General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Is oily fish really healthy?

Started by Max C. · · Last activity · 15 posts · 335 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 March 2006
Last activity
31 March 2006
Original author
Max C.
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
335
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    Actually dietary cholesterol cholesterol _does_ slightly affect serum
    cholesterol:
    (snip study)

    This is not proof. What kind of eggs were used? What was the lipid
    profile of those eggs? What were the hens fed?

    It would appear that this study assumes that because a person ate more
    eggs, and hence more cholesterol, that the additional cholesterol MUST
    have affected serum cholesterol. It doesn't appear to take anything
    else in to consideration. Not all eggs are created equal.

    Max.

  2. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Actually dietary cholesterol cholesterol _does_ slightly affect serum
    cholesterol:
    (snip study)

    This is not proof. What kind of eggs were used? What was the lipid
    profile of those eggs? What were the hens fed?

    It would appear that this study assumes that because a person ate more
    eggs, and hence more cholesterol, that the additional cholesterol MUST
    have affected serum cholesterol. It doesn't appear to take anything
    else in to consideration. Not all eggs are created equal.

    Max.

    Nothing to do with lipid profile.
    Lecithin

  3. Quoted message said:

    Nothing to do with lipid profile.

    Completely incorrect. The further away from an ideal ratio you get
    with regards to n-3 and n-6 PUFAs, the higher you can expect your
    cholesterol levels to be.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8827697&dopt=Abstract
    "Serum cholesterol, triacylglycerol and nonesterified fatty acid
    concentrations decreased as the n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio of the diet
    decreased."

    I'm not saying that lecithin has nothing to do with it, but you can't
    say it has "nothing to do with lipid profile."

    Max.

  4. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nothing to do with lipid profile.

    Completely incorrect. The further away from an ideal ratio you get
    with regards to n-3 and n-6 PUFAs, the higher you can expect your
    cholesterol levels to be.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8827697&dopt=Abstract
    "Serum cholesterol, triacylglycerol and nonesterified fatty acid
    concentrations decreased as the n-6/n-3 PUFA ratio of the diet
    decreased."

    I'm not saying that lecithin has nothing to do with it, but you can't
    say it has "nothing to do with lipid profile."

    Max.

    The results were from lecithin. If anything the lipid was a catalyst.
    Lecithin can't work without a carrier.

  5. Unless you can provide some sources to verify your position, I gotta
    tell you, I don't buy it.

    Max.

  6. Wait... now that I've thought about your statement a little longer, I'm
    not even sure it makes sense in the context of the study I posted. Are
    you saying that the rats fed the high ratio n-3 to n-6 diet would have
    had more lecithin? If so, why? They were all plant oils.

    Max.

  7. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Unless you can provide some sources to verify your position, I gotta
    tell you, I don't buy it.

    Max.

    Fine.
    It's your life.
    Look up real research including the one posted.

  8. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Wait... now that I've thought about your statement a little longer, I'm
    not even sure it makes sense in the context of the study I posted. Are
    you saying that the rats fed the high ratio n-3 to n-6 diet would have
    had more lecithin? If so, why? They were all plant oils.

    Max.

    Eggs.

  9. You didn't even read what I just said. Look at the study I posted and
    you'll find... as I just stated above, that "they were all plant oils."
    How in the world can you possibly feel justified with an answer of
    "eggs" when eggs were clearly NOT in the study provided?

    Yes, it *is* my life, which is why I question people with just an
    opinion. You have provided no data, so I don't trust my health and my
    life to your opinion.

    Max.

  10. Max 'the NOT so Christian said:

    it *is* my life, which is why I question people with just an
    opinion. You have provided no data, so I don't trust my health and my
    life to your opinion.

    I do NOT trust my health nor my life to the opinions of obvious frauds
    like Max 'the NOT so Christian.'

    You are a Kook.

    Just thought that you might want to know, Fraud!

  11. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You didn't even read what I just said. Look at the study I posted and
    you'll find... as I just stated above, that "they were all plant oils."
    How in the world can you possibly feel justified with an answer of
    "eggs" when eggs were clearly NOT in the study provided?

    Yes, it *is* my life, which is why I question people with just an
    opinion. You have provided no data, so I don't trust my health and my
    life to your opinion.

    Max.

    You missed the point as much as with several posting you still have no clue
    how to respond on Usenet.

    Mice?

  12. Perhaps I missed your point because you lack one. You keep spouting
    "lecithin" but then give no data to support your position. I have
    already done my homework on n-3 to n-6 ratios and found substantial
    evidence to support that skewing the ratio can be detrimental to one's
    health. You have presented your opinion to the contrary, but if you
    expect to be taken seriously, you're going to have to support your
    opinion with data. If you choose not to do so, then I choose to ignore
    your opinion. You'll find that most people in news groups will do the
    same. It's as simple as that.

    It would appear that it is you that needs some education on using
    usenet.

    Max.

  13. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps I missed your point because you lack one. You keep spouting
    "lecithin" but then give no data to support your position. I have
    already done my homework on n-3 to n-6 ratios and found substantial
    evidence to support that skewing the ratio can be detrimental to one's
    health. You have presented your opinion to the contrary, but if you
    expect to be taken seriously, you're going to have to support your
    opinion with data. If you choose not to do so, then I choose to ignore
    your opinion. You'll find that most people in news groups will do the
    same. It's as simple as that.

    It would appear that it is you that needs some education on using
    usenet.

    Max.

    Skewing the ratio can definitely have negative result, especially when the 6
    gets too high in relation. 6 too low (in relation) is extremely rare.

    Of course no one knows to whom you are responding.

  14. vernon said:

    Skewing the ratio can definitely have negative result, especially when the 6
    gets too high in relation. 6 too low (in relation) is extremely rare.

    So now you're changing your position on lipid profile? May I remind

    you that you previously said:

    Nothing to do with lipid profile.
    Lecithin

    Quoted message said:

    Of course no one knows to whom you are responding.

    They do if they're using Google groups, which a fair amount of users
    here are. It doesn't really matter. You figured it out, which is all
    I wanted.

  15. "Max C." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    vernon said:

    Skewing the ratio can definitely have negative result, especially when
    the 6
    gets too high in relation. 6 too low (in relation) is extremely rare.

    So now you're changing your position on lipid profile? May I remind
    you that you previously said:

    You get confused easily?????

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Nothing to do with lipid profile.
    Lecithin

    Quoted message said:

    Of course no one knows to whom you are responding.

    They do if they're using Google groups, which a fair amount of users
    here are. It doesn't really matter. You figured it out, which is all
    I wanted.

    Very few use Google groups (comparatively) and even then Common Netiquette
    says include a copy of what you are referring

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.