Re: Chocolate

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Priscilla Ballou, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    Ignoramus2605 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I happen to like chocolate. Lately, I have been eating unsweetened
    > chocolate (from the baking secion of the store, 2 net carbs per ounce,
    > no sugal alcohols etc), it does not seem to be doing any obvious
    > harm. Usually, 1 oz a day is what I eat, if I eat it at all. Since it
    > is concentrated, chocolate wise it may be equivalent to several ounces
    > of diluted "milk" chocolate. My question is, am I somehow "setting
    > myself up for failure", is there some good reason not to eat that
    > chocolate? One of the reasons why I eat it is that I do not get enough
    > sleep (due to having a certain project) and it keeps me up. Any
    > thoughts?

    Below is the fitday.com breakdown for one ounce of unsweetened
    chocolate. Looks like you're getting about four net grams of carb per
    ounce, with a good amount of fiber. Plus chocolate has some chemicals
    in it that are really good for you. (Specifics archived from brain.)
    As long as you're not on induction and need to be spending those 4 grams
    on vegies, I don't see a problem. Personally, I usually eat some dark
    chocolate daily -- a few squares. The darker the chocolate the less
    sugar in it and the higher the concentration of the good stuff.

    Priscilla

    Nutrition Facts

    Amount Per 1 square (1 oz)
    Calories 147.99
    Calories from Fat 141.1

    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 15.68g 24%
        Saturated Fat 9.24g 46%
        Polyunsaturated Fat 0.499g
        Monounsaturated Fat 5.23g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 3.97mg 0%
    Potassium 236.16mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 8.02g 3%
        Dietary Fiber 4.37g 17%
    Protein 2.92g 6%
    "You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
    certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

    Tags:

  2. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:30:43 GMT, Priscilla Ballou <vze23[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Ignoramus2605 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I happen to like chocolate. Lately, I have been eating unsweetened
    >> chocolate (from the baking secion of the store, 2 net carbs per ounce,
    >> no sugal alcohols etc), it does not seem to be doing any obvious
    >> harm. Usually, 1 oz a day is what I eat, if I eat it at all. Since it
    >> is concentrated, chocolate wise it may be equivalent to several ounces
    >> of diluted "milk" chocolate. My question is, am I somehow "setting
    >> myself up for failure", is there some good reason not to eat that
    >> chocolate? One of the reasons why I eat it is that I do not get enough
    >> sleep (due to having a certain project) and it keeps me up. Any
    >> thoughts?

    > Below is the fitday.com breakdown for one ounce of unsweetened
    > chocolate. Looks like you're getting about four net grams of carb per
    > ounce, with a good amount of fiber. Plus chocolate has some chemicals
    > in it that are really good for you. (Specifics archived from brain.)
    > As long as you're not on induction and need to be spending those 4 grams
    > on vegies, I don't see a problem. Personally, I usually eat some dark
    > chocolate daily -- a few squares. The darker the chocolate the less
    > sugar in it and the higher the concentration of the good stuff.
    >
    > Priscilla
    >

    > Nutrition Facts
    >
    > Amount Per 1 square (1 oz)
    > Calories 147.99
    > Calories from Fat 141.1
    >
    > % Daily Value *
    > Total Fat 15.68g 24%
    >     Saturated Fat 9.24g 46%
    >     Polyunsaturated Fat 0.499g
    >     Monounsaturated Fat 5.23g
    > Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    > Sodium 3.97mg 0%
    > Potassium 236.16mg 7%
    > Total Carbohydrate 8.02g 3%
    >     Dietary Fiber 4.37g 17%
    > Protein 2.92g 6%

    But see:

    http://www.scharffenberger.com/nutri_info4.php

    The values there are much different than the values quoted above.

    --
    Bob in CT

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Not to mention it TASTES way better. Tastes like CHOCOLATE, by god.
    Never got the attraction of "milk chocolate". Compared to dark, it just
    tastes SWEET to me. Of course candy makers/bakers etc like it, because
    it's CHEAP.

    Dan

    Priscilla Ballou wrote:
    > Personally, I usually eat some dark
    > chocolate daily -- a few squares. The darker the chocolate the less
    > sugar in it and the higher the concentration of the good stuff.

  4. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    I like to add either some vanilla extract or peppermint extract to my cocoa
    powder.

    (I also add gray market carbless splenda, and saccharine.) (wish me luck!)

    news:[email protected]

    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Not to mention it TASTES way better. Tastes like CHOCOLATE, by god.
    > > Never got the attraction of "milk chocolate". Compared to dark, it just
    > > tastes SWEET to me. Of course candy makers/bakers etc like it, because
    > > it's CHEAP.

    > My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saying it so well.
    >
    > Compared to milk "chocolate", bakers chocolate is the real deal -- a
    > real chocolate for a much lower price per gram of pure chocolate, than
    > most chocolate bars. I do not care for sweetness any more.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But see:
    >
    > http://www.scharffenberger.com/nutri_info4.php
    >
    > The values there are much different than the values quoted above.

    Yes, they do appear to be. They're also for 1.4 oz, not 1 oz.

