Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Is my tire bad?

Started by Phil, Squid-in-Training · · Last activity · 76 posts · 3,017 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 March 2005
Last activity
31 March 2005
Original author
Phil, Squid-in-Training
Posts
76
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,017
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 76
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. NiteRider said:

    Last season, I managed to have two major problems with one tire, an
    IRC Metro/K. The first time was my fault. I apparently hadn't seated
    the new tire properly on the rim and when I was pumping up, a few
    inches of bead came off and the tube blew into pieces, bending the
    rim sidewall. I rebuilt with a Campy Thorr rim, which should be much
    stronger than the factory rim. But on the long, last ride of the
    season, it blew again. Didn't bend the rim, but destroyed another
    tube. (Pain in the neck, too, since this tube had sealant inside and
    basically blasted it all over the place.) I made sure I'd seated the
    bead properly this time.

    Is this particular tire bad, or am I just a victim of bad luck?
    There've been no problems at all with the other Metro I have on my
    front wheel, which was bought at the same time. I'd hate to trash a
    tire that's only got a couple of hundred miles on it. But I expect to
    be doing a few more long rides this season and I don't want to risk
    being stranded far from home (yeah, I can carry a tube, pump, and
    levers, but that should be a last resort). Anybody else have problems
    with Metros or IRC tires in general?

    If these are wire bead, have you ever folded these tires? I folded a wire
    bead road tire incorrectly once, and this made the bead uneven, working its
    way off the rim after 0.5 miles and blowing the tube. Unless your sidewall
    was already suspect, however, I don't see how a tire blowing off could bend
    a rim...
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  2. Phil Lee said:
    Quoted message said:

    Last season, I managed to have two major problems with one tire, an
    IRC Metro/K. The first time was my fault. I apparently hadn't
    seated the new tire properly on the rim and when I was pumping up,
    a few inches of bead came off and the tube blew into pieces,
    bending the rim sidewall. I rebuilt with a Campy Thorr rim, which
    should be much stronger than the factory rim. But on the long,
    last ride of the season, it blew again. Didn't bend the rim, but
    destroyed another tube. (Pain in the neck, too, since this tube
    had sealant inside and basically blasted it all over the place.) I
    made sure I'd seated the bead properly this time.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is this particular tire bad, or am I just a victim of bad luck?
    There've been no problems at all with the other Metro I have on my
    front wheel, which was bought at the same time. I'd hate to trash
    a tire that's only got a couple of hundred miles on it. But I
    expect to be doing a few more long rides this season and I don't
    want to risk being stranded far from home (yeah, I can carry a
    tube, pump, and levers, but that should be a last resort). Anybody
    else have problems with Metros or IRC tires in general?

    Quoted message said:

    If these are wire bead, have you ever folded these tires? I folded
    a wire bead road tire incorrectly once, and this made the bead
    uneven, working its way off the rim after 0.5 miles and blowing the
    tube. Unless your sidewall was already suspect, however, I don't
    see how a tire blowing off could bend a rim...

    The best you can do with a wire bead tire is to not fold it but to
    coil it as shown:

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.23.html

    [email hidden]

  3. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil,

    Squid-in-Training said:

    If these are wire bead, have you ever folded these tires? I folded a wire
    bead road tire incorrectly once, and this made the bead uneven, working its
    way off the rim after 0.5 miles and blowing the tube. Unless your sidewall
    was already suspect, however, I don't see how a tire blowing off could bend
    a rim...

    I never folded them. They did come coiled from the store, but that's
    safe. What bent was the edge of the wall. It looked almost like I'd
    gotten big air and landed with zero air pressure, so the flange bent
    outward a couple of mm. I'd send a picture of the failed rim, but this
    isn't a binaries group. I'm not surprised that factory rims (not name
    brand) aren't especially strong. The Thorr didn't bend when the tube
    blew out of that.

