Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Interview with drug testing expert Dr. Don Catlin

Started by Andrew Price · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,332 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 August 2005
Last activity
30 August 2005
Original author
Andrew Price
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,332
Views / 30 days
38

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Pat said:

    In Lance's case, the A sample was negative and the French used up all of the
    B samples.

    I understand that this is not the case - there are remaining "B"
    samples. What is the source of your assertion?

  2. "Andrew Price" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pat said:

    In Lance's case, the A sample was negative and the French used up all of
    the
    B samples.

    I understand that this is not the case - there are remaining "B"
    samples. What is the source of your assertion?

    I think one source of confusion is not understanding that the samples in
    question are from the entire 1999 Tour - an A and a B sample from each of
    many different days. In every case the A sample was used at the time.

    RichC

  3. Rich Clark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> "Andrew Price" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :> news:[email hidden]...
    :>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:18:50 -0500, "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :>>
    :>>>In Lance's case, the A sample was negative and the French used up
    :>>>all of the
    :>>>B samples.
    :>>
    :>> I understand that this is not the case - there are remaining "B"
    :>> samples. What is the source of your assertion?
    :>
    :> I think one source of confusion is not understanding that the
    :> samples in question are from the entire 1999 Tour - an A and a B
    :> sample from each of many different days. In every case the A sample
    :> was used at the time.

    Why have they not reported on any other riders in that tour? Or have they?

  4. : >In Lance's case, the A sample was negative and the French used up all of
    the
    : >B samples.
    :
    : I understand that this is not the case - there are remaining "B"
    : samples. What is the source of your assertion?

    In the first reporting of the situation, other posters wrote that all of the
    B samples were used.

    Pat in TX

  5. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Why have they not reported on any other riders in that tour? Or have
    they?

    L'Equipe is only interested in pillorying LA, is why. It's an irrational
    hatred. That's why they will go to any lengths, including making [censored] up, to
    discredit him.

    The issue of "other riders" doesn't enter into it.

    RichC

  6. Rich Clark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :> news:[email hidden]...
    :>> Why have they not reported on any other riders in that tour? Or
    :>> have they?
    :>
    :> L'Equipe is only interested in pillorying LA, is why. It's an
    :> irrational hatred. That's why they will go to any lengths, including
    :> making [censored] up, to discredit him.
    :>
    :> The issue of "other riders" doesn't enter into it.

    That what I thought...you'd think they at least try to put some other kind
    of spin on it, though.

  7. Rich Clark said:

    L'Equipe is only interested in pillorying LA, is why. It's an irrational
    hatred. That's why they will go to any lengths, including making [censored] up,
    to discredit him.

    LA is doing a fine job of discrediting himself in his post competitive
    cycling career. Participating in "The Tour de Crawford" is inexcusable.
    --
    Sock Puppet

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  8. "Sock Puppet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    LA is doing a fine job of discrediting himself in his post competitive
    cycling career. Participating in "The Tour de Crawford" is inexcusable.

    He wants the Administration to pour more money into cancer research. He's in
    a unique position to lobby for his cause. I'd do the same, and I bet you
    would, too. If you wouldn't, you'd have no business setting yourself up as a
    premiere advocate for a cause.

    Personally, doing what LA did (riding with the shrub) would turn my stomach,
    and I probably couldn't bring myself to do it. But I don't have the kind of
    single-minded passion that makes a champion (in several senses of the word).

    RichC

  9. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    In Lance's case, the A sample was negative and the French used up all
    of the B samples.

    I understand that this is not the case - there are remaining "B"
    samples. What is the source of your assertion?

    In the first reporting of the situation, other posters wrote that all
    of the B samples were used.

    All of the B samples from 1999 were *tested.* The EPO test doesn't use all
    of each B sample, and there is enough remaining of each B sample so that
    this test and perhaps others could be re-done.

  10. I said:

    and there is enough remaining of each B sample so
    that this test and perhaps others could be re-done.

    I believe those re-tests are scheduled to occur right after hell freezes.

  11. : I wrote:
    :
    : > and there is enough remaining of each B sample so
    : > that this test and perhaps others could be re-done.
    :
    : I believe those re-tests are scheduled to occur right after hell freezes.

    I don't remember seeing any disclaimer such as "and the remaining samples,
    whose chain of evidence has been scrupulously documented, will be turned
    over to WADA so that their labs can further test the urine in the presence
    of the athlete as required by the agreed upon rules." Do you?

    Pat in TX
    :
    :

  12. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:
    I said:

    and there is enough remaining of each B sample so
    that this test and perhaps others could be re-done.

    I believe those re-tests are scheduled to occur right after hell
    freezes.

    I don't remember seeing any disclaimer such as "and the remaining
    samples, whose chain of evidence has been scrupulously documented, will
    be turned over to WADA so that their labs can further test the urine in
    the presence of the athlete as required by the agreed upon rules."