    I just pulled a package of Baker's unsweetened off my pantry shelf.
    That says it has 4 grams carb gross less 2 grams fiber = 2 grams carb
    per 1/2 square. 1 square = 1 ounce, so that's 4 grams net carb per
    ounce and fits with the fitday figures I quoted upthread.

    Sharffenberger may be putting something else into their unsweetened
    chocolate, or their formula may be different. There are a wide variety
    of chocolate varieties, and different chocolate specialty houses (like
    Sharffenberger) will select specific varieties to use in their
    chocolate. Possibly the chocolate they use is higher in carb than the
    variety(ies) used in the Baker's product. I learned a lot about
    chocolates the other day at chocosphere.com (while I was placing an
    order!).

    Priscilla
    --
    "You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
    certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Cubit wrote:
    :: I like to add either some vanilla extract or peppermint extract to
    :: my cocoa powder.
    ::
    :: (I also add gray market carbless splenda, and saccharine.) (wish me
    :: luck!)

    So exactly what is this stuff you make? As cocoa powder has lots of fiber,
    this might be an interesting way to get more.

  7. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    I change my recipe often. Sometimes I make a shake in about 100 ounces of
    liquid. Sometimes I make a paste that is like thick cake frosting or bit
    like the fudge brownies my grandmother used to make.

    Typical paste version:
    1 ounce coconut milk
    1 ounce heavy cream
    1 ounce cocoa powder
    one raw egg yolk
    15 grams of L-Glutamine powder
    1 scoop of low carb Isopure protein powder (it comes with the scooper)
    Liquid Splenda
    Liquid Saccharine
    10 drops of peppermint extract

    I mix the powders and the liquids separately, and then combine them and mix
    them manually into a very soft paste. After about an hour in the
    refrigerator it hardens into a thick paste.

    This is makes about 6 ounces of paste. I have between .8 ounce and 1.2
    ounce of the paste per hour between about 9AM and 4 PM. It feels very
    filling and seems indulgent. The whole bowl comes to around 400 calories.

    Before 9AM I might have a cup of coffee and an ounce of cheese. 5 to 7PM
    could be LC ice cream, salami, or whatever. The whole day can come to 1000
    calories. This helps make the average about 1400 per day after dining out
    on some other days.

    Some folks might just not eat in preparation for a large evening dinner. If
    I were eating a lot all week I would do that too. However, when I regularly
    run restricted calories, I find it impossible to not eat in preparation for
    a large dinner. So, the paste keeps me satisfied through the day until the
    dinner. I dine out primarily for the social aspects of it. At home I
    rarely eat after 7PM.

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cubit wrote:
    > :: I like to add either some vanilla extract or peppermint extract to
    > :: my cocoa powder.
    > ::
    > :: (I also add gray market carbless splenda, and saccharine.) (wish me
    > :: luck!)
    >

    > So exactly what is this stuff you make? As cocoa powder has lots of

    fiber,
    > this might be an interesting way to get more.

  8. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Very interesting.

    I do something similar, but different when running restricted (not all of
    the time, though).

    I make a pudding:

    1 scoup Designer chocolate protein powder
    7 Tbsp sour cream
    Liquid splenda syrup base

    That has 300 calories. I eat it as a meal, usually after the gym or evening
    workout.

    I also make cheese rollups using a LC tortilla.

    1 LC torilla
    2 slices kraft cheese.

    That has 240 calories. I'll eat one of those along with a McD sausage
    pattie (170 kcals) in the morning on the way to work. That brings me to 410
    kcals for breakfast, plus coffee w/ 1 cream (34 kcals). Total: 434 kcals.

    Lunch will be garden salad w/ 3 oz chicken breast: 264 kcals.

    So by dinner I'm at about 700 kcals. On lifting nights I'll have another
    cheese rollup before going to the gym. Then another after the gym along
    with protein pudding.

    Total: 1480 kcals.

    Some days I'll skip a roll up to drop back to 1240 kcals.

    I'll do 500-600 kcals worth of cardio spread over am/pm depending on time.
    On weekends I typically more as I'm going out on dates and can't count that
    closely. I eat a lot more veggies then, too. Sometimes I'll do a movie on
    Tuesday or Thursday with a gf, so that alters things too (she likes
    popcorn!).

    If I know I'm going out to dinner on a given night, I just won't eat all day
    prior. I'll do cardio too.

    ::: Cubit wrote:
    ::::: I like to add either some vanilla extract or peppermint extract to
    ::::: my cocoa powder.
    :::::
    ::::: (I also add gray market carbless splenda, and saccharine.) (wish
    ::::: me luck!)
    :::
    ::

  9. Roger Zoul wrote:
> [...]

    > :: paste keeps me satisfied through the day until the dinner. I dine
    > :: out primarily for the social aspects of it. At home I rarely eat
    > :: after 7PM.
    > ::
    > ::
    > :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > :: news:[email protected]
    > ::: Cubit wrote:
    > ::::: I like to add either some vanilla extract or peppermint extract

    > ::::: my cocoa powder.
    > :::::
    > ::::: (I also add gray market carbless splenda, and saccharine.)

    (wish
    > ::::: me luck!)
    > :::
    > ::
    > ::: So exactly what is this stuff you make? As cocoa powder has lots
    > ::: of fiber, this might be an interesting way to get more.

    Nice ideas!

    Martha