Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Half-century, not out--WARNING LONG

Started by Roger Zoul · · Last activity · 18 posts · 277 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
26 June 2007
Last activity
3 July 2007
Original author
Roger Zoul
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
277
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. gds wrote:
    : So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
    : effort at any speed. So congrats!
    : It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
    : watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
    : color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
    : After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
    : were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
    : Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
    : with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
    : I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
    : I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
    : long time"

    I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?

    One thing that may be different on a bike than with running....a six hour
    bike ride might be very enjoyable, depending (high heat would be one example
    of when it would not be). I'm not nor have I ever been a runner, so I can't
    really comment on whether folks find running for 6 hours to be enjoyable.

  2. Roger Zoul said:


    One thing that may be different on a bike than with running....a six hour
    bike ride might be very enjoyable, depending (high heat would be one example
    of when it would not be). I'm not nor have I ever been a runner, so I can't
    really comment on whether folks find running for 6 hours to be enjoyable.

    I ride a bike because I enjoy all my bike time. Time on a bike is seldom
    "forced time" for me. Running, on the other hand, has always been
    something someone else has made me do--so I hate it.

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  3. On Jun 26, 11:11 am, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?


    <snip>
    Forget your meds this morning?

  4. Roger Zoul said:

    I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?

    Take it to alt.cycles.vasectomy.

    Bill "delaying rolling out front door...obviously" S.

  5. gds wrote:
    :: On Jun 26, 11:11 am, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::
    :: <snip>
    ::
    ::: I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?
    :::
    :: <snip>
    :: Forget your meds this morning?

    Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.

  6. Bill Sornson wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::
    ::: I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?
    ::
    :: Take it to alt.cycles.vasectomy.
    ::
    :: Bill "delaying rolling out front door...obviously" S.

    haha.

  7. Roger Zoul said:


    Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.

    Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to snip
    or to be be snippy.

  8. gds wrote:
    :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :::
    ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
    ::
    :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
    :: snip or to be be snippy.

    Then you need to get a functional newsreader.

  9. gds wrote:
    :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :::
    ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
    ::
    :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
    :: snip or to be be snippy.

    Here is what Bill posted in response to you (indicating that he too snipped
    what you failed to snip):

    gds wrote:

    {SNIP}

    : It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
    : watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
    : color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
    : After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
    : were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
    : Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
    : with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
    : I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
    : I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
    : long time"

    Life is not fair. When I used to do long runs with other, faster friends,
    they'd reach a rest stop or halfway point well before I did; then they were
    ready to go while I was still huffing and ventilating.

    Years later with mountain biking, same basic thing. Life is not fair.

    Bill "camel-tortoise hybrid" S.

  10. Roger Zoul said:

    gds wrote:
    :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :::
    ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
    ::
    :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
    :: snip or to be be snippy.

    Then you need to get a functional newsreader.

    Easy, tiger.

    For what it's worth, I'm using pan. I was shocked to find that pan
    auto-snipped quoted text; however, by hitting "Q" I can toggle whether or
    not the newsreader displays quoted text.

    I know, I know. I really should be using slrn, but I'm in X almost all
    the time these days. My editor of choice is still vim though.

    =-Luigi

    --
    Luigi de Guzman
    http://ouij.livejournal.com

  11. Roger Zoul said:

    gds wrote:

    :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :::
    ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
    ::
    :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
    :: snip or to be be snippy.

    Here is what Bill posted in response to you (indicating that he too snipped
    what you failed to snip):

    gds wrote:

    {SNIP}

    : It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
    : watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
    : color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
    : After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
    : were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
    : Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
    : with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
    : I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
    : I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
    : long time"

    Life is not fair. When I used to do long runs with other, faster friends,
    they'd reach a rest stop or halfway point well before I did; then they were
    ready to go while I was still huffing and ventilating.

    Years later with mountain biking, same basic thing. Life is not fair.

