General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Jalapeno Conspiracy

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 12 posts · 113 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 July 2007
Last activity
22 July 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
113
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jack Schmidling said:

    What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

    The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers.
    I have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting
    worse with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely
    find a hot one.

    The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

    The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started
    growing our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

    This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
    sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
    garden and they are all the same.

    Any thoughts?

    js


    I've said over the past few years that the jalapeños taste like
    concentrated Bell peppers.

    My friend agrees

    I like them for substituting green peppers for taste, a little goes a
    long way in cooking but
    it's missing something. The jalapeño taste.

    I believe it is a conspiracy.

  2. Quoted message said:
    Jack Schmidling said:

    What has happened to jalapeno peppers?
    [ . . . ]

    Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM
    to e-mail me.

    --
    Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

    Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! !
    ~Semper Fi~

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nick Cramer said:
    Quoted message said:
    Jack Schmidling said:

    What has happened to jalapeno peppers?
    [ . . . ]

    Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM
    to e-mail me.

    But it's not just the heat. There is a freshness, greenness, a
    delicateness to roasted ja-lap-pin-nos that you don't get from other
    peppers. Ideally you have at least 15 seconds to appreciate them before
    you realize that something is terribly wrong. They ain't hot unless they
    make me hick-ups.
    --
    Billy
    http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

  4. Billy Rose said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nick Cramer said:
    Quoted message said:

    Jack Schmidling wrote:
    > What has happened to jalapeno peppers?
    > [ . . . ]


    Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM
    to e-mail me.

    But it's not just the heat. There is a freshness, greenness, a
    delicateness to roasted ja-lap-pin-nos that you don't get from other
    peppers. Ideally you have at least 15 seconds to appreciate them before
    you realize that something is terribly wrong. They ain't hot unless they
    make me hick-ups.

    what's the new hot pepper that the chinese (i think...) developed that's
    suppose to be 10 times hotter than any other pepper? i keep hearing
    about it, but never catch the name.

  5. rachael simpson said:
    Billy Rose said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nick Cramer said:

    [email hidden] wrote:
    > Jack Schmidling wrote:
    >> What has happened to jalapeno peppers?
    >> [ . . . ]
    Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM
    to e-mail me.

    But it's not just the heat. There is a freshness, greenness, a
    delicateness to roasted ja-lap-pin-nos that you don't get from other
    peppers. Ideally you have at least 15 seconds to appreciate them before
    you realize that something is terribly wrong. They ain't hot unless they
    make me hick-ups.

    what's the new hot pepper that the chinese (i think...) developed that's
    suppose to be 10 times hotter than any other pepper? i keep hearing
    about it, but never catch the name.

    Hasn't appeared here, yet...the hottest shown is Indian.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

    How recent is development of the one you address?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  6. Blinky the Shark said:
    rachael simpson said:
    Billy Rose said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Nick Cramer <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > [email hidden] wrote:
    >> Jack Schmidling wrote:
    >>> What has happened to jalapeno peppers?
    >>> [ . . . ]
    > Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM
    > to e-mail me.
    But it's not just the heat. There is a freshness, greenness, a
    delicateness to roasted ja-lap-pin-nos that you don't get from other
    peppers. Ideally you have at least 15 seconds to appreciate them before
    you realize that something is terribly wrong. They ain't hot unless they
    make me hick-ups.


    what's the new hot pepper that the chinese (i think...) developed that's
    suppose to be 10 times hotter than any other pepper? i keep hearing
    about it, but never catch the name.

    Hasn't appeared here, yet...the hottest shown is Indian.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

    How recent is development of the one you address?

    I first heard about it about a month ago. It was on a radio news show.

  7. rachael simpson said:
    Blinky the Shark said:
    rachael simpson said:

    Billy Rose wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Nick Cramer <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> [email hidden] wrote:
    >>> Jack Schmidling wrote:
    >>>> What has happened to jalapeno peppers?
    >>>> [ . . . ]
    >> Grow Serranos or Thia Piguinos. If ya want some of our Thais, eat my SPAM
    >> to e-mail me.
    > But it's not just the heat. There is a freshness, greenness, a
    > delicateness to roasted ja-lap-pin-nos that you don't get from other
    > peppers. Ideally you have at least 15 seconds to appreciate them before
    > you realize that something is terribly wrong. They ain't hot unless they
    > make me hick-ups.
    what's the new hot pepper that the chinese (i think...) developed that's
    suppose to be 10 times hotter than any other pepper? i keep hearing
    about it, but never catch the name.

