General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Getting Sufficient Sleep May Help Reduce Weight Gain

Started by Aramanth Dawe · · Last activity · 14 posts · 329 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 January 2005
Last activity
10 January 2005
Original author
Aramanth Dawe
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
329
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:47:12 -0600, jbuch <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Any anectodal corraboration? It SEEMS to me that when I was undergoing
    weight loss over the summer, I was sleeping better. But, that is not
    reliable, because memories sometimes fool you, and there is no dairy
    logging good sleep.

    It wouldn't surprise me.

    After a years-long stall, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep
    apnoea in March of 2004. As soon as I started treating it, I started
    losing weight WITHOUT making any other changes to my diet and exercise
    regime.

    3 months later, having lost 12 kg (26 1/2 lb) my sleep became more
    difficult again following a series of stressful events. With the lack
    of sleep, my weight loss stopped dead.

    In mid-December, my doctor finally managed to find a medication
    combination that eased my stress levels enough that I started sleeping
    again. In that 3 weeks, guess what? I've dropped another 3 kg (6 1/2
    lb) EVEN THOUGH it included my 12th Wedding Anniversary and our
    Christmas Festivities. I have been eating at a more relaxed level
    during that time frame and yet I'm dumping about a kg a week right
    now. I don't know how long it will continue - my weight loss history
    has always been that it is difficult and patchy at best - but for now
    I'm taking the loss and loving it.

    Aramanth

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:47:12 -0600, jbuch <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Any anectodal corraboration? It SEEMS to me that when I was undergoing
    weight loss over the summer, I was sleeping better. But, that is not
    reliable, because memories sometimes fool you, and there is no dairy
    logging good sleep.

    It wouldn't surprise me.

    After a years-long stall, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep
    apnoea in March of 2004. As soon as I started treating it, I started
    losing weight WITHOUT making any other changes to my diet and exercise
    regime.

    3 months later, having lost 12 kg (26 1/2 lb) my sleep became more
    difficult again following a series of stressful events. With the lack
    of sleep, my weight loss stopped dead.

    In mid-December, my doctor finally managed to find a medication
    combination that eased my stress levels enough that I started sleeping
    again. In that 3 weeks, guess what? I've dropped another 3 kg (6 1/2
    lb) EVEN THOUGH it included my 12th Wedding Anniversary and our
    Christmas Festivities. I have been eating at a more relaxed level
    during that time frame and yet I'm dumping about a kg a week right
    now. I don't know how long it will continue - my weight loss history
    has always been that it is difficult and patchy at best - but for now
    I'm taking the loss and loving it.

    I'm so glad this was straightened out, Amaranth. You've held steady in
    your WOE through through tremendous odds and it's FINALLY paying off for
    you weightwise (good thing it was paying off healthwise BEFORE that)!

    --
    Saffire
    205/145/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  3. Saffire said:

    I'm so glad this was straightened out, Amaranth. You've held steady in
    your WOE through through tremendous odds and it's FINALLY paying off for
    you weightwise (good thing it was paying off healthwise BEFORE that)!

    Thanks, Saffire. Trust me, it was NOT an easy thing to stay 'true
    blue' when it appeared nothing was working. The health benefits and
    my sheer stubborn nature were all that got me through some days.

    Tomorrow I'm starting afresh with strict LC and exercise and I'll see
    if I can keep up the good stuff. Today is my daughter Athena's 10th
    birthday and her food choices for family meals for the day are not
    entirely LC (although she tries - she knows how important it is for me
    to keep my sugars under control) nor have I really found much time for
    exercise other than walking from cinema to shopping centre to bus stop
    to home. Still, once I've enjoyed my bowl of strawberries and cream
    (instead of the strawberry-and-cream topped whisked Sponge Cake that
    is her birthday cake) I'll be right there, fighting the Good Fight.

    Aramanth

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Saffire said:

    I'm so glad this was straightened out, Amaranth. You've held steady in

    Make that Aramanth -- DOH! One of these days I'll get it right :-)

    --
    Saffire
    205/145/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  5. "Aramanth Dawe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In mid-December, my doctor finally managed to find a medication
    combination that eased my stress levels enough that I started sleeping
    again. In that 3 weeks, guess what? I've dropped another 3 kg (6 1/2
    lb)

    Oh, good! Go Aramanth! : )

    Nicky.