    Dear NiteRider,

    Feel free to email a picture in an attachment to me for
    hosting: [email hidden]

    There are also free hosting sites:

    http://www.theimagehosting.com/

    Carl Fogel

  4. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:50:37 -0700, [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil,

    Squid-in-Training said:

    If these are wire bead, have you ever folded these tires? I folded a wire
    bead road tire incorrectly once, and this made the bead uneven, working its
    way off the rim after 0.5 miles and blowing the tube. Unless your sidewall
    was already suspect, however, I don't see how a tire blowing off could bend
    a rim...

    I never folded them. They did come coiled from the store, but that's
    safe. What bent was the edge of the wall. It looked almost like I'd
    gotten big air and landed with zero air pressure, so the flange bent
    outward a couple of mm. I'd send a picture of the failed rim, but this
    isn't a binaries group. I'm not surprised that factory rims (not name
    brand) aren't especially strong. The Thorr didn't bend when the tube
    blew out of that.

    Dear NiteRider,

    Feel free to email a picture in an attachment to me for
    hosting: [email hidden]

    There are also free hosting sites:

    http://www.theimagehosting.com/

    Carl Fogel

    Er, [email hidden].

    Dyslexically,

    Carl Fogel

  5. Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:50:37 -0700, [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil,
    Squid-in-Training <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > If these are wire bead, have you ever folded these tires? I
    > folded a wire bead road tire incorrectly once, and this made the
    > bead uneven, working its way off the rim after 0.5 miles and
    > blowing the tube. Unless your sidewall was already suspect,
    > however, I don't see how a tire blowing off could bend a rim...

    I never folded them. They did come coiled from the store, but that's
    safe. What bent was the edge of the wall. It looked almost like I'd
    gotten big air and landed with zero air pressure, so the flange bent
    outward a couple of mm. I'd send a picture of the failed rim, but
    this isn't a binaries group. I'm not surprised that factory rims
    (not name brand) aren't especially strong. The Thorr didn't bend
    when the tube blew out of that.

    Dear NiteRider,

    Feel free to email a picture in an attachment to me for
    hosting: [email hidden]

    There are also free hosting sites:

    http://www.theimagehosting.com/

    Carl Fogel

    Er, [email hidden].

    Dyslexically,

    Carl Fogel

    Where's Sorni? He should have jumped all over this one by now... maybe he
    has to wait till tomorrow's slow morning? 😉
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  6. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I never folded them. They did come coiled from the store, but that's
    safe. What bent was the edge of the wall. It looked almost like I'd
    gotten big air and landed with zero air pressure, so the flange bent
    outward a couple of mm. I'd send a picture of the failed rim, but this
    isn't a binaries group. I'm not surprised that factory rims (not name
    brand) aren't especially strong. The Thorr didn't bend when the tube
    blew out of that.

    Dear NiteRider,

    Feel free to email a picture in an attachment to me for
    hosting: [email hidden]

    I had a friend email it to you. I considered hammering the rim back
    since this wheel has a disk brake, but then I noticed the crack on the
    inside of the rim, visible in the third picture.

    Quoted message said:

    There are also free hosting sites:

    http://www.theimagehosting.com/

    Doesn't work. Looks like Yahoo bought them out and shut it down.

    Dear NiteRider,

    Your 14k rim triptych can be seen here:

    http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/rim_nite.jpg

    Anyone surprised by the small size of the file should
    remember that the three pictures of the rim are practically
    black and white, so the detail is actually good.

    The hosting service seems to be working--I just registered,
    logged in, and uploaded the same file:

    http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=rim_nite.jpg

    http://www.theimagehosting.com

    Carl Fogel

  7. NiteRider? said:

    I never folded them. They did come coiled from the store, but
    that's safe. What bent was the edge of the wall. It looked almost
    like I'd gotten big air and landed with zero air pressure, so the
    flange bent outward a couple of mm. I'd send a picture of the
    failed rim, but this isn't a binaries group. I'm not surprised that
    factory rims (not name brand) aren't especially strong. The Thorr
    didn't bend when the tube blew out of that.

    http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=rim_nite.jpg

    I am certain that the damage on the pictured rim did not come from
    tire inflation or a faulty tire bead. The damage was most likely
    caused by hitting something lying on the road, like a one inch high
    block of wood or other such obstacle, even a rock. It most likely was
    not an excavation cover plate of step in the pavement, because that
    would have damaged both edges of the rim.

