rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: Buying a Freestyle Unicycle

Started by leo · · Last activity · 20 posts · 391 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
5 December 2006
Last activity
16 December 2006
Original author
leo
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
391
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jeffvt said:

    What is a cheap but good quality freestyle unicycle?

    Jeffvt said:

    I'm looking for a pretty good one, preferably under $200.

    Jeffvt said:

    What is wrong with going with the cheapest unicycle I can get that has
    the flat part above the wheel? Is there a big difference?

    Quality: take Semcycle XL freestyle, and compare it to that Siegmono
    one that LOOKS exactly the same and -how typical- has almost the same
    measures, and is cheaper.... the Siegmono does'nt have a heat-treated
    chromoly hub, heat-treated chromoly crancks, heat-treated chromoly axes
    in the pedals, and the tubing might not even be chromoly steel. These
    features makes production expensive, but your unicycle -on the long
    term- cheaper that the cheap model.

    Or take the Nimbus 2007; it does'nt have a decent crown. With skills
    that produces forces like 'these' (http://tinyurl.com/y3w6th), I rather
    have a stronger connection between the tubes. Again such a crown will
    involve more welding, and again will cost $omething more. But if it
    prevents your frame from bending or even breaking...

    So my independant advice: take the $220 'Semcycle XL'
    (http://store.semcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=9) freestyle. I
    use that myself to for stand-up skills, for all other stuff I ride the
    Semcycle Pro 20".

    --
    leo

    Leo Vandewoestijne
    1 866-UNI-CYCL
    *| 'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) | 'unicycle.biz'
    (http://www.unicycle.biz/) | 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://www.unicyclist.org/) | 'uniconnews.com'
    (http://www.uniconnews.com/) |*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  2. What about the Torker LX? Wouldn't this be perfect for what he is
    looking for?

    Cheap, relatively slim seatpost clamp, and what I believe is a good
    crown.

    Isn't that exactly what he is looking for?

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  3. Does anyone else think an LX will work for me?

    --
    Jeffvt
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jeffvt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13884
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  4. well yeah i do, its pretty strong, got an okish freestyle frame and its
    got a myata style saddle which are really nice for freestyle...

    --
    brendan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  5. leo said:

    Or take the Nimbus 2007; it does'nt have a decent crown. With skills
    that produces forces like.

    The new Nimbus X 2007 frame is no normal frame; it is fully made from
    CrMo with a 100mm CrMo insert at the crown welded on both the top and
    bottom of the crown. It is made like this to offer a big foot area
    with greater rigidity along with it's streamlined design reducing knee
    knocking. The frame is based on the Max Daddy frame made by Gus in
    Minnesota and the exact trick that you show is done by Max (the famous
    frame breaker who weighs considerably more than you!) on the MaxDaddy
    frame and has never broken it!

    Have a look at Trev's old Sem XL frame....
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46510
    (I know it says it is a Nimbus but it is not, this is an XL having a
    bad day)

    The Sem XL frame is not CrMo at all, it does not have machined bearing
    housings. The wheel, while it may have a CrMo spindle, has flanges 25%
    narrower than the Nimbus and only 36 spokes. The Nimbus X wheel offers
    considerably more rigidity and robustness over the Semcycle XL.
    Comparing the two unicycles is like comparing a Ford Escort to a
    Porsche. A better unicycle for less price!

    leo said:

    So my independant advice:

    B****cks!

    Independent! who are you trying to fool Leo. Please be up front about
    your connections with Sem. I openly admit I have connections with
    Nimbus and Unicycle.com and I will be biased in what I say. You should
    do the same with Semcycle.

    http://semcycle.nl/html/very-special.php

    skate4flip... the frame you are referring to is not the one that leo is
    dissing

    Roger (or known in the office today as the grumpy old man)

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  6. What are the advantages to machined bearing holders? They look nice but
    do they do a better job of holding the bearings than the other kind?

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  7. Bearings last longer, probably more important on a trials uni.

    --
    president_luke
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    president_luke's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11036
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  8. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    The wheel, while it may have a CrMo spindle, has flanges 25% narrower
    than the Nimbus

    A wide hub, such as the unicycle.com CrMo hub, isn't always an
    advantage. The unicycle.com hub is too wide to fit in a Koxx one
    Signature frame, for example. I've tried

    --
    dinmamma
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dinmamma's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9995
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  9. since both have 100mm centres on the bearings it is odd you can not fit
    them together?

