General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Cholesterol rose with low carb

Started by Opinicus · · Last activity · 17 posts · 606 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 December 2004
Last activity
24 December 2004
Original author
Opinicus
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
606
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Piotr Tomaszewski" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I went low carbing about 7 months ago and lost 8 lbs. I did
    not have very
    much to lose. My cholesterol rose from 173 to 286, HDL
    stayed about same
    at 61, and LDL rose from 107 to 218. My trigs went lower
    from 85 to
    58. I am concerned for my health and am considering
    switching my diet. Is
    there someone else who had similar problems.

    This is a problem only if you and/or your physician
    interprets it as a problem. Your numbers are fairly close to
    my own: LDL about doubled, HDL stayed flat; trigs about
    halved. LDL is *good* for you. So are low trigs. If your HDL
    is high to begin with you may see some reduction in it on LC
    but the surge in LDL (good cholesterol) tends to be more
    than enough to mask the decline in that and triglycerides.
    Savvy doctors nowadays don't look just at the total number:
    they look at the relative proportions of the cholesterol
    components and from my own personal experience, I'd say
    yours look pretty good.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  2. Opinicus said:

    "Piotr Tomaszewski" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I went low carbing about 7 months ago and lost 8 lbs. I did not have
    very
    much to lose. My cholesterol rose from 173 to 286, HDL stayed about same
    at 61, and LDL rose from 107 to 218. My trigs went lower from 85 to
    58. I am concerned for my health and am considering switching my diet.
    Is
    there someone else who had similar problems.

    This is a problem only if you and/or your physician interprets it as a
    problem. Your numbers are fairly close to my own: LDL about doubled, HDL
    stayed flat; trigs about halved. LDL is *good* for you. So are low
    trigs. If your HDL is high to begin with you may see some reduction in
    it on LC but the surge in LDL (good cholesterol) tends to be more than
    enough to mask the decline in that and triglycerides. Savvy doctors
    nowadays don't look just at the total number: they look at the relative
    proportions of the cholesterol components and from my own personal
    experience, I'd say yours look pretty good.

    Aren't these reversed? (ie, LDL is bad for you; HDL is good for you)

    --
    Bob in CT

  3. "Opinicus" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Sorry everybody. I got it backwards again. *HDL* is good.
    *LDL* is bad.

    After checking my records I see that in my case in the first
    10 months of returning to LC my HDL went from 70 to 100; my
    LDL went from 240 to 182; my trigs went from 74 to 72; total
    cholesterol went from 315 to 338. (During the same period,
    my weight went from 275 pounds to 234.)

    Piotr's experience is almost exactly the opposite of mine in
    other words. Sorry for any confusion or flame wars I may
    have caused.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  4. "Bob M" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Aren't these reversed? (ie, LDL is bad for you; HDL is
    good for you)

    Yes. >:-(

    Please see my "*HDL* is good. *LDL* is bad" correction,
    everybody; also:

    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=180

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Opinicus said:

    "Piotr Tomaszewski" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I went low carbing about 7 months ago and lost 8 lbs. I did
    not have very
    much to lose. My cholesterol rose from 173 to 286, HDL
    stayed about same
    at 61, and LDL rose from 107 to 218. My trigs went lower
    from 85 to
    58. I am concerned for my health and am considering
    switching my diet. Is
    there someone else who had similar problems.

    This is a problem only if you and/or your physician
    interprets it as a problem. Your numbers are fairly close to
    my own: LDL about doubled, HDL stayed flat; trigs about
    halved. LDL is *good* for you. So are low trigs. If your HDL
    is high to begin with you may see some reduction in it on LC
    but the surge in LDL (good cholesterol) tends to be more
    than enough to mask the decline in that and triglycerides.
    Savvy doctors nowadays don't look just at the total number:
    they look at the relative proportions of the cholesterol
    components and from my own personal experience, I'd say
    yours look pretty good.

    Uh, it's HDL which is the good one.

    Priscilla

    --
    "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
    of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
    The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
    - QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  6. Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's good, LDL is
    supposed to be Low because it's bad.

    In news:[email hidden],
    Opinicus <[email hidden]> stated
    | "Opinicus" <[email hidden]> wrote
    |
    | Sorry everybody. I got it backwards again. *HDL* is good.
    | *LDL* is bad.
    |
    | After checking my records I see that in my case in the first
    | 10 months of returning to LC my HDL went from 70 to 100; my
    | LDL went from 240 to 182; my trigs went from 74 to 72; total
    | cholesterol went from 315 to 338. (During the same period,
    | my weight went from 275 pounds to 234.)
    |
    | Piotr's experience is almost exactly the opposite of mine in
    | other words. Sorry for any confusion or flame wars I may
    | have caused.

  7. FOB said:

    Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's good, LDL is
    supposed to be Low because it's bad.

    I remember by H for healthy and L for lethal.
    ;-P

    --
    jamie ([email hidden])

    "There's a seeker born every minute."

