General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Burger wars

Started by Faux_Pseudo · · Last activity · 104 posts · 1,542 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 March 2006
Last activity
14 March 2006
Original author
Faux_Pseudo
Posts
104
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,542
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 104
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Glitter Ninja" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    I have trolls killfiled, sometimes they are the cause of the crosspost.
    I really didn't expect you did it. I didn't. I'm very surprised.

    Eh, feel free to killfile me. While it's not common, I've definitely
    crossposted ark and rfc before. It's no skin off my nose if you want to
    kf me for it if it upsets you.

    Obviously.

    nancy

  2. Glitter Ninja said:
    Nancy Young said:

    Bun/meat ratio ... even if I used the same amount of beef as the
    fast food place, I'd use less bread.

    I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as small
    as a fast food patty. My husband worked at a small town burger joint as
    a kid, and his boss always bragged that they bought patties which were
    1/10th of a pound each, while McD's used patties which weighed 1/12th of
    a pound. I have trouble keeping a patty that's 1/5th of a pound from
    falling apart!

    Mmm. Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burgers.

    They take a 0.1-lb ball of meat, mash it on the grill (griddle,
    actually) with a
    stiff spatula. You can get doubles, triples, quads, or quints,
    referring to the
    number of miniature patties that show up inside the bun. They grind
    the meat
    in-house. Heaven! The grease runs right down your arm.

    You're probably right that less than 1/5 lb can't be patted into a
    burger. Alton
    Brown's "Man Food Show" makes sliders by rolling ground meat like a pie
    crust
    between two sheets of plastic wrap, if memory serves.

    Cindy Hamilton

  3. notbob said:
    Bob (this one) said:

    Beef. Bread. What's to be better?

    Lettuce, tomato, cheese, relish, onions, condiments, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    Freshly cooked burgers from any of the burger places aren't dry, either.

    Since the new temperature/time rules eliminating the threat of e-coli
    have been instituted, burgers are cooked more done than I prefer.
    Another reason why moisture contributing elements like tomatoes and
    onions are more desirable than ever.

    Come on up to Michigan. Provided you avoid chain restaurants
    (especially
    those based in California), you can get your burger cooked any way you
    want.
    Menus are required to have some boilerplate about the risk of eating
    undercooked food, but any restaurant you'd actually want to order a
    burger
    from will cook it as rare as you like.

    Cindy Hamilton

  4. YAAAAAYYYY! Kerri *and* Stacia return to ARK! Now all we need is
    Tamara and my harem will be complete.

    --oTTo--

  5. Otto Bahn said:

    YAAAAAYYYY! Kerri *and* Stacia return to ARK! Now all we need is
    Seth and my living room suite will be complete.

    IFYPFY.
    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo [email hidden]|tr a-z n-za-m
    "Take it? I can't even parse it!" - Kibo, in ARK

  6. On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:05:22 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden] (Glitter

    Ninja) said:

    OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.

    LOL! Hiya Stacia! Great to read you again! Am I still on your
    Ladder of Hate? 'Cause I never stopped loving you, you know.

    -=Darla=-

    --
    "I'm still here, you [censored]!"
    ---Papillon

    http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

    --

  7. notbob said:
    Nancy Young said:

    So ... I'll just leave it here. Bob can't make a better burger
    using those two ingredients than McDonalds can.

    If he can't, it doesn't say much about his expertise as a restauranteer.

    Restaurateur...

    How lame...

    Pastorio

  8. Nancy Young said:

    "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Bob (this one)" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Look, I am the first to admit I have a fast food burger once
    in a while, I'm not ashamed. But I know full well even the *most*
    basic burger I could make at home would be a world better than
    what we're talking about.

    Beef. Bread. What's to be better?

    So ... I'll just leave it here.

    Nancy, that was an actual question. I distinguished between actual
    "quality" criteria and "suits me" criteria. Better can either mean "more
    to my liking" or "higher quality" - judged against objective criteria.
    Your comments fell within the "suits me" category.

    No comment on the nature/cuts of the meat. No comment on the grade of
    meat or how it was ground/chopped. No comment on the nature/ingredients
    of the breads used. They would all be quality assessments.

    Quoted message said:

    Bob can't make a better burger
    using those two ingredients than McDonalds can. You win.

    Puhleeeze.

    There was no contest. I offered a different view and asked a few
    questions, that's all.

    Pastorio

  9. Glitter Ninja said:
    Bob (this one) said:

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can't imagine being able to make a patty by hand that was as small
    as a fast food patty.

