Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Fuji - opinions solicted

Started by landotter · · Last activity · 3 posts · 208 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
15 August 2006
Last activity
23 August 2006
Original author
landotter
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
208
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Todd Tannenbaum said:

    Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
    their offerings from the past few years.

    I am looking at performance hybrids for daily commute + weekend
    road ride fun (20-40 miles typical), and Fuji seems to give much
    more bang for the buck than Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, etc.
    Wondering if Fuji is a good value or if there is something "to
    good to be true" going on.

    Fuji spends far less on advertising than the others. Frames are made in
    Taiwan like most everything else. If it feels nice and the spec is
    right, get it. Look into getting some trekking bars as well, as 20-40
    miles in misery with just one hand position.

  2. landotter said:
    Todd Tannenbaum said:

    Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
    their offerings from the past few years.

    I just picked up a 2004 Fuji Finest in new condition. It's a
    Sora-equipped (8-speed drivetrain) chromoly road bike. I had intended
    it for use as a backup training ride (inclement weather or mechanical
    failure/maintenance on my racing bike).

    I have to say, coming from a $3k bike down to a $500 bike isn't as bad
    as I would have thought. It does exhibit more flex than my carbon bike
    (particularly the fork). I haven't used it for racing, only some
    slow-paced training rides. It isn't as nice as my wife's Giant OCR3
    (similar componentry, but with a carbon fork and aluminum frame). That
    bike cost around $800 (and was well worth the money).

    Of course, my wife thinks that it looks 'old'. I suppose it would,
    given the "undersized" frame tubing and the bologna fork. Compared to
    my CF racing bike, I admit that it looks a bit pedestrian. However, it
    feels solidly built, isn't too heavy, and is much more stable on the
    road than my other bike.

    As far as hybrids go, I can't recommend for or against, as I have never
    used one. Personally, I would get a MTB and some semi-slicks, if only
    for the added versatility that a MTB provides.

  3. Previously landotter said:


    Todd Tannenbaum said:

    Curious to hear what folks in Usenet think of Fuji bikes, esp
    their offerings from the past few years.

    I am looking at performance hybrids for daily commute +


    weekend

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    road ride fun (20-40 miles typical), and Fuji seems to give


    much

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    more bang for the buck than Specialized, Trek, Cannondale,


    etc.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wondering if Fuji is a good value or if there is something


    "to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    good to be true" going on.

    Fuji spends far less on advertising than the others. Frames are


    made in

    Quoted message said:

    Taiwan like most everything else. If it feels nice and the spec


    is

    Quoted message said:

    right, get it. Look into getting some trekking bars as well, as


    20-40

    Quoted message said:

    miles in misery with just one hand position.

    Thanks for the feedback. I bought the Fuji in the end, so far so
    good. And yes, I stuck bar ends on.

    Thanks,
    Todd

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email
    Posted via a Palm OS PDA (Handspring Visor Edge)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.