Re: In today's L'Equipe: Armstrong took EPO

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in the world and
    has yet to come back with a positive, confirmed result even once.

    Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in the world and
    > has yet to come back with a positive, confirmed result even once.

    ROTFL!

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in
    > the world and has yet to come back with a positive,
    > confirmed result even once.

    Until now, you mean.

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    In rec.bicycles.racing [email protected] wrote:
    > Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in the world and
    > has yet to come back with a positive, confirmed result even once.

    You know, I wonder if Virenque was tested more frequently than LANCE.
    LANCE has been tested lots in July, but infrequently during other
    parts of the year. And he had gaps. Virenque raced more and for a
    longer period of time. And with no gaps.

    Virenque, unlike LANCE, never came back with a positive, confirmed
    result. LANCE had one with the butt cream.

    Based on that argument you'd have to say that LANCE is at least as
    clean as Virenque. Or Musseuw, who was also tested a ton over a
    longer career.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In rec.bicycles.racing [email protected] wrote:
    >> Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in the world and
    >> has yet to come back with a positive, confirmed result even once.

    > You know, I wonder if Virenque was tested more frequently than LANCE.
    > LANCE has been tested lots in July, but infrequently during other
    > parts of the year. And he had gaps. Virenque raced more and for a
    > longer period of time. And with no gaps.
    >
    > Virenque, unlike LANCE, never came back with a positive, confirmed
    > result. LANCE had one with the butt cream.

    Of course his Rx was not on file at the time of the test and yet he received
    no sanction. IIRC, the substance in the butt cream was not what he came up
    positive for.

    > Based on that argument you'd have to say that LANCE is at least as
    > clean as Virenque. Or Musseuw, who was also tested a ton over a
    > longer career.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

  6. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    In rec.bicycles.racing Rico X. Partay <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in
    >> the world and has yet to come back with a positive,
    >> confirmed result even once.

    > Until now, you mean.

    Except for the part about 'confirmed' which isn't possible.
    But he did miss the butt cream positive.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  7. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In rec.bicycles.racing [email protected] wrote:
    >> Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in the world and
    >> has yet to come back with a positive, confirmed result even once.

    > You know, I wonder if Virenque was tested more frequently than LANCE.
    > LANCE has been tested lots in July, but infrequently during other
    > parts of the year. And he had gaps. Virenque raced more and for a
    > longer period of time. And with no gaps.
    >
    > Virenque, unlike LANCE, never came back with a positive, confirmed
    > result. LANCE had one with the butt cream.
    >
    > Based on that argument you'd have to say that LANCE is at least as
    > clean as Virenque. Or Musseuw, who was also tested a ton over a
    > longer career.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

    Although Virenque never got caught with his hands directly in the cookie
    jar, just days before the start of the 1998 Tour, a Festina Team car was
    busted for having 400 doses of performance-enhancing drugs. The entire team
    was later ousted from the race.
    -tom

  8. alex

    alex Guest

    And was that even accurate. He may have been tested frequently in
    competition, but it seems he was extremely rarely tested out of competitiona
    and surprise checks were even more unfrequent (at least this is what was
    reported in Tour magazine a few months ago).

    Does anybody has any data about how many times the US federation has tested
    Lance while he and his buddies were/are in Girona oe in the US ffor that
    matter?

    "Rico X. Partay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Armstrong has been the most frequently tested athlete in
    >> the world and has yet to come back with a positive,
    >> confirmed result even once.

    > Until now, you mean.

  9. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "alex" <[email protected]> : And was that even accurate. He may have
    :
    : Does anybody has any data about how many times the US federation has
    tested
    : Lance while he and his buddies were/are in Girona oe in the US ffor that
    : matter?

    I believe you're wrong about him not being tested throughout the year. He
    has mentioned in his book and even in the last few days about how many times
    he was suddenly surprised with someone wanting blood and urine for tests.