    Quoted message said:

    What a perfectly silly thing to say. All it takes is a scale.

    Right. I just can't do math, that's the problem.

    No, you're a moron. That's the problem. And your imagination is as
    crippled as your logic.

    Quoted message said:

    Or is it that you responded with a whiny little complaint before you
    read the whole post? Because later you comment on what I *really* said:

    Nah. And your idea of a "whiny little complaint" means your reading
    skills are as good as your math and your imagination.

    I read the whole post before I decided to heap scorn on your empty
    little head. Now toss those pretty curls and flounce around some more.
    That's it... push the shades up on top of your head while you fire that
    nasty look at me... Perfect.

    Um, you have some spinach on your front teeth...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have trouble keeping a patty that's 1/5th of a pound from falling
    apart!

    See? Just in case you didn't get that, let me break it down for you,
    Sparky: It's not that I can't read a scale, it's that a small patty with
    no binder or fillers often falls apart. But who can argue with your
    definitive advice:

    See, darlin' you're talking [censored]. That "small patty with no binders or
    fillers" is an industry standard, available as frozen patties or fresh
    patties - or as a container of ground beef that requires a rational
    human to weigh and properly form the patties. It won't fall apart unless
    your cooking skills are right up there with your reading, logic and math
    skills.

    When I ran a ski resort foodservice operation, we made what we called
    our "Junior Burgers" and patted them out in a public kitchen where
    people could see them being done. Hundreds every day. Guess how much
    they weighed?

    No, try again.

    Um, no, another guess...

    Right 1/5 of a pound. Precisely 3.2 ounces.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Really? Then just smoosh it together a bit more.

    OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.

    <LOL> See how utterly moronic you are...

    No, you wouldn't. Too much of a moron. Not too good at catching sarcasm,
    either.

    Here are two salient facts:
    1) Handling ground meat more makes it stick together more. Pressing it
    together makes it stay together and results in a more substantial "bite"
    when eating it.
    2) Your writing skills are right up there with your reading, logic, math
    and culinary ones.

    Hey, here's another fact for free that I won't even put on the bill...
    3) You know less than jackshit about food.

    Quoted message said:

    Are you for real? You tell me to "smoosh" the meat more -- and I can
    assure you that I am very skilled at smooshing meat

    <LOL> I'll bet you are. Are those fishnet thigh-highs?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    -- and then complain that:

    Quoted message said:

    And this kind of nonsense is exactly what I was talking about.

    Indeed. It's nonsense like your ridiculous claim that I don't know
    how to smoosh meat ("smoosh" being the scientific term) correctly that's
    the real problem here.

    Poor Stacia. Takes pride in ignorance of culinary technique. Can't catch
    the scornful dismissal of clearly absurd assertions. And sees getting
    smacked around as a "complaint."

    That remedial course down at the Vo-Tech is still open. Maybe you can
    learn to carry the light end of the board or maybe wash cars. Save you
    all the anguish that cooking and food obviously cause you.

    And there's that imagination problem...

    Pastorio

  10. _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That is because most of their burgers aren't beef. Unless it is one
    of the ones advertised as 'all beef' it is about half soy. The QP, BM
    and B&T are all beef but I think the rest are soy/meat mix.

    All McD's meat burgers in the U.S. are beef. Period. Always have been.
    Their menus around the world reflect the local cultures.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    From their ingredients page:
    "Beef Patty:
    100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders."
    <http://tinyurl.com/34652>
    <http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.ingredients.index.html>

    I stand corrected.
    <snip flame>

    --
    .-'😉) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
    ((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
    ((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

  11. _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._

    Quoted message said:

    If they added anything to the beef patties, they'd have to declare it.
    It's the law. And they're not stupid enough to try to sneak it by; the
    public reaction would be overwhelming.

    An extra note to my other reply for this section of you post.

    McDonalds has a history of not declairing all of the aditives to their
    products. There have been at least two cases I can think of were beef
    tallow was included in their fries or in the oil and it wasn't
    declared. People other than Hindus and vegetarians never seemed to
    react at all.

    --
    .-'😉) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
    ((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
    ((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

  12. Faux_Pseudo said:

    _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._

    Quoted message said:

    If they added anything to the beef patties, they'd have to declare it.
    It's the law. And they're not stupid enough to try to sneak it by; the
    public reaction would be overwhelming.

    An extra note to my other reply for this section of you post.

    McDonalds has a history of not declairing all of the additives to their
    products. There have been at least two cases I can think of were beef
    tallow was included in their fries or in the oil and it wasn't
    declared.

