Re: I'm in love....

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by dgk, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. dgk

    dgk Guest

    On 28 Sep 2005 09:19:10 -0700, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got a new bike. I got a new bike. I got a new bike.
    >
    >Pretty pretty pretty pretty new bike. Mine, mine, mine. Mine, mine.
    >
    >New bike. New bike.

    It must be amazing biking around China. Someday I hope to do the same.
    Enjoy that bike.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    dgk <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It must be amazing biking around China. Someday I hope to do the same.
    >Enjoy that bike.

    You haven't "really" bike commuted until you've done it with a few
    million others. It's a lot like swimming in those big schools of fish
    - the ones that zig and zag all over the place for no discernable
    reason (at least not discernable from any perspective but "inside the
    school"). I really, really enjoyed riding in China as well (though I
    suspect Marian has a lot better riding terrain than I did in the NE
    corner of Beijing).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  3. Mark Hickey wrote:
    > dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >It must be amazing biking around China. Someday I hope to do the same.
    > >Enjoy that bike.

    > You haven't "really" bike commuted until you've done it with a few
    > million others. It's a lot like swimming in those big schools of fish
    > - the ones that zig and zag all over the place for no discernable
    > reason (at least not discernable from any perspective but "inside the
    > school"). I really, really enjoyed riding in China as well (though I
    > suspect Marian has a lot better riding terrain than I did in the NE
    > corner of Beijing).

    In Shijiazhuang (three hours south southwest of Beijing) I did the bike
    herd. I remember one time on Zhongshan Road waiting through two cycles
    of the light because there were so many bicycles.

    I kind of like being in the herd. Don't do much herd in Haikou. The
    bike lanes are poorly maintained, sporadic, and narrow.

    So, I've decided that I'm not a bicycle. I'm a very small
    human-powered motorcycle who doesn't accelerate very well, can't go as
    far as quickly, can't carry as much cargo, and is frequently prone to
    accidental dehydration. I have my excuses in Chinese thoroughly
    memorized waiting for the day that one of the traffic cops stops me for
    riding in the no-bikes lanes on main arterials or for using overpasses.

    One of these days I just know that I'll be sitting at a light and some
    guy will walk over and tap me on the shoulder the same way they do
    motorcyclists without a helmet or with the wrong license plates. Then
    will come the request for ID, the arguments, and the ticket.

    -M