Re: Eggs - Good for how long?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Karen AKA Kajikit, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:02:18 GMT, Josh Zerin <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I'm in my third year of college, and I finally got my own apartment.
    >Goodie. So now I've gotta start making my own food.
    >
    >A couple of weeks ago, I got back from a 3-week break to find a few
    >eggs left in my fridge. The sell-by date was last December, but I
    >figured what the hey. I hard-boiled a couple of them, and they tasted
    >just fine.
    >
    >I'm still here typing this, so I'm assuming there was nothing wrong with them.
    >
    >How long are eggs good for?

    Eggs are good until they stink... when they go off, believe me you'll
    know it! Even hardboiled - once you peeled it it would stink to high
    heaven and possibly be green instead of white.

    We haven't had a lot of trouble with eggs going off... but when we
    were using freerange eggs from the healthfood shop quite a few of them
    were dodgy. If in doubt, break each egg individually into a bowl
    before you use them - that way you can toss out anything fishy without
    ruining a whole recipe or meal. I learnt THAT the hard way!
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Lover of fine chocolate, fun crafts, and furry felines
    http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    *remove 'nospam' to reply