    Kevlar beads have no significant bending resistance and do not blow
    out in this manner when inflated, nor did the wire bead tires tested
    for clinch by cutting the wire at a number of places. I wasn't there
    but I suspect you noticed the jolt and assumed it was caused by the
    blowout. I believe the jolt caused the blowout.

    [email hidden]

  8. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Dear NiteRider,

    Your 14k rim triptych can be seen here:

    http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/rim_nite.jpg

    Anyone surprised by the small size of the file should
    remember that the three pictures of the rim are practically
    black and white, so the detail is actually good.

    The hosting service seems to be working--I just registered,
    logged in, and uploaded the same file:

    Thanks, Carl. I don't know what's wrong on my end. Every time I click
    on your link for imagehosting.com, I instantly get redirected to
    Yahoo's home page, and I can't find anything about image hosting there.

    Dear NiteRider,

    You're welcome.

    Possibly you need to clean out your browser's cache? Your
    header indicates Thoth and OS X, so I have no idea how to
    empty the cache, but these links work reliably for me:

    http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=rim_nite.jpg

    http://www.theimagehosting.com

    Carl Fogel

  9. NiteRider? said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=rim_nite.jpg

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am certain that the damage on the pictured rim did not come from
    tire inflation or a faulty tire bead. The damage was most likely
    caused by hitting something lying on the road, like a one inch high
    block of wood or other such obstacle, even a rock. It most likely
    was not an excavation cover plate of step in the pavement, because
    that would have damaged both edges of the rim.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kevlar beads have no significant bending resistance and do not blow
    out in this manner when inflated, nor did the wire bead tires
    tested for clinch by cutting the wire at a number of places. I
    wasn't there but I suspect you noticed the jolt and assumed it was
    caused by the blowout. I believe the jolt caused the blowout.

    Quoted message said:

    Nice hypothesis, but completely wrong. This was the first rim, the
    first time this tire caused a problem for me. That time, I wasn't
    out on the road. I was in my apartment having just finished
    mounting a brand new wire bead Metro on the wheel. The wheel wasn't
    even back on my bike. Pumping it up, it blew at around 50-60psi,
    surprisingly low in my opinion but not inconsistent with a badly
    seated bead. Pretty deafening in a confined space, too.

    Well then its worse than I suspected. The rim could not be bent to
    that shape with 60psi or even 120psi. If so, you need to explain
    where the local force arose that cause this at this point dent and
    nowhere else. I can't see your face or whether you are chuckling as
    you write this, but the more I read the more I get the feeling of a
    put-on (aka troll). Lateral force around the bead is uniform when the
    wheel is not loaded, and couldn't possibly cause a local irregularity.
    As I said, Kevlar bead tires have no bead stiffness and press on the
    rim uniformly. There is no way your tire could cause this anomaly.

    Quoted message said:

    It blew off again months later on the rim I rebuilt the wheel with,
    a Campagnolo Thorr. But this second time was on a ride and there
    was no apparent damage to that rim. That the tire blew off two
    different rims is my source of concern.

    That it occurred the second time while riding ought to make you wonder
    who bent the rim the first time, there being no damage to the rim
    while it was loaded. I am certain that if air pressure were the
    culprit then you could repeat the rim damage experiment by inflating a
    tire to 120psi, something that folks report fairly often in here. You
    might blow the tire off the rim if it isn't properly mounted but even
    then it will not bend the rim, or for that matter cause any damage.

    [email hidden]

  10. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    NiteRider? said:

    Nice hypothesis, but completely wrong. This was the first rim, the
    first time this tire caused a problem for me. That time, I wasn't
    out on the road. I was in my apartment having just finished
    mounting a brand new wire bead Metro on the wheel. The wheel wasn't
    even back on my bike. Pumping it up, it blew at around 50-60psi,
    surprisingly low in my opinion but not inconsistent with a badly
    seated bead. Pretty deafening in a confined space, too.