    --
    A1c 10.5/5.7/<6 Weight 95/79/72Kg
    1g Metformin, 75ug Thyroxine
    T2 DX 05/2004

  6. aramanth,
    thanks for sharing with us, all your ups and downs..............
    your progress is amazing, and i agree...............SLEEP does help!

    --
    rosie

    Resistance in Iraq Outnumbers U.S. Forces
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_05/010405W.shtml

    "Aramanth Dawe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    : On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 19:47:12 -0600, jbuch
    <[email hidden]>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >Any anectodal corraboration? It SEEMS to me that when I was
    undergoing
    : >weight loss over the summer, I was sleeping better. But, that is
    not
    : >reliable, because memories sometimes fool you, and there is no
    dairy
    : >logging good sleep.
    :
    : It wouldn't surprise me.
    :
    : After a years-long stall, I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep
    : apnoea in March of 2004. As soon as I started treating it, I
    started
    : losing weight WITHOUT making any other changes to my diet and
    exercise
    : regime.
    :
    : 3 months later, having lost 12 kg (26 1/2 lb) my sleep became more
    : difficult again following a series of stressful events. With the
    lack
    : of sleep, my weight loss stopped dead.
    :
    : In mid-December, my doctor finally managed to find a medication
    : combination that eased my stress levels enough that I started
    sleeping
    : again. In that 3 weeks, guess what? I've dropped another 3 kg (6
    1/2
    : lb) EVEN THOUGH it included my 12th Wedding Anniversary and our
    : Christmas Festivities. I have been eating at a more relaxed level
    : during that time frame and yet I'm dumping about a kg a week right
    : now. I don't know how long it will continue - my weight loss
    history
    : has always been that it is difficult and patchy at best - but for
    now
    : I'm taking the loss and loving it.
    :
    : Aramanth

  7. "Aramanth Dawe" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In mid-December, my doctor finally managed to find a medication
    combination that eased my stress levels enough that I started sleeping
    again. In that 3 weeks, guess what? I've dropped another 3 kg (6 1/2
    lb) EVEN THOUGH it included my 12th Wedding Anniversary and our
    Christmas Festivities. I have been eating at a more relaxed level
    during that time frame and yet I'm dumping about a kg a week right
    now. I don't know how long it will continue - my weight loss history
    has always been that it is difficult and patchy at best - but for now
    I'm taking the loss and loving it.

    Aramanth

    Yay Aramanth that you are sleeping again! After all you have been through.
    And more weightloss!!

    --
    Tara
    www.dazzled.com/lowcarb - my lowcarb story
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tjharris/ - pics of Madison
    New Zealand

  8. Tara. said:

    Yay Aramanth that you are sleeping again! After all you have been through.
    And more weightloss!!

    I'm only sleeping because of chemicals. I'm not 'getting sleepy' on
    my own, but if I take my SSRI at the right time, I will usually become
    sufficiently sleepy to drift off to sleep about an hour later. If I
    don't have a reason to get up, I can sleep a good 7 1/2 to 8 hours and
    wake reasonably refreshed. Sadly, Himself is back at work this week,
    which means the alarm goes off about 6 hours after I drift off to
    sleep and I'm not having much luck at sleeping again once that
    happens.

    Still, if chemicals is what it takes for better living - then better
    living through chemicals, I say!

    Aramanth

  9. In message <[email hidden]>, Aramanth Dawe
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I'm only sleeping because of chemicals. I'm not 'getting sleepy' on
    my own, but if I take my SSRI at the right time, I will usually become
    sufficiently sleepy to drift off to sleep about an hour later. If I
    don't have a reason to get up, I can sleep a good 7 1/2 to 8 hours and
    wake reasonably refreshed. Sadly, Himself is back at work this week,
    which means the alarm goes off about 6 hours after I drift off to
    sleep and I'm not having much luck at sleeping again once that
    happens.

    Then he needs to find a way of waking up that doesn't also wake you up.
    How about a mobile phone under his pillow, set to vibrate rather than
    ring at wake-up time?

    Quoted message said:

    Still, if chemicals is what it takes for better living - then better
    living through chemicals, I say!

    I am coming round to your point of view. When I can see my doc, I'm
    going to ask for metformin. Don't know when it will be, mind; I've been
    trying & failing to get an appointment since last Thursday.
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  10. On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:01:39 GMT, Mogget <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Aramanth Dawe
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I'm only sleeping because of chemicals. I'm not 'getting sleepy' on
    my own, but if I take my SSRI at the right time, I will usually become
    sufficiently sleepy to drift off to sleep about an hour later. If I
    don't have a reason to get up, I can sleep a good 7 1/2 to 8 hours and
    wake reasonably refreshed. Sadly, Himself is back at work this week,
    which means the alarm goes off about 6 hours after I drift off to
    sleep and I'm not having much luck at sleeping again once that
    happens.