    That's why I don't think re-tests will occur. There's nothing to be
    learned from them.

  13. : > I don't remember seeing any disclaimer such as "and the remaining
    : > samples, whose chain of evidence has been scrupulously documented, will
    : > be turned over to WADA so that their labs can further test the urine in
    : > the presence of the athlete as required by the agreed upon rules."
    :
    : That's why I don't think re-tests will occur. There's nothing to be
    : learned from them.
    :
    Oh yeah--there's always the possibility that the tests were actually
    negative or weren't Lance's sample, or had been degraded so badly that
    whoever read the tests was just guessing, or....

    Pat in TX
    :

  14. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't remember seeing any disclaimer such as "and the remaining
    samples, whose chain of evidence has been scrupulously documented,
    will be turned over to WADA so that their labs can further test the
    urine in the presence of the athlete as required by the agreed upon
    rules."

    That's why I don't think re-tests will occur. There's nothing to be
    learned from them.


    Oh yeah--there's always the possibility that the tests were actually
    negative or weren't Lance's sample, or had been degraded so badly that
    whoever read the tests was just guessing, or....

    That would only be so if the chain of custody had been scrupulously
    maintained. You've argued that it hasn't and, since it hasn't, it can have
    no probative value. Chain of custody cuts both ways: if broken, it can
    neither convict nor exonerate. That's why it won't get re-tested.

  15. On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:08:33 +0200, "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Pat said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I don't remember seeing any disclaimer such as "and the remaining
    > samples, whose chain of evidence has been scrupulously documented,
    > will be turned over to WADA so that their labs can further test the
    > urine in the presence of the athlete as required by the agreed upon
    > rules."

    That's why I don't think re-tests will occur. There's nothing to be
    learned from them.


    Oh yeah--there's always the possibility that the tests were actually
    negative or weren't Lance's sample, or had been degraded so badly that
    whoever read the tests was just guessing, or....

    That would only be so if the chain of custody had been scrupulously
    maintained. You've argued that it hasn't and, since it hasn't, it can have
    no probative value. Chain of custody cuts both ways: if broken, it can
    neither convict nor exonerate. That's why it won't get re-tested.

    I think Mike J said it best. "There's not adequate evidence to convict or
    acquit, only to slander."

    jj

  16. :
    : I think Mike J said it best. "There's not adequate evidence to convict or
    : acquit, only to slander."
    :
    : jj

    Yeah, and the French seem to be really good at that, don't they?

    Pat in TX
    :

  17. Sock Puppet said:
    Rich Clark said:

    L'Equipe is only interested in pillorying LA, is why. It's an irrational
    hatred. That's why they will go to any lengths, including making [censored] up,
    to discredit him.

    LA is doing a fine job of discrediting himself in his post competitive
    cycling career. Participating in "The Tour de Crawford" is inexcusable.

    To a sock puppet, perhaps.

    --
    Chris BeHanna

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  18. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think Mike J said it best. "There's not adequate evidence to convict
    or acquit, only to slander."

    jj

    Yeah, and the French seem to be really good at that, don't they?

    Hmmm. I'm guessing you don't have adequate evidence to convict or acquit
    them of that charge, only to slander them.

  19. Rich Clark said:

    Personally, doing what LA did (riding with the shrub) would turn my
    stomach, and I probably couldn't bring myself to do it.

    Speaking of turning stomachs, if I met shrub, I might do what his father did
    to the Japanese Prime Minister.

    --
    Sock Puppet

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  20. : >> I think Mike J said it best. "There's not adequate evidence to convict
    : >> or acquit, only to slander."
    : >>
    : >> jj
    : >
    : > Yeah, and the French seem to be really good at that, don't they?
    :
    : Hmmm. I'm guessing you don't have adequate evidence to convict or acquit
    : them of that charge, only to slander them.

    Let's review, shall we? First the French (or was it the Norwegians? The
    Greeks?) give the official Tour de France samples to an unauthorized group.
    They (wait, maybe it was the Russians? or the Finns?) do not make any
    preparations to follow the Tour de France rules or even the rules of basic
    fairness. Then, they (surely it must be the Portugese!) decide that secrecy
    is the order of the day and do not let ANY of the athletes involved
    participate. Then, they ( was it the Brazilian newspapers? the Canadians?)
    declare Lance to be "guilty of doping" because "six" samples out of 17 have
    been speculated to be positive. No mention of the other 11 samples. No
    mention that the chain of evidence has been scrupulously followed and other,
    authorized labs are welcome to duplicate the "positive results"---or even
    that there remains sufficient samples to do further testing. Nope--it is
    either "believe us!" or nothing.

    Naw, nothing to "convict" the French in there, is there? It MUST be someone
    else that concocted this hatchet job. No French newspaper would have any
    type of animosity against Lance Armstrong, right?

    We have a saying in Texas: Get Real!

    Pat
    :
    :

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.