    The UDC wide flange hub came about because of a reality check. We
    realised that the standard hub was based around a standard bike hub and
    then the bearings placed to fit a lollypop bearing. That is old hat
    and not required, so the flanges were moved out to match the modern
    bearing housings.

    If it does not fit the Koxx frame then I would suggest that it is a
    design feature of the koxx design not to include other hubs.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  10. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    Have a look at Trev's old Sem XL frame....
    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46510
    (I know it says it is a Nimbus but it is not, this is an XL having a
    bad day)

    The Sem XL frame is not CrMo at all, and more bla bla bla

    I'm sorry but watching the parts (crancks and pedals) and
    _especially_the_distance_between_tire_and_crown_, I'm pretty sure that
    that is no Semcycle XL at all, but probably a Siegmono or another
    replica. Maybe a Nimbus like the title said? Like I wrote in my earlier
    reply they LOOK very alike. But they are not. So I think that picture
    is a good proof of it, and showed exactly what I was warning for.

    rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    Comparing the two unicycles is like comparing a Ford Escort to a
    Porsche.

    I agree, though Semcycle always used to be called the Rolls Royce among
    uncycles. The comfort and durability never disapointed me. And after
    more than 10 years I still daily ride my 1st and 2nd unicycle I ever
    bought. For that reason I gladly recommend it to anyone who'se asking
    what's a good freestyle unicycle to buy.

    rogeratunicycledotcom said:


    B****cks!

    Independent! who are you trying to fool Leo. Please be up front about
    your connections with Sem. I openly admit I have connections with
    Nimbus and Unicycle.com and I will be biased in what I say. You should
    do the same with Semcycle.

    I'm sorry for you but I have no connection with Semcycle. If I want one
    I pay exact the same price like any other person. If Semcycle sells
    something (or not) does not affect me in any way. At least no other
    that I'm happy for them (just like I'm happy for you if you sell
    something), but especially happy for the new unicycle-owner, as s/he
    bough a great product.
    But I have not any relation with any unicycle manufacturer or shop at
    all. I do sell some my own unicycle related t-shirts online. As that's
    just t-shirts I still dare to call my advice independant.
    In the past I've had offers by at least 3 unicycle brands (EXcluding
    Semcycle) and by some other unicycle-companies to join, but I've never
    felt that much attracted to give up my freedom*!!!*

    If you based yourself on wrong information, no problem. But otherwise I
    wonder who's fooling who.
    I don't feel for talking in ****'s as well, still I like to mention I'm
    dissapointed that you feel the need to implicate I'm not honest.

    --
    leo

    Leo Vandewoestijne
    1 866-UNI-CYCL
    *| 'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) | 'unicycle.biz'
    (http://www.unicycle.biz/) | 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://www.unicyclist.org/) | 'uniconnews.com'
    (http://www.uniconnews.com/) |*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  11. leo said:

    I'm sorry but watching the parts (crancks and pedals) and
    _especially_the_distance_between_tire_and_crown_, I'm pretty sure that
    that is no Semcycle XL at all, but probably a Siegmono or another
    replica.

    Semcycle sells a normal 20" XL as well as the longneck freestyle so
    couldn't it be the normal verson? That one has more tire clearance than
    the freestyle one.

    --
    Spencer Hochberg

    'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
    (http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

    GizmoDuck said:

    If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
    wall


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  12. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    since both have 100mm centres on the bearings it is odd you can not fit
    them together?

    The Signature frame does fit a Qu-ax hub though, as well as Koxx hubs,
    obviously. So the problem as I see it, is that the flanges of the
    unicycle.com hub extend too far, and there's no space between the
    bearings and flanges for the housings to fit.

    --
    dinmamma
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dinmamma's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9995
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  13. Spencer Hochberg said:

    couldn't it be the normal verson?

