General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Do These Cholesterol readings seem too low

Started by M. Schwartz · · Last activity · 1 post · 248 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 August 2003
Last activity
11 August 2003
Original author
M. Schwartz
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
248
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got back my bloodwork results. Do these Cholesterol readings seem too
    low (or can there be such a thing?)

    Total 134
    HDL 42
    LDL 71
    Triglycerides 156

    As I remember, 6 months and a year ago Total was about 160, HDL about 42, and
    LDL about 95.

    I take 60 MG of Lipitor a day (which I decided on my own to cut back to 40 for
    a couple of weeks) and 50 MG of Niacin every other day. I work out at the gym
    about 5 days a week and I am overweight and have arthritis. I've been having
    some pains lately which I attribute to either the workouts or the arthritis.
    I'm sure the Dr. did the appropriate blood test for muscle problems caused by
    statins, but I wanted to call back and be sure. So, a second question is does
    anyone know what this test is called?

    Thanks.

    Bill

    It's called a liver enzyme test and measures AST/SGOT and ALT/SGPT.
    Just call the office and inquire about your liver enzyme report. I
    always get a copy of my blood tests and any high or low result is
    indicated on the test result.

    Too low? There is disagreement on that issue. Some will say yes and
    some will say no.

    Have you had a bypass?

    Your Triglyceride total could stand an improvement. I have similar
    cholesterol numbers (TC 133, HDL 38, LDL 81) but my Triglyceride total
    is 65.

    I take 10 mg of Zocor - which is about the same as 5 mg of Lipitor.

    What our cholesterol tests don't tell us is the different types of HDL
    and LDL. So, we don't really know how much of the good and how much of
    the really bad cholesterol we have.

    Mel

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.