    Well then its worse than I suspected. The rim could not be bent to
    that shape with 60psi or even 120psi. If so, you need to explain
    where the local force arose that cause this at this point dent and
    nowhere else. I can't see your face or whether you are chuckling as
    you write this, but the more I read the more I get the feeling of a
    put-on (aka troll). Lateral force around the bead is uniform when the
    wheel is not loaded, and couldn't possibly cause a local irregularity.
    As I said, Kevlar bead tires have no bead stiffness and press on the
    rim uniformly. There is no way your tire could cause this anomaly.

    Quoted message said:

    It blew off again months later on the rim I rebuilt the wheel with,
    a Campagnolo Thorr. But this second time was on a ride and there
    was no apparent damage to that rim. That the tire blew off two
    different rims is my source of concern.

    That it occurred the second time while riding ought to make you wonder
    who bent the rim the first time, there being no damage to the rim
    while it was loaded. I am certain that if air pressure were the
    culprit then you could repeat the rim damage experiment by inflating a
    tire to 120psi, something that folks report fairly often in here. You
    might blow the tire off the rim if it isn't properly mounted but even
    then it will not bend the rim, or for that matter cause any damage.

    Okay, I can see now why some people around here have no use for your
    rantings. Jobst Brandt knows everything. And if you contradict him, you
    must be a troll. Enough with you, then. I have no patience to deal with
    a self-important self-described genius. Off to the killfile with you.

    It is oft said that a wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool
    cannot learn from a wise man.

    NiteRider: I leave it to you to decide how and if this little maxim
    applies here....

  11. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    NiteRider? said:

    Nice hypothesis, but completely wrong. This was the first rim, the
    first time this tire caused a problem for me. That time, I wasn't
    out on the road. I was in my apartment having just finished
    mounting a brand new wire bead Metro on the wheel. The wheel wasn't
    even back on my bike. Pumping it up, it blew at around 50-60psi,
    surprisingly low in my opinion but not inconsistent with a badly
    seated bead. Pretty deafening in a confined space, too.

    Well then its worse than I suspected. The rim could not be bent to
    that shape with 60psi or even 120psi. If so, you need to explain
    where the local force arose that cause this at this point dent and
    nowhere else. I can't see your face or whether you are chuckling as
    you write this, but the more I read the more I get the feeling of a
    put-on (aka troll). Lateral force around the bead is uniform when the
    wheel is not loaded, and couldn't possibly cause a local irregularity.
    As I said, Kevlar bead tires have no bead stiffness and press on the
    rim uniformly. There is no way your tire could cause this anomaly.

    Quoted message said:

    It blew off again months later on the rim I rebuilt the wheel with,
    a Campagnolo Thorr. But this second time was on a ride and there
    was no apparent damage to that rim. That the tire blew off two
    different rims is my source of concern.

    That it occurred the second time while riding ought to make you wonder
    who bent the rim the first time, there being no damage to the rim
    while it was loaded. I am certain that if air pressure were the
    culprit then you could repeat the rim damage experiment by inflating a
    tire to 120psi, something that folks report fairly often in here. You
    might blow the tire off the rim if it isn't properly mounted but even
    then it will not bend the rim, or for that matter cause any damage.

    Okay, I can see now why some people around here have no use for your
    rantings. Jobst Brandt knows everything. And if you contradict him, you
    must be a troll. Enough with you, then. I have no patience to deal with
    a self-important self-described genius. Off to the killfile with you.

    That may be so, but you are still wrong about how your rim got bent.
    It just isn't possible for the tire to apply the necessary force.

  12. doa

  13. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Jim Smith

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I can see now why some people around here have no use for your
    rantings. Jobst Brandt knows everything. And if you contradict him, you
    must be a troll. Enough with you, then. I have no patience to deal with
    a self-important self-described genius. Off to the killfile with you.

