Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Re: Hooking the bike over the tailgate?

Started by small change · · Last activity · 7 posts · 669 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
23 November 2005
Last activity
27 November 2005
Original author
small change
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
669
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Marz said:

    Is it ok to hook bikes over the tailgate of my pickup? I saw a
    picture of this being done and wondered whether there's any major
    draw backs to it. Normally it's just me in the pickup so the bike
    gets the whole bed to itself. But I'm providing transport this
    weekend and I'm expecting to try and fit four bikes in the back. I
    thought if I just strap some foam over the tailgate edge, some more
    foam on the bed and drop off the back wheels, the bikes should fit
    nicely across the tailgate.

    We call it bike transport, Canadian Style. Get an old peice of carpet, a
    moving blanket or something to protect everything.

    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/misc/silver/IMG_1808w.jpg

    ~penny

  2. "small change" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Marz said:

    Is it ok to hook bikes over the tailgate of my pickup? I saw a
    picture of this being done and wondered whether there's any major
    draw backs to it. Normally it's just me in the pickup so the bike
    gets the whole bed to itself. But I'm providing transport this
    weekend and I'm expecting to try and fit four bikes in the back. I
    thought if I just strap some foam over the tailgate edge, some more
    foam on the bed and drop off the back wheels, the bikes should fit
    nicely across the tailgate.

    We call it bike transport, Canadian Style. Get an old peice of carpet, a
    moving blanket or something to protect everything.

    Or, as I did with my 1994 s10, roll it in, turn the wheel so I can close the
    tailgate. If i had the cap on, i could even keep the weather off of the
    bike(s). Take 2 long bungie cords and make an X from the corners. Never lost
    a bike. Never damaged a bike, scratched the bed up good, but... ITS A
    TRUCK... it is meant to be roughed up.

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/misc/silver/IMG_1808w.jpg

    Aren't you afraid of someone hitting the back end? Isnt there a legal thing
    about seeing both tail lights and the liscence plate?

    Micheal

  3. Micheal Artindale said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/misc/silver/IMG_1808w.jpg

    Aren't you afraid of someone hitting the back end? Isnt there a legal
    thing about seeing both tail lights and the liscence plate?

    not my truck ;-)

  4. small change said:
    Marz said:

    Is it ok to hook bikes over the tailgate of my pickup? I saw a
    picture of this being done and wondered whether there's any major
    draw backs to it. Normally it's just me in the pickup so the bike
    gets the whole bed to itself. But I'm providing transport this
    weekend and I'm expecting to try and fit four bikes in the back. I
    thought if I just strap some foam over the tailgate edge, some more
    foam on the bed and drop off the back wheels, the bikes should fit
    nicely across the tailgate.

    We call it bike transport, Canadian Style. Get an old peice of carpet, a
    moving blanket or something to protect everything.

    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/misc/silver/IMG_1808w.jpg

    ~penny

    Bingo! That's what I was thinking about, thanks Penny.

  5. Micheal Artindale said:

    Aren't you afraid of someone hitting the back end? Isnt there a legal thing
    about seeing both tail lights and the liscence plate?

    Micheal

    The roads should be pretty quiet Sunday morning when we drive out for
    the ride, so I'm not too worried about getting hit. And regards to the
    law down here, please, they've only just starting to think about
    whether drink driving is a bad idea or not. I see it every day heading
    home, some car will pull over out outside a rum shop (local bar), the
    passenger will jump out, get a couple of beers, one for himself and one
    for the driver and then they'll drive off with the driver with beer in
    hand.

    Laters,

    Marz

  6. What wrong with mounting the front wheel to the top of
    the cab. With the rear wheel in the truck bed. I see it done this way
    from time to time.

  7. Quoted message said:

    What wrong with mounting the front wheel to the top of
    the cab. With the rear wheel in the truck bed. I see it done this way
    from time to time.

    20mm front thru axle means all QR type attachments won't work.

    I used the method today and everything went fine, three bikes in the
    back for a 20 mile trip to the trail head. The license plate got
    covered up, but no one seem to care.

    Laters,

    Marz

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.