have an equal
investment in avoiding accidents.And less opportunity to, and less likelihood of, causing them.
I am not clear what you are advocating. More traffic segregation, i.e. cycle
facilities?
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Since the physical results of accidents are so unequal in that a driver
can kill with physical impunity, the legal penalties must be used to
redress the balance.Or better still, the environment designed to reduce the ways accidents can
happen.
Do you mean segregation again, or perhaps widespread "traffic calming."
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
I think that jail is hardly ever a useful penalty for any criminal. I
would not send this woman to jail. Lifetime bans are completely
appropriate. At 57 I am only now learning to drive in order to chauffeur
my widowed mother. So for all this time I have been in the position of a
banee. Hasn't been too bad. If not being able to drive is such a dire
punishment, what of the old (see Jo Brand) or the too disabled, or
children? What have they done to deserve not being able to drive? It
would better for all if society was not arranged mainly to suit the
motorised. I might reluctantly allow prison for driving whilst banned. So
this woman might go to prison for driving whilst banned for speeding.I agree with what you say, in the main. I disagree with your support for
bans. I think bans should only be considered for those whose actions are
wilful. I think the ideal will be when everyone is entitled to (and able
to) drive without special training, and without tests etc. Roads and
vehicles could be designed to allow children, the old, the poor, the rich,
everyone, to drive safely without injuring each other - as they all manage
it whilst walking. We are, of course, a long way from being able to
deliver that yet.
Vehicles designed to allow their use by children without special training
would be radically different to today's. I would welcome them. I would think
that increasing the physical vulnerability of the occupant would be
necessary. I think you have not grasped my point fully. Vehicles like the
car as we know it are so "safe" and easy to kill with that the only way to
increase the risk to drivers of dangerous behaviour is via the law.
Mike Sales
Mike Sales