    That may be so, but you are still wrong about how your rim got bent.
    It just isn't possible for the tire to apply the necessary force.

    Then you tell me how it got bent. Don't you think I would have noticed
    such a dent when I was mounting the tire? Is this all you can do, just
    call me a liar or an idiot? Who knows, maybe there was a weakness in
    this specific rim. You can't rule that out unless you're an omniscient
    god like Brandt. If you're both so sure that it was because of an
    impact with a rock, which I'm absolutely sure there wasn't since I
    wasn't on a ride, why isn't there so much as a scratch on the edge of
    the rim? Even a tire's casing couldn't cushion such an impact so well
    that the anodizing isn't touched. I can show you more closeup pictures
    if you don't believe me. Heck, if you're willing to pay the shipping,
    I'd be happy to ship the rim to you for inspection.

    I'm not exactly calling you a liar or an idiot. yet. However, I don't
    believe in magic either.

    Now aliens, on the other hand...

  14. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Jim Smith

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I can see now why some people around here have no use for your
    rantings. Jobst Brandt knows everything. And if you contradict him,
    you must be a troll. Enough with you, then. I have no patience to
    deal with a self-important self-described genius. Off to the
    killfile with you.

    That may be so, but you are still wrong about how your rim got bent.
    It just isn't possible for the tire to apply the necessary force.

    Then you tell me how it got bent. Don't you think I would have noticed
    such a dent when I was mounting the tire? Is this all you can do, just
    call me a liar or an idiot? Who knows, maybe there was a weakness in
    this specific rim. You can't rule that out unless you're an omniscient
    god like Brandt. If you're both so sure that it was because of an
    impact with a rock, which I'm absolutely sure there wasn't since I
    wasn't on a ride, why isn't there so much as a scratch on the edge of
    the rim? Even a tire's casing couldn't cushion such an impact so well
    that the anodizing isn't touched. I can show you more closeup pictures
    if you don't believe me. Heck, if you're willing to pay the shipping,
    I'd be happy to ship the rim to you for inspection.

    One of the first things to check would be if the sidewall was really thin at
    that point, by machining or otherwise.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Jim Smith

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Okay, I can see now why some people around here have no use for your
    rantings. Jobst Brandt knows everything. And if you contradict him, you
    must be a troll. Enough with you, then. I have no patience to deal with
    a self-important self-described genius. Off to the killfile with you.

    That may be so, but you are still wrong about how your rim got bent.
    It just isn't possible for the tire to apply the necessary force.

    Then you tell me how it got bent. Don't you think I would have noticed
    such a dent when I was mounting the tire? Is this all you can do, just
    call me a liar or an idiot? Who knows, maybe there was a weakness in
    this specific rim. You can't rule that out unless you're an omniscient
    god like Brandt. If you're both so sure that it was because of an
    impact with a rock, which I'm absolutely sure there wasn't since I
    wasn't on a ride, why isn't there so much as a scratch on the edge of
    the rim? Even a tire's casing couldn't cushion such an impact so well
    that the anodizing isn't touched. I can show you more closeup pictures
    if you don't believe me. Heck, if you're willing to pay the shipping,
    I'd be happy to ship the rim to you for inspection.

    relax guy.

    the no-name rim bent because it was weak/defective - as evidenced by
    having the same tire blowing out again, it did not bend the better
    quality campy rim. the tire blew because it's got a bead defect. it's
    unfortunate coincidence you got the first two in the same place at the
    same time. please note however, that regardless of the pressure rating
    on the tire sidewall, the wider the tire, the lower the pressure the rim
    can take. you don't state the tire width in your original post, but
    check out mavic's web site for a table that shows this relationship.

    best, safest thing to do is discard those tires. you don't want that
    same experience with the front blowing out on a descent.

    regarding "garage" blowouts, i've had almost identical experience with
    cheapo kenda tires & some other no-name brand, i forget which. just
    thrown them as far away as possible. and cut the bead before hand so
    noone else can salvage them. these days i stick with "known" tire
    brands like michelin, hutchinson, continental, etc. [my hutchinsons
    have been /fantastic/ for winter puncture resistance btw.]

    the rim in jobst's image clearly shows a crack - probably an extrusion
    defect. if your bent rim shows a similar feature, consider yourself
    lucky it didn't happen while you were trying to emergency brake on a
    hill. use this as a positive learning experience about cheap tires &
    cheap rims.