    Then he needs to find a way of waking up that doesn't also wake you up.
    How about a mobile phone under his pillow, set to vibrate rather than
    ring at wake-up time?

    The problem is that he DOESN'T wake when the alarm goes off.
    Normally, this isn't a problem as I have to get up some hours or more
    before he has to, in order to get the girls off to school on time.
    However, it being mid-summer right now means that they don't go to
    school <sigh> and he STILL needs me to wake him. He's an even worse
    at getting to sleep than I am, most nights. My natural body-clock
    seems to be sleeping from about 2 am to 11 am, which was great during
    the weeks Himself didn't need to get up early. The girls are old
    enough now to get their own breakfast and get themselves doing 'stuff'
    in the mornings and we could just sleep.

    At least he's managed to get his working hours changed officially so
    he can work 11 - 7, which is MUCH better for his body-clock than the
    official 9 - 5 was. That means I can (normally) get the girls off to
    school in the morning, wander into the bedroom to start getting him to
    wake up (a slow process), then get 'stuff' done at the front of the
    house while he's getting himself up. By the time that's done, he's up
    and I can 'do' the rest of the house.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Still, if chemicals is what it takes for better living - then better
    living through chemicals, I say!

    I am coming round to your point of view. When I can see my doc, I'm
    going to ask for metformin. Don't know when it will be, mind; I've been
    trying & failing to get an appointment since last Thursday.

    I want my doc to put me on insulin, at least temporarily. My GP won't
    change my meds mix (unless it's something short-term like a course of
    antibiotics for an infection) without my getting the initial script
    from my Consultant. Now, it's a GOOD thing, since it means there's
    less likelihood of screwing things around and when you take 7
    different meds a day (8 in Asthma Weather) that's important. However,
    every time I ask my consultant he patiently explains to me that
    'insulin when you're insulin resistant almost certainly means weight
    gain and that's not a good thing for you'. And he's right - it's NOT
    a good thing for me.

    However, I'm currently taking Metformin (2 g a day!) AND Diaformin
    (glicklazide, which Bernstein does NOT recommend because of the risk
    of further damage to an already damaged pancreas) and my sugars are
    running around 10 -12 which is NOT good. Sure, it's better than the
    16s or so it was running BEFORE the Diaformin, but it's still not
    good.

    I just don't see that forcing my body to produce more insulin is
    somehow not going to do the same job as injecting more insulin, except
    that with the extra being injected my pancreas isn't being asked to
    work overtime.

    Ah well, I see him again next month and we'll see what happens then.

    Aramanth
    (PS - happy second birthday little Froggie!)

  11. In message <[email hidden]>, Aramanth Dawe
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    The problem is that he DOESN'T wake when the alarm goes off.
    Normally, this isn't a problem as I have to get up some hours or more
    before he has to, in order to get the girls off to school on time.
    However, it being mid-summer right now means that they don't go to
    school <sigh> and he STILL needs me to wake him. He's an even worse
    at getting to sleep than I am, most nights. My natural body-clock
    seems to be sleeping from about 2 am to 11 am, which was great during
    the weeks Himself didn't need to get up early. The girls are old
    enough now to get their own breakfast and get themselves doing 'stuff'
    in the mornings and we could just sleep.

    At least he's managed to get his working hours changed officially so
    he can work 11 - 7, which is MUCH better for his body-clock than the
    official 9 - 5 was. That means I can (normally) get the girls off to
    school in the morning, wander into the bedroom to start getting him to
    wake up (a slow process), then get 'stuff' done at the front of the
    house while he's getting himself up. By the time that's done, he's up
    and I can 'do' the rest of the house.

    Hmm. If I were you, I would read alt.sleep.disorders to see if anyone
    can help. True most of the posts there are about sleep apnoea, but
    someone did post a link to a rather good diagnostic site. Can't
    remember it OTTOMH, sorry.

    Quoted message said:

    I want my doc to put me on insulin, at least temporarily. My GP won't
    change my meds mix (unless it's something short-term like a course of
    antibiotics for an infection) without my getting the initial script
    from my Consultant. Now, it's a GOOD thing, since it means there's
    less likelihood of screwing things around and when you take 7
    different meds a day (8 in Asthma Weather) that's important. However,
    every time I ask my consultant he patiently explains to me that
    'insulin when you're insulin resistant almost certainly means weight
    gain and that's not a good thing for you'. And he's right - it's NOT
    a good thing for me.