    Pat in TX

  10. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    In rec.bicycles.racing alex <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anybody has any data about how many times the US federation has tested
    > Lance while he and his buddies were/are in Girona oe in the US ffor that
    > matter?

    You can look up test statistics for the USADA:
    http://www.usantidoping.org/what/stats/history.aspx

    It doesn't differentiate between competitive and out of
    competition tests. But LANCE had to pee for them...

    2001 - 2
    2002 - 1
    2003 - 1
    2004 - 4
    2005 - 2

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  11. bikeguy11968

    bikeguy11968 Guest

    The early tests indicated nothing since the early tests could not find
    EPO. Now tests can, and samples are being retroactively tested to see
    what's going on. Personally, I think he and other cyclists are staying
    ahead of the curve by doping with substances that the UCI doesn't have
    tests for yet.

    I'm also concerned by the possibilities of this result. Sure, if he
    did it, he did it. whatever. get on with life. But if he attempts to
    hold to his "I didn't do it" theory, or say it was for his dog, mom,
    butt cream, whatever, and challenge these findings in court, it puts
    the entire process at risk. Any athlete will then appeal the results
    of positive test and have them kicked in court. It's a very dangerous
    precedent. Let's remember, this isn't baseball. There is much more at
    stake than a 3 week suspension like buddy form the orioles got. Tyler
    got 2 years.. That's huge.. baseball players get weeks... Cyclists I
    think will go to much greater lengths to cover up as entire careers are
    at stake, not a few weeks off.

  12. Stu Fleming

    Stu Fleming Guest

    bikeguy11968 wrote:

    > stake than a 3 week suspension like buddy form the orioles got. Tyler
    > got 2 years.. That's huge.. baseball players get weeks... Cyclists I

    Anyone running a sweep on the time and content of the next update at
    www.tylerhamilton.com ?

    --
    IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
    Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz

  13. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >I believe you're wrong about him not being tested throughout the year. He
    >has mentioned in his book and even in the last few days about how many times
    >he was suddenly surprised with someone wanting blood and urine for tests.

    You're probably right about this.

    Riders are required to keep the appropriate anti-doping authority (WADA or
    the U.S. affiliate, I don't remember which) up to date on their whereabouts,
    and representatives can appear at your doorstep at any time requesting a
    specimens.

    The key aspect is not the # of tests, but the inability to predict *when*
    you will be tested.

    Chris Neary
    [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  14. Tim Campbell

    Tim Campbell Guest

    There are intra-muscular performance enhancing drugs now that remain
    in the muscle; never move into the bloodstream and are only detectable
    by way of a tissue biopsy...

  15. Tim Campbell

    Tim Campbell Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Haven't we heard enough about him this century?
    > Who cares?
    > Steve

    I for one care; especially if he attempts to parlay ill-gotten wealth
    and fame into a political career. Then again he wouldn't be the first
    to do this, I suppose.

    ....and of course, politics itself is usually about further accumulation

    of ill-gotten wealth and power...

  16. jj

    jj Guest

    On 25 Aug 2005 09:49:34 -0700, "Tim Campbell" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >There are intra-muscular performance enhancing drugs now that remain
    >in the muscle; never move into the bloodstream and are only detectable
    >by way of a tissue biopsy...

    Time release anabolics? Time release buffers (to help decrease local
    lactate levels?) Cellular oxygen enhancers?

    Got a link or more info?

    jj

  17. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    24 Aug 2005 19:12:15 -0700,
    <[email protected]>,
    "bikeguy11968" <[email protected]> wrote, in part:

    >I'm also concerned by the possibilities of this result. Sure, if he
    >did it, he did it. whatever. get on with life. But if he attempts to
    >hold to his "I didn't do it" theory, or say it was for his dog, mom,
    >butt cream, whatever, and challenge these findings in court, it puts
    >the entire process at risk.

    I wonder if Dr. Ferrari is working on a cocktail for beating polygraph
    tests too. Because I doubt Lance would submit to one unless he knew he
    could get away with cheating.
    --
    zk

  18. Sore losers!