Re: bmw driver 0 cyclist 1

Chris

Guest
sean wrote:
> bmw driver 0 cyclist 1 (match forfeited because of crowd trouble)
>
> BMW driver pulls out in front of me from the left. He tries to 'force'
> his way into the line of traffic (coming the other way) but because of
> his lack of manners no driver will let him in. I have to brake because
> he is completely blocking the lane. I 'allow' my front wheel to push a
> small dent into his front door

thanks... you just did cyclists a major disservice. I pity the next
cyclist he comes across...

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:47:04 +0100, "Barry Teal"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>riding 2 abreast and even 3 abreast

Two cyclists abreast take up about 1.7m of road. One cyclist behind
another take up about 5m of road.

Barry Teal wrote:

> I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the shops), but am
> amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
> users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast....

Which of course is completely legal so long as they are not deliberately
obstructing other traffic.

John B

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Barry Teal wrote:
>

>> I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the shops), but am
>> amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
>> users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast....

> Which of course is completely legal so long as they are not deliberately
> obstructing other traffic.
>
> John B

Hello,
It might be legal but it isn't a good idea. Cyclists and
motorcyclists are very soft! Isn't it better to practice a little self
preservation?

Cheers

Peter.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:47:04 +0100 someone who may be "Barry Teal"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>"Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
>users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast and even 3 abreast, for no other
>reason than that they are thick, arrogant idiots who are often the cause of
>aggression on the roads.

>http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/03.htm#51

>>You should [snip]

>>not ride more than two abreast
>>ride in single file on narrow or busy roads

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Thu, 14 Apr, Barry Teal <[email protected]> wrote:

> amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
> users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast and even 3 abreast, for no other
> reason than that they are thick, arrogant idiots

Hmm. Two abreast they must occupy, what, 1.5m width of road?

Unlike those models of consioderation and courtesy the BMW driver
alone in his tin box (with or without a mountain bike on teh back
seat), occupying 3m width. Oh yes.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Peter Goddard wrote:
> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Barry Teal wrote:

> >> I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the
> >> shops), but am amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are
> >> pig-ignorant of other road users and hog the road, riding 2
> >> abreast....

> > Which of course is completely legal so long as they are not
> > deliberately obstructing other traffic.

> It might be legal but it isn't a good idea. Cyclists and
> motorcyclists are very soft! Isn't it better to practice a little
> self preservation?

Yes, and riding 2 abreast is often safer than riding single file.

--
Dave...

Peter Goddard wrote:

> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Barry Teal wrote:
> >

> >> I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the shops), but am
> >> amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
> >> users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast....

> > Which of course is completely legal so long as they are not deliberately
> > obstructing other traffic.

> It might be legal but it isn't a good idea. Cyclists and
> motorcyclists are very soft! Isn't it better to practice a little self
> preservation?

it can be a *very* good idea.
In certain circumstances it can be *much* safer than riding single-file.

Let's stop car occupants sitting side by side while we at at it.

John B

Barry Teal <[email protected]> wrote:
: I drive a BMW,

: I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the shops), but am
: amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
: users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast and even 3 abreast, for no other

It's perfectly legal to ride two abreast, and in a group makes for a smaller,
more compact group that cars can overtake.

Spreading the group out into one long line just causes drivers to start
overtaking and then cut into the line when something comes the other way,
or to squeze past when there's not enough room.

As a "serious roadie" surely you're not in favour of cyclists being treated
as second class citzens on the road?

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Barry Teal <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I drive a BMW,

>> I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the shops), but
>> am amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of
>> other road users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast and even 3
>> abreast, for no other

> It's perfectly legal to ride two abreast, and in a group makes for a
> smaller, more compact group that cars can overtake.

Single file would also make it harder to "rotate" a group so each person
only spends a set time at the front.

Barry Teal wrote:
> I also ride a road bike (yes seriously, not just to the shops), but am
> amazed at how many "Lycra clad" cyclists are pig-ignorant of other road
> users and hog the road, riding 2 abreast and even 3 abreast, for no other
> reason than that they are thick, arrogant idiots

Cyclists are allowed to ride two abreast. Three abreast is naughty, I'll
grant you that.

> who are often the cause of
> aggression on the roads.

Short-tempered morons who think they own the road are the cause of
aggression on the roads.

d.

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Goddard wrote:
>>
>> "JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Which of course is completely legal so long as they are not
>> > deliberately
>> > obstructing other traffic.

>> It might be legal but it isn't a good idea. Cyclists and
>> motorcyclists are very soft! Isn't it better to practice a little self
>> preservation?

> it can be a *very* good idea.
> In certain circumstances it can be *much* safer than riding single-file.
>
> Let's stop car occupants sitting side by side while we at at it.

No. Lets encourage more car sharing. Perhaps then each driver will feel less
frustrated. Fewer cars on the road. Less likely to have a go at a cyclist
(or a person riding a bike).

Cheers

Peter.

> John B

Depends on where you're riding in my experience. In some cases riding
two abreast forces drivers to pass more carefully and seems to me to
actually increase cyclists' safety.

John Kane
Kingston ON