    Doesn't sound like you're too sure what you're on about.

    Quoted message said:

    People other than Hindus and vegetarians never seemed to
    react at all.

    Why would they? The fries were wonderful.

    They (and every other foodservice operation) have never had to declare
    their cooking oils. They didn't "include it in their fries," they cooked
    their fries in it. There has never been a requirement to talk about
    cooking oils. They've done it in an effort to pacify a largely ignorant
    public.

    Potatoes cooked in beef tallow taste better, brown better, crisp better.
    It was one of their early trade secrets and why their fries were
    unarguably better than everybody else's. Now, they're routine. They
    dumbed down the quality of their fries with the net effect that a few
    Hindus and a few vegetarians can now eat fries. So everybody gets
    diminished quality, so a few more people can crowd into your friendly
    neighborhood McD's.

    (Try cooking some at home in rendered tallow. Or goose fat. Or duck fat.
    It's a whole different experience.)

    I think McD's has really gone overboard trying to offend nobody; to
    please everybody. They've been trapped by so much ignorant foolishness -
    they changed their burger packaging in bowing to public opinion with the
    final result that the newer packaging is less biodegradable. That whole
    [censored] episode with Stella pouring hot coffee in her lap and blaming
    it on McD that uses the same machines and same industry standards as
    every other foodservice operation.

    Were it my company, I'd say, I'm sorry all you people who don't want any
    contact with beef (DUH! We're a freakin burger joint!) be advised that
    beef fumes permeate our kitchens and we fry our potatoes in clean beef
    tallow so they taste better than everybody else's. I wonder how many
    Hindus eat in McD's in the States. And vegetarians. Can't serve everybody.

    One of the great (and not so great) things about the US is the vast,
    vast number of choices there are for where to eat. And where not to eat.

    Pastorio

  13. Bob (this one) said:


    Potatoes cooked in beef tallow taste better, brown better, crisp better.
    It was one of their early trade secrets and why their fries were
    unarguably better than everybody else's. Now, they're routine. They
    dumbed down the quality of their fries with the net effect that a few
    Hindus and a few vegetarians can now eat fries. So everybody gets
    diminished quality, so a few more people can crowd into your friendly
    neighborhood McD's.

    How long ago did they switch? It's been many, many years since I ate in a
    McDs and I don't remember their fries ever being good.

  14. Dave Smith said:
    Bob (this one) said:

    Potatoes cooked in beef tallow taste better, brown better, crisp better.
    It was one of their early trade secrets and why their fries were
    unarguably better than everybody else's. Now, they're routine. They
    dumbed down the quality of their fries with the net effect that a few
    Hindus and a few vegetarians can now eat fries. So everybody gets
    diminished quality, so a few more people can crowd into your friendly
    neighborhood McD's.

    How long ago did they switch? It's been many, many years since I ate in a
    McDs and I don't remember their fries ever being good.

    That's what happens when you get old.

    Pastorio

  15. Bob (this one) said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Potatoes cooked in beef tallow taste better, brown better, crisp better.
    It was one of their early trade secrets and why their fries were
    unarguably better than everybody else's. Now, they're routine. They
    dumbed down the quality of their fries with the net effect that a few
    Hindus and a few vegetarians can now eat fries. So everybody gets
    diminished quality, so a few more people can crowd into your friendly
    neighborhood McD's.

    How long ago did they switch? It's been many, many years since I ate in a
    McDs and I don't remember their fries ever being good.

    That's what happens when you get old.

    LOL Maybe I should rephrase that and say that I remember them not being great.
    :-)

  16. _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If they added anything to the beef patties, they'd have to declare it.
    It's the law. And they're not stupid enough to try to sneak it by; the
    public reaction would be overwhelming.

    McDonalds has a history of not declairing all of the additives to their
    products. There have been at least two cases I can think of were beef
    tallow was included in their fries or in the oil and it wasn't
    declared.

    Doesn't sound like you're too sure what you're on about.

    I apologize. I was operating under the assumption based on your
    previous post that you liked to stay informed and therefore paid
    attention to the news. So let me clear up the way I sound with some
    facts for you to digest.

    Circa 3 weeks ago:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/15/mcdonald.s.fries.ap/index.html
    McDonald's had said until recently that its fries were free of gluten
    and milk or wheat allergens and safe to eat for those with dietary
    issues related to the consumption of dairy items. But the fast-food
    company quietly added "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" this month
    to the french fries listing on its Web site.
    <snip>
    The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian
    groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in
    beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence in 1990 that it was
    abandoning beef tallow for pure vegetable oil.