  16. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil,

    Squid-in-Training said:

    One of the first things to check would be if the sidewall was really
    thin at that point, by machining or otherwise.

    Thank you! Finally somebody who doesn't just say, "You're an idiot and
    it can't possibly happen." Especially since none of these
    self-annointed "experts" are structural engineers.

    As I wrote, there may possibly be a manufacturing defect in this rim
    that weakened it at that point, but I don't have the tools to detect
    such a defect, such as a micrometer. All I can say definitively is
    that the rim wasn't bent like that when I mounted the tire but clearly
    displayed the damage after the tube blew inside my apartment.

    I'm 21 and haven't settled into my air of superiority yet 😉

    On a serious note, you should be able to use your fingers to roughly gauge
    the thickness of the rim at that point, even though it's blown out and
    cracked. Check to see if other parts of the rim feel thin, too.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. NiteRider? said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=rim_nite.jpg

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I am certain that the damage on the pictured rim did not come
    > from tire inflation or a faulty tire bead. The damage was most
    > likely caused by hitting something lying on the road, like a one
    > inch high block of wood or other such obstacle, even a rock. It
    > most likely was not an excavation cover plate of step in the
    > pavement, because that would have damaged both edges of the rim.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Kevlar beads have no significant bending resistance and do not
    > blow out in this manner when inflated, nor did the wire bead
    > tires tested for clinch by cutting the wire at a number of
    > places. I wasn't there but I suspect you noticed the jolt and
    > assumed it was caused by the blowout. I believe the jolt caused
    > the blowout.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nice hypothesis, but completely wrong. This was the first rim,
    the first time this tire caused a problem for me. That time, I
    wasn't out on the road. I was in my apartment having just
    finished mounting a brand new wire bead Metro on the wheel. The
    wheel wasn't even back on my bike. Pumping it up, it blew at
    around 50-60psi, surprisingly low in my opinion but not
    inconsistent with a badly seated bead. Pretty deafening in a
    confined space, too.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well then its worse than I suspected. The rim could not be bent to
    that shape with 60psi or even 120psi. If so, you need to explain
    where the local force arose that cause this at this point dent and
    nowhere else. I can't see your face or whether you are chuckling
    as you write this, but the more I read the more I get the feeling
    of a put-on (aka troll). Lateral force around the bead is uniform
    when the wheel is not loaded, and couldn't possibly cause a local
    irregularity. As I said, Kevlar bead tires have no bead stiffness
    and press on the rim uniformly. There is no way your tire could
    cause this anomaly.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It blew off again months later on the rim I rebuilt the wheel
    with, a Campagnolo Thorr. But this second time was on a ride and
    there was no apparent damage to that rim. That the tire blew off
    two different rims is my source of concern.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    That it occurred the second time while riding ought to make you
    wonder who bent the rim the first time, there being no damage to
    the rim while it was loaded. I am certain that if air pressure
    were the culprit then you could repeat the rim damage experiment by
    inflating a tire to 120psi, something that folks report fairly
    often in here. You might blow the tire off the rim if it isn't
    properly mounted but even then it will not bend the rim, or for
    that matter cause any damage.

    As others have mentioned. the curled lip of the rim cannot have gotten
    that way from air pressure, especially when not in use. You are
    drawing the conclusion that only a non-observant rider could do this.
    No one put that proposition forward in response to your questions.

    That there is a crack inside the sidewall of the rim is not proof of
    anything other than that the force that curled the rim was strong
    enough to produce such a curl, one that no one here has ever seen
    without external mechanical interventions, aka witting an obstacle.