    The regular models use to have a smaller crown, but maybe they're
    recent models do have a wider one. I don't know. Still it was refered
    to as old frame. If it isn't it an XL it wont be the 1st time a shop
    sell another brand as being a Semcycle. And if it is an XL I still see
    non-semcycle parts and so would like to see if he kept the Semcycle hub
    in it (or bend the frame to fit his wheel).

    rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    The Sem XL frame is not CrMo at all

    Maybe that's a wrong asumption of me, maybe not. However the tubing is
    obviously better than the replica's, that I did'nt even recognized as
    replica -untill I touched it-.
    Still both a Semcycle XL with upgraded pedals and a Semcycle Pro have a
    heat-treated chromoly hub, heat-treated chromoly crancks, heat-treated
    chromoly axes in the pedals. As far as I know Semcycle is the only
    brand who does that.
    And the chromoly UDC hub is not heat-treathed, or is it?

    rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    Max (the famous frame breaker who weighs considerably more than you!)

    Also more than both a friend of me and myself who 'are applieng weird
    forces to the XL' (http://tinyurl.com/yf9esl)?
    Based on my own experience of over 10 years, and owning many different
    Semcycles, it still keeps by far my prefered choise of unicycle. And
    again; I'm not having any benefit to waste my time on broadcasting that
    message.

    --
    leo

    Leo Vandewoestijne
    1 866-UNI-CYCL
    *| 'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) | 'unicycle.biz'
    (http://www.unicycle.biz/) | 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://www.unicyclist.org/) | 'uniconnews.com'
    (http://www.uniconnews.com/) |*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  14. Leo, The frame that was sold to Trevor was a Sem XL frame. It was
    purchased from the US section of Unicycle.com by ourselves for him - it
    is nothing to do with Sigmono as he does not sell to unicycle.com. I
    have the purchase invoice. He then sold it on the Gary and it broke at
    the Emu Hockey tournament earlier this year. These are all facts, no
    speculation about it.

    I do not deny that the Sem XL is a very good frame, it is or that Sem
    unicycles were known as the Rolls Royce among unicycles, they were.
    Although things move on, the developments in unicycles over the past 5
    years have been immerse and you were comparing here the very latest
    design, that I do not believe you have even seen never mind actually
    tested, with basically a standard (although good) frame.

    I did not accuse you of lieing, you are very trustworthy and honist,
    that is not what I meant, I do apologise; although I wanted you to
    explain your connections with Sem, these you still have not done fully
    in my opinion, but this is my opinion. I think that should anyone look
    on any Sem website they will see you there or should they talk to you
    it becomes apparent your connections with Sem. You can not be seen as
    impartial when you are talking about something so close to your heart.
    I think it is always best to be clear in statments like this that you
    do have a bias.

    I am biased, I admit it but I am too close to Unicycle.com or Nimbus
    products to claim to be unbiased. I have great reaspect for the design
    of Sem, kh, Bedford, Schlumpf, Koxx, quax and others, their inovations
    and contributions to the development of unicycles is on going. It is
    great to be in such a vibrant market place.

    Just for the record, my personal unicycles include a DM, a Pashley, a
    Miyata, 3 Nimbus protypes, a schlumpf, a KH, an onza, a few mongrals
    and of course a splattering of carbon unicycles.

    You want to know if the UDC hub is heat treated, yes it is to a
    hardness of 580 Vicors. This is well documented. I have done full
    harness test on all the hubs and it has been posted on the forum in the
    past. The majority of UDC pedals have CrMo spindles, this is
    standard. Billot cast aluminium cranks do not need post production
    heat treatment from what I understand to acheive their optimium
    harness.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  15. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    He then sold it on the Gary and it broke at the Emu Hockey tournament
    earlier this year. These are all facts, no speculation about it.

    He actually broke it at a Kidderminster uni meet - things don't break
    at EMU tournaments - they're high quality hockey tournaments not
    destruction derbys 🙂 - we save breaking things for Tuesday night
    practises as we don't want to put off our guests 😉

    Roland

    --
    roland
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    roland's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5937
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  16. Thanks for the correction Roland. It was one I was not at.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  17. Would the Nimbus X 20" (
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=743 ) be a good choice
    for freestyle? It's one of the cheapest decent looking freestyle
    unicycle I found. I guess the LX looks fine; is this much of an
    upgrade from that?

    Is the Semcycle better, and why, if it is? The Nimus X looks as good,
    at a lower cost compared to the Sem with all the upgrades.