    <snip of your goal post moving>

    --
    .-'😉) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
    ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
    ((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
    ((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

  17. Darla Vladschyk said:

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:05:22 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden] (Glitter

    Ninja) said:

    OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.

    LOL! Hiya Stacia! Great to read you again! Am I still on your
    Ladder of Hate? 'Cause I never stopped loving you, you know.

    Quit it, ya big kiss-up: Stacia's roastiing an asswipe! Wait until
    she's through.

    --
    Chris McG.
    Harming humanity since 1951.
    "What do you expect from a bunch of kiwi smoking sheep herders?" --
    oTTo

    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  18. Bob (this one) said:

    When I ran a ski resort foodservice operation, we made what we called
    our "Junior Burgers" and patted them out in a public kitchen where
    people could see them being done. Hundreds every day. Guess how much
    they weighed?

    Are you sure it wasn't Band Camp? Is your last name Stiffler? My guess
    is the "hamburger" was mostly fat, which is filler. Try making a patty
    with round steak ground, and watch it fall apart.

    Quoted message said:

    No, try again.

    Um, no, another guess...

    Right 1/5 of a pound. Precisely 3.2 ounces.

    And you weighed each and every one of those patties on a scale? Those
    poor, hungry little children waiting for a sizzling hot Junior Burger
    had to wait extra long for the weigh-in and then got a cold hamburger!
    Sadist.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Really? Then just smoosh it together a bit more.

    OH WHAT A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU MR. AMAZING COOKING MAN.

    <LOL> See how utterly moronic you are...

    YOU NEED A REST, BOB! LOL!! GOD BLESS!

    Quoted message said:

    No, you wouldn't. Too much of a moron. Not too good at catching sarcasm,
    either.

    Here are two salient facts:
    1) Handling ground meat more makes it stick together more. Pressing it
    together makes it stay together and results in a more substantial "bite"
    when eating it.
    2) Your writing skills are right up there with your reading, logic, math
    and culinary ones.

    I don't know, she's managed to expose you as a pompous, ignorant
    jackass who thinks Burger King hamburger is Grade A. Of course your
    help was invaluable in doing this.

    --
    Chris McG.
    Harming humanity since 1951.
    "What do you expect from a bunch of kiwi smoking sheep herders?" --
    oTTo

    *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

  19. Faux_Pseudo said:

    _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._

    Quoted message said:

    If they added anything to the beef patties, they'd have to declare it.
    It's the law. And they're not stupid enough to try to sneak it by; the
    public reaction would be overwhelming.

    An extra note to my other reply for this section of you post.

    McDonalds has a history of not declairing all of the aditives to their
    products. There have been at least two cases I can think of were beef
    tallow was included in their fries or in the oil and it wasn't
    declared.

    Those were the days before it was required and the frying oil was
    probably considered a trade secret. Personally, I didn't care.

    Quoted message said:

    People other than Hindus and vegetarians never seemed to
    react at all.

    That's because the fries were crispy and they tasted REALLY good.
    Hindu's (McDonald's wasn't worldwide or even nationwide at one point,
    believe it or not) and vegetarians were barely a blip on the radar
    screen in those days. Why either would ever want to eat at McDonald's
    still confuses me.

    Today, McDonald's FF aren't what they used to be... but they're still
    a lot better than their chain competitors.

    http://www.rense.com/general7/whyy.htm

    For decades McDonald's cooked its french fries in a mixture of about
    seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow. The mixture
    gave the fries their unique flavor -- and more saturated beef fat per
    ounce than a McDonald's hamburger.

    In 1990, amid a barrage of criticism over the amount of cholesterol in
    its fries, McDonald's switched to pure vegetable oil. This presented
    the company with a challenge: how to make fries that subtly taste like
    beef without cooking them in beef tallow. A look at the ingredients in
    McDonald's french fries suggests how the problem was solved. Toward
    the end of the list is a seemingly innocuous yet oddly mysterious
    phrase: "natural flavor." That ingredient helps to explain not only
    why the fries taste so good but also why most fast food -- indeed,
    most of the food Americans eat today -- tastes the way it does.
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

  20. Faux_Pseudo said:

    The company paid $10 million in 2002 to settle a lawsuit by vegetarian
    groups after it was disclosed that its fries were cooked in
    beef-flavored oil despite the company's insistence

    I don't know how that sham make it through the courts. McDonald's
    used beef flavoring and they certainly didn't hide the fact. I knew.
    Why didn't you?
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.