    However, I'm currently taking Metformin (2 g a day!) AND Diaformin
    (glicklazide, which Bernstein does NOT recommend because of the risk
    of further damage to an already damaged pancreas) and my sugars are
    running around 10 -12 which is NOT good. Sure, it's better than the
    16s or so it was running BEFORE the Diaformin, but it's still not
    good.

    I just don't see that forcing my body to produce more insulin is
    somehow not going to do the same job as injecting more insulin, except
    that with the extra being injected my pancreas isn't being asked to
    work overtime.

    IANADNDIPOOTV but it sounds like you are spot on.

    However, just one thing for you to consider... I injected insulin when I
    was pg, and it made matters worse. Insulin raises my blood sugars.
    Sounds unbelievable, doesn't it? I guess it's all part of Wrong Planet
    Syndrome (and eczema cream gives me eczema, and anti-depressants make me
    depressed). When I stopped shooting, in despair, my blood sugars
    improved a lot - and that was at the end of the pregnancy, too.

    My theory: the injected insulin made my body chuck out more cortisol
    and/or glucagon, to counteract the insulin, resulting in raised sugars.

    The reason I'm mentioning this is that I would lay money on it that your
    adrenals are an issue, that your cortisol/cortisone levels are as
    responsible for your high blood bloods sugars as your pancreas. But you
    don't need a consultant to tackle it. Remember that book I told you
    about? It has lots of suggestions.

    On another note entirely, I've bin on the metfartin since Friday. OMG.
    I seriously hope I don't have to stay on it forever... it's *awful*!

    Quoted message said:

    Aramanth
    (PS - happy second birthday little Froggie!)

    Cor. You remembered! I am impressed. Froggie gets more gorgeous every
    day, which is quite impressive, considering how gorgeous she started out
    as.
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  12. On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:15:52 GMT, Mogget <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Aramanth Dawe
    <[email hidden]> writes

    My theory: the injected insulin made my body chuck out more cortisol
    and/or glucagon, to counteract the insulin, resulting in raised sugars.

    The reason I'm mentioning this is that I would lay money on it that your
    adrenals are an issue, that your cortisol/cortisone levels are as
    responsible for your high blood bloods sugars as your pancreas. But you
    don't need a consultant to tackle it. Remember that book I told you
    about? It has lots of suggestions.

    Yes, you did, and I carefully filed it away to be Dealt With when
    money becomes more readily come by again. November through to January
    is a tight money time here (as I guess it is for many of us).
    However, you reminding me got me checking the library catalogue and
    (surprise!) they have a copy. Currently out on loan, but I've put in
    a hold request for it so if they're up to their usual good service
    time I should have it in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the reminder.

    Quoted message said:

    On another note entirely, I've bin on the metfartin since Friday. OMG.
    I seriously hope I don't have to stay on it forever... it's *awful*!

    I have never had any real 'issues' with met. Everyone warned me (even
    the doc warned me) about the 'intestinal difficulties' but I've never
    had a one, even when the doc doubled dosage.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Aramanth
    (PS - happy second birthday little Froggie!)

    Cor. You remembered! I am impressed. Froggie gets more gorgeous every
    day, which is quite impressive, considering how gorgeous she started out
    as.

    It's not hard for me to remember. I have a built-in, blonde-haired,
    blue-eyed reminder. My Athena turned 8 the day before Froggie was
    born, and she had just turned <sob> 10. Surely it can't be a decade
    since I was watching that tiny, premature scrap of humanity struggling
    for every breath in an incubator! Yet here she is, tall and strong
    and smart and funny and gorgeous with nothing to show for her
    prematurity except a birth date way closer to Christmas than I'd
    planned on and some well-controlled asthma.

    Aramanth

  13. Any new pictures?

    --
    Tara
    www.dazzled.com/lowcarb - my lowcarb story
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tjharris/ - pics of Madison
    New Zealand

    "Mogget" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Froggie gets more gorgeous every day, which is quite impressive,
    considering how gorgeous she started out as.
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

  14. In message <[email hidden]>, Tara.
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Any new pictures?

    Tons - still in the camera :-P

    We're going to try to upload some new pics tonight though. My daughter
    is one photogenic baby.
    --
    Mogget, the Churl in the Puce Greatcoat

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.