    The Nimus X description:

    # Tubular steel longneck 300mm frame with squared top for one-foot
    skills, black powder-coated finish.
    # Unicycle.com wide-flange CrMO hardened steel hub and 48-count
    stainless-steel silver spokes.
    # Bearings:6203 40mm sealed
    # 114-mm silver alloy crank arms
    # Double-walled 48-hole alloy rim with nipple eyelets.
    # Nimbus Gel Saddle - low profile saddle with gel insert for more
    comfort with front handle and rear protective bumper, black with red
    Nimbus logo.
    # Kenda Kikzumbut black 20 x 1.95 freestyle tire, inflates to 65 psi.
    # Steel 22.2mm seatpost 300mm
    # Black plastic 9/16 pedals
    # 5-mm Double allen wrench seat post clamp
    # Weight: 4.9kg or 10.8 lbs.

    --
    SNES350
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SNES350's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12624
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  18. the nimbus X is better than the LX, for some simple reasons, the Nx
    (nimbus X) has a double walled eyeletted rim while the LX has a single
    walled rim.

    also note the shorter cranks on the Nx this is probably better for
    freestyle, the LX cranks are abit long.

    The frame is much nicer on the Nx, its crmo (not sure if lx is either)
    and is much higher and made for freestyle. As rodger said before its a
    custom made frame for freestyle, and although having never tried it, it
    looks very good.

    Also notice the saddles, although personal preference, i've heard
    people complaining about the myata type/LX saddles because they are
    wider, but i've never heard anyone say anything bad about the nimbus
    gel Velo style saddle....

    As to wether all this is worth $75 extra, thats for you to decide. But
    i think $175 is a very good price to pay for the nimbus X.

    --
    brendan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brendan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13680
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  19. Is there a significant difference between the Kenda Kikzumbut and other
    freestyle tyres? I'd rather order a better tyre with it now than have
    to pay separate shipping later, if there is a big discrepancy.

    --
    SNES350
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SNES350's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12624
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

  20. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    Leo, etc

    Roger, thanks a lot for taking your time for your replay. I realy do
    appreciate.

    With these new details I wont speculate on the frame. Still I doubt
    wether we've heared all the essential parts of this story. I only can
    say my semcycles never bend or broke, and certainly not all over sudden
    while "just riding".

    Sorry for defending to you against a wrong asumption of me (thinking
    you accuse me of lieng).

    Though I wonder what 3 photos on semcycle.nl (as far I know the only
    semcycle website I'm at), should prove?
    To extend the list I summed up before:
    - I've never worked as model for semcycle
    - I've never worked for semcycle at all
    - the photographer -a good friend of me- was not paid for these
    pictures, he donated them and donated his time.
    - I've checked the bookkeeping; Semcycle never was customer of any of
    my companies.

    The majority of UDC pedals may have CrMo spindles, but are THESE
    heat-treated to? And the chromoly cranks? I've great experience with
    having ALL these part BOTH in chromoly AND heat-treated. I have bad
    experience with anything else.

    I did'nt know the UDC hub was heat-treated. When I asked you in
    Minneapolis you did'nt gave a clear answer. Then again I asked for a
    yes or no, and still did'nt get the answer. Also I asked before at UDC
    US as well without getting a clear answer. So after 3 times asking I
    started to get doubts.

    rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    you can not be seen as impartial when you are talking about something so
    close to your heart. I think it is always best to be clear in statments
    like this that you do have a bias.

    So if I'm just a happy customer I can't be impartial? Why do you want
    so badly make believe I have a bias? Especially YOU should know
    better!

    The only reason for this, that I can imagen, is that I in person
    prevented Chemcrest LTD obtaining a domain under -according the
    lawyers- an expired and irrelevant trademark that belonged to a non-EU
    company (while only EU companies were allowed to apply). But I cannot
    believe you want to be frustrated and "crumpy" for such a childish
    reason. I think you're older and wiser than that.

    So still I don't get it why you like to see things there aren't there.
    I simply have no benefit at all when recommending someone a Semcycle.
    Therefore I claim to be independant. It's just my very own opinion,
    based on my own experience.

    --
    leo

    Leo Vandewoestijne
    1 866-UNI-CYCL
    *| 'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/) | 'unicycle.biz'
    (http://www.unicycle.biz/) | 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://www.unicyclist.org/) | 'uniconnews.com'
    (http://www.uniconnews.com/) |*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55335

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.