    As I said, if it was caused by tire inflation then how come there was
    no damage on the second occurrence? There is no way a tire can cause
    this damage regardless of how poorly it is made. At worst it wold not
    stay on the rim, but damaging the rim is not a result of that. The
    curl is so rounded that a tire wold locally detach before it got to
    that state. There being no holding force left in the rim once it
    angles out 30 degrees or so would make further rim deformation an
    impossibility.

    There is something else afoot here and it is not apparent without more
    information especially because the question was formatted in such a
    mechanically contradictory manner. In other posts it appears that
    this is not the first rim, wheel or tire you have ridden and that many
    years have passed with much experience. In that event I wonder why
    you need to ask and then reject assessments that you get.

    I don't think further pictures will make any difference in what people
    on this end of the inquiry can offer.

    [email hidden]

  18. NiteRider said:

    In article <1111725186.d619ca0428f1215011e3c92046f7cf1d@teranews>, jim

    beam said:

    the no-name rim bent because it was weak/defective - as evidenced by
    having the same tire blowing out again, it did not bend the better
    quality campy rim. the tire blew because it's got a bead defect. it's
    unfortunate coincidence you got the first two in the same place at the
    same time.

    You're right. Now that I think about it, the bead did work off on the
    left (non-drivetrain) side in both blowouts. It can't be coincidence
    and both rims can't be bad.

    Quoted message said:

    please note however, that regardless of the pressure rating
    on the tire sidewall, the wider the tire, the lower the pressure the rim
    can take. you don't state the tire width in your original post, but
    check out mavic's web site for a table that shows this relationship.

    I can't find the table on Mavic's confusing website, unless it's in the
    "technical manual" available to registered users only. The tire was the
    widest Metro I could get, 26x2.0, which I liked to run at 80psi.

    Quoted message said:

    best, safest thing to do is discard those tires. you don't want that
    same experience with the front blowing out on a descent.

    regarding "garage" blowouts, i've had almost identical experience with
    cheapo kenda tires & some other no-name brand, i forget which. just
    thrown them as far away as possible. and cut the bead before hand so
    noone else can salvage them. these days i stick with "known" tire
    brands like michelin, hutchinson, continental, etc. [my hutchinsons
    have been /fantastic/ for winter puncture resistance btw.]

    That's why I asked here. People have said they've had no problems with
    IRC tires, so it must be just this one tire that has a problem.

    Dear NiteRider,

    The secret login and password for this site:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/

    is mavic-com and dealer.

    Security is dreadfully important, so please don't tell
    anyone else.

    Carl Fogel

  19. NiteRider Stingray Bowlander Huh? writes from cover of darkness:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The secret login and password for this site:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is mavic-com and dealer.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Security is dreadfully important, so please don't tell anyone else.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks. Took a while, but I found the file. Mavic only recommends
    60-odd psi max for a 2.0 tire, eh? That's pretty low.

    That pressure limit is not for rim protection but rather to prevent
    tire blow-off. Blow-off force is proportional to tire pressure times
    inside rim width per unit length around the rim and you'll see by this
    rule it corresponds to the pressure given for narrower rims, the bead
    retaining force being the same for small and large tires.

    [email hidden]

  20. NiteRider said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Dear NiteRider,

    The secret login and password for this site:

    http://www.tech-mavic.com/

    is mavic-com and dealer.

    Security is dreadfully important, so please don't tell
    anyone else.

    Thanks. Took a while, but I found the file. Mavic only recommends
    60-odd psi max for a 2.0 tire, eh? That's pretty low.

    jobst is right regarding pressure comparison. 80psi for a 2.0 is too high.

    note however that pressure /does/ exert a "separation" load between the
    rim beads, in the orientation that the rim is weakest, its extrusion
    axis. mavic's pressure limits may not be exactly applicable to all
    other rims, but if you follow them, you'll be in a safer ballpark than
    where you are presently. if high pressure/lower rolling resistance is
    important, consider skinnier tires.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.