Re: How many watts to rear-brake a fixie?

Jim Smith

Guest
[email protected] writes:

> I'm not sure what is subtracted from which and how it's
> calculated.
>
> 214 pedal Watts for 22.73 mph (10.61 mph) 0% grade

Why 22.73mph? I thought you were interested in 20mph?

> 916 coast Watts for 39.82 mph (17.80 m/s) 7% grade
> 75 kg Mass of bike and rider
> -0.07 slope of 7%
> 10.61 Braked descending speed 23.73 mph = 10.61 m/s
> 17.80 Unbraked descending speed 39.82 mph = 17.80 m/s
>
> 75 * 9.8 * 0.07 * 17.8 = 915.8
>
> (That's the 916 watts already given by the calculator.)

You want to calculate this at the speed you are interested in, not at
17.8 m/s

At 22.73mph (10.61m/s) decending a 7% grade, gravitational potential
energy is changing at a rate of: 75 * 9.8 * 0.07 * 10.61 = 546
jules/second (watts) This is the power input to our bike. Of these
546 watts, 214 are going to overcoming wind and rolling resistance,
leaving 546 - 214 = 332 watts that need to go somewhere so we don't
speed up. You can either use these 332 watts to try and melt the glue
holding on your tubular tires by pushing rubber pads against the rim,
or you can use them to convert donuts into sexy man-flesh by resisting
on your fixie. The choice is yours.