General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Homemade vanilla ice cream?

Started by hob · · Last activity · 1 post · 263 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 September 2005
Last activity
12 September 2005
Original author
hob
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
263
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "hob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I'm sure this topic has been addressed in one form or another on
    the net. I've done some searching and found many threads about ice
    cream.

    The question I pose is pretty specific (in my mind) though. Does
    anyone else remember the vanilla ice cream that little old ladies made
    at church functions / social events? I can envision a certain taste, a
    certain texture that I still long for to this day. It's been at least
    15 years since I had such an ice cream.

    Yes - as I remember, having been to many and worked at them, they would

    1) buy a commercial container and scoop it out of that
    - about 50 years back, they got it that cardboard can from the local
    creamery - where milk came in in cream cans. And Mr B made his ice cream
    out of the top cream. (his kid and I were in the same grade, his daughter
    babysat me, so I hung around the creamery a bit)

    2) use a packaged mix made with beaters - don't remember the name, it


    might

    Quoted message said:

    have even been a pudding - they beat it up and froze it - and maybe


    stirred

    Quoted message said:

    it a couple times - but it was pretty much air.

    3) the ladies were too busy with daily chores and kids to hand-crank ice
    cream for everybody - besides, making ice cream was man's and kid's work,


    as

    Quoted message said:

    I recall. It was a treat for special occasions, not a daily meal item.
    In our extended family (13 aunts/uncles on one side, 11 on the other,


    not

    Quoted message said:

    counting inlaws families of almost the same size), and in all the


    gatherings

    Quoted message said:

    where ice cream was made, no lady ever turned the ice cream crank.
    Hot day, nice clothes that were hard to clean and come by and little
    anti-perspirant - no female would be caught dead in a social gathering


    doing

    Quoted message said:

    work like that.

    as they used to say " horses sweat, men perspire, and women glow."

    Note that ice cream back then had the "milk's taste", a taste which varied
    with season depending on what the cow ate. Since cows in the summer were


    on

    Quoted message said:

    pasture, ice cream back then had the summer grass flavor.

    fwiw........

    Quoted message said:


    In an attempt to recreate my childhood memory, I bought a "bachelor"
    ice cream maker, VillaWare brand, but it's just not the same. Maybe
    the maker has nothing to do with it.

    I'm using a simple vanilla recipe from a Ben and Jerry's recipe book.
    Heavy whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, eggs. Very
    straightforward, but it comes nowhere near the taste I'm looking for.

    If there are any old church ladies who know how to help me, I
    appreciate it! If I need to buy an old hand cranking machine and take
    an hour to prepare the mixture, I'm willing to do it.

    Kevin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.