  8. jamie wrote:
    || FOB <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ||| Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's
    ||| good, LDL is supposed to be Low because it's bad.
    ||
    || I remember by H for healthy and L for lethal.
    || ;-P

    I thought there were two components to LDL -- one good and one bad (fluffy
    large, etc). The good component rises on LC which is why LDL sometimes goes
    up.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    FOB said:

    Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's good, LDL is
    supposed to be Low because it's bad.

    I remember it as the "H" standing for "healthy."

    Priscilla

    --
    "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
    of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
    The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
    - QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Roger Zoul said:

    jamie wrote:
    || FOB <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ||| Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's
    ||| good, LDL is supposed to be Low because it's bad.
    ||
    || I remember by H for healthy and L for lethal.
    || ;-P

    I thought there were two components to LDL -- one good and one bad (fluffy
    large, etc). The good component rises on LC which is why LDL sometimes goes
    up.

    Those are characteristics of the LDL. You can determine which
    characcteristic could describe your LDL by looking at the ratio between
    triglyerides and HDL. Over 3 = denser and smaller (bad) Under 3 bigger
    and fluffier (good).

    Priscilla

    --
    "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
    of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
    The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
    - QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  11. I always think of it as Ldl=Lethal
    Hdl=Healthy

  12. Priscilla Ballou wrote:
    || In article <[email hidden]>,
    || "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ||
    ||| jamie wrote:
    ||||| FOB <[email hidden]> wrote:
    |||||| Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's
    |||||| good, LDL is supposed to be Low because it's bad.
    |||||
    ||||| I remember by H for healthy and L for lethal.
    ||||| ;-P
    |||
    ||| I thought there were two components to LDL -- one good and one bad
    ||| (fluffy large, etc). The good component rises on LC which is why
    ||| LDL sometimes goes up.
    ||
    || Those are characteristics of the LDL. You can determine which
    || characcteristic could describe your LDL by looking at the ratio
    || between triglyerides and HDL. Over 3 = denser and smaller (bad)
    || Under 3 bigger
    || and fluffier (good).

    Yeah....mine was fractional last time I checked it (under 1).

  13. "Priscilla Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I thought there were two components to LDL -- one good
    and one bad (fluffy
    large, etc). The good component rises on LC which is why
    LDL sometimes goes
    up.


    Those are characteristics of the LDL. You can determine
    which
    characcteristic could describe your LDL by looking at the
    ratio between
    triglyerides and HDL. Over 3 = denser and smaller (bad)
    Under 3 bigger
    and fluffier (good).

    (Ratio = LDL / trig) or (Ratio = trig / LDL)?

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  14. Opinicus wrote:
    || "Priscilla Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote
    ||
    |||| I thought there were two components to LDL -- one good
    |||| and one bad (fluffy
    |||| large, etc). The good component rises on LC which is why
    |||| LDL sometimes goes
    |||| up.
    ||| Those are characteristics of the LDL. You can determine
    ||| which
    ||| characcteristic could describe your LDL by looking at the
    ||| ratio between
    ||| triglyerides and HDL. Over 3 = denser and smaller (bad)
    ||| Under 3 bigger
    ||| and fluffier (good).
    ||
    || (Ratio = LDL / trig) or (Ratio = trig / LDL)?

    try Ratio = trig / HDL

  15. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    ||| ratio between
    ||| triglyerides and HDL. Over 3 = denser and smaller
    (bad)
    ||| Under 3 bigger
    ||| and fluffier (good).
    || (Ratio = LDL / trig) or (Ratio = trig / LDL)?

    Quoted message said:

    try Ratio = trig / HDL

    Gotta get new glasses. These can't seem to distinguish
    between initial "H" and initial "L"...

    My ratio works out to (72/100) or 0.72 on this basis.

    As I recall, there is also something called the "Framingham
    Index", which is defined as Total/HDL and in which the
    average risk for men is 5.0 and the average risk for women
    is 4.4. In this case too, lower is better. Mine was 3.38
    after 10 months on LC but it was already only 4.50 when I
    started.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Opinicus said:

    "Priscilla Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I thought there were two components to LDL -- one good
    and one bad (fluffy
    large, etc). The good component rises on LC which is why
    LDL sometimes goes
    up.


    Those are characteristics of the LDL. You can determine
    which
    characcteristic could describe your LDL by looking at the
    ratio between
    triglyerides and HDL. Over 3 = denser and smaller (bad)
    Under 3 bigger
    and fluffier (good).

    (Ratio = LDL / trig) or (Ratio = trig / LDL)?

    Neither. Ratio is tri/HDL.

    Priscilla

    --
    "It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
    of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
    The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
    - QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  17. On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:32:53 GMT, FOB wrote in
    alt.support.diet.low-carb:

    Quoted message said:

    Here's how to remember, HDL is supposed to be High because it's good, LDL is
    supposed to be Low because it's bad.

    A friend of mine recently came up with:

    "You got yer Happy cholesterol and you got yer Lousy choleserol"

    ....which has worked better for me than anything else to date.

    --
    6/2/2003 181/167/164?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.