    Bill "camel-tortoise hybrid" S.

    Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me. That's
    OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.

  12. gds wrote:
    ::
    :: Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me.
    :: That's OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.

    I'm being juvenile when I ask you about trimming your posts? What about
    when you did the same thing to me? You seem to be a "I do no wrong" type of
    person.

  13. Roger Zoul said:

    gds wrote:

    ::
    :: Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me.
    :: That's OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.

    I'm being juvenile when I ask you about trimming your posts? What about
    when you did the same thing to me? You seem to be a "I do no wrong" type of
    person.

    Ahh! [censored] for tat. OK you win. You are showing great maturity. Answer
    one more time and you can even have the last word.

  14. Luigi de Guzman said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    One thing that may be different on a bike than with running....a six hour
    bike ride might be very enjoyable, depending (high heat would be one example
    of when it would not be). I'm not nor have I ever been a runner, so I can't
    really comment on whether folks find running for 6 hours to be enjoyable.

    I ride a bike because I enjoy all my bike time. Time on a bike is seldom
    "forced time" for me. Running, on the other hand, has always been
    something someone else has made me do--so I hate it.

    --
    Luigi de Guzmanhttp://ouij.livejournal.com

    Same here. I love skiing in the winter and cycling in the summer,
    and the fitness is actually a secondary factor. But only run for
    exercise, not because it holds any enjoyment at all.

  15. gds wrote:
    :: On Jun 27, 8:38 am, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::: gds wrote:
    :::
    :::::
    ::::: Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me.
    ::::: That's OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.
    :::
    ::: I'm being juvenile when I ask you about trimming your posts? What
    ::: about when you did the same thing to me? You seem to be a "I do no
    ::: wrong" type of person.
    ::
    :: Ahh! [censored] for tat. OK you win. You are showing great maturity. Answer
    :: one more time and you can even have the last word.

    Not exactly [censored] for tat since you tried to ask as if when you do it there's
    no problem...And thank you, I will take the last word!

  16. Luigi de Guzman said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    gds wrote:
    :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :::
    ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
    ::
    :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
    :: snip or to be be snippy.

    Then you need to get a functional newsreader.

    Easy, tiger.

    For what it's worth, I'm using pan.

    Filthy heathen! Tin forever!

    Quoted message said:

    I was shocked to find that pan auto-snipped quoted text; however, by
    hitting "Q" I can toggle whether or not the newsreader displays quoted text.

    Alright, I'll admit it, I use Pan for all my binary newsgroup reading.
    The newer version no longer chokes on groups with large numbers of
    articles.

    Quoted message said:

    I know, I know. I really should be using slrn, but I'm in X almost all
    the time these days. My editor of choice is still vim though.

    Well, I suppose I can return the pitchforks and torches to the stand by
    the door then.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    A witty saying proves nothing, but saying something pointless gets
    people's attention.

  17. Dane Buson said:


    Well, I suppose I can return the pitchforks and torches to the stand by
    the door then.

    You might want to turn them on me; I'm using slrn, but on WinXP with
    (shudder) "edit" [1] as my $EDITOR.

    [1] Yes, the old MS-DOS edit. The blue one.

    --

    __o Kristian Zoerhoff
    _'\(,_ [email hidden]
    (_)/ (_)

  18. Kristian M Zoerhoff said:
    Dane Buson said:


    Well, I suppose I can return the pitchforks and torches to the stand by
    the door then.

    You might want to turn them on me; I'm using slrn, but on WinXP with
    (shudder) "edit" [1] as my $EDITOR.

    Wow. That's just amazingly wrong. I think I might have to have a lie
    down now.

    Quoted message said:

    [1] Yes, the old MS-DOS edit. The blue one.

    Yes. Definitely. I think I'll see if I can find some lavender water
    and sprinkle it on a damp cloth for my eyes.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    "This universe never did make sense, I suspect it was built on
    government contract." -Zebediah J. Carter

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.