    Hasn't appeared here, yet...the hottest shown is Indian.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

    How recent is development of the one you address?


    I first heard about it about a month ago. It was on a radio news show.

    Can't find anything on it with a Google search of news items. Perhaps
    someone with better google-fu than I can come up with something.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  8. Blinky the Shark said:
    rachael simpson said:
    Blinky the Shark said:

    Hasn't appeared here, yet...the hottest shown is Indian.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

    How recent is development of the one you address?


    I first heard about it about a month ago. It was on a radio news show.

    Can't find anything on it with a Google search of news items. Perhaps
    someone with better google-fu than I can come up with something.

    Search for "dorset naga" which is really the jolikia. The former
    received much more publicity in the last year than the original.

    =sw

  9. Steve Wertz said:
    Blinky the Shark said:
    rachael simpson said:

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Hasn't appeared here, yet...the hottest shown is Indian.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
    >
    > How recent is development of the one you address?
    >
    I first heard about it about a month ago. It was on a radio news
    show.

    Can't find anything on it with a Google search of news items.
    Perhaps someone with better google-fu than I can come up with
    something.

    Search for "dorset naga" which is really the jolikia. The former
    received much more publicity in the last year than the original.

    Ah! I'd never heard of "dorset naga".

    It gets fairly confusing.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

    "The Indians claim it is a C. frutescens,[1] but the derived cultivar
    Dorset Naga was assessed as a C. chinense."

    That's the only ref to China in the article. It seem to be Indian in
    origin, regardless.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  10. Quoted message said:

    I've said over the past few years that the jalapeños taste like
    concentrated Bell peppers.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe it is a conspiracy.

    Thank you. I have been reading this thread (which I started) for a week
    and tasting jalapenos from the garden and the supermarket.

    They are everything that has been said about them.... about the nicest
    pepper on earth but they are not hot anymore.

    They, like everything else, have been dumbed down for the mushbrained
    masses.

    If I come across a hot one, I will save the seeds and try to re-culture
    them.

    We have been screwed again by those who "know" what we should like....
    Wonder bread, Bud, chicken breast and now sweet jalapenos

    js

    --
    PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
    Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com

  11. On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:19:35 -0600, Jack Schmidling <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've said over the past few years that the jalapeños taste like
    concentrated Bell peppers.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe it is a conspiracy.

    Thank you. I have been reading this thread (which I started) for a week
    and tasting jalapenos from the garden and the supermarket.

    They are everything that has been said about them.... about the nicest
    pepper on earth but they are not hot anymore.

    They, like everything else, have been dumbed down for the mushbrained
    masses.

    If I come across a hot one, I will save the seeds and try to re-culture
    them.

    We have been screwed again by those who "know" what we should like....
    Wonder bread, Bud, chicken breast and now sweet jalapenos


    Jack, did the TAM jalapeno come up in the discussion? I've read only
    about half the posts in this thread and haven't noticed it's being
    mentioned. An agricultural scientist at Texas A&M developed a mild
    jalapeno for the salsa industry, which wanted to market mild versions
    of salsa to us gringos. I'm on record that this is rather like
    developing a strain of slow race horses or tall dachshunds, but few
    with power ever listen to me. Anyhow, I'm wondering if your jalapenos
    might not be TAM hybrids.

    Me, I switched to serranos.
    --

    modom

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  12. Blinky the Shark said:
    Steve Wertz said:
    Blinky the Shark said:

    rachael simpson wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Hasn't appeared here, yet...the hottest shown is Indian.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale
    >>
    >> How recent is development of the one you address?
    >>
    > I first heard about it about a month ago. It was on a radio news
    > show.
    Can't find anything on it with a Google search of news items.
    Perhaps someone with better google-fu than I can come up with
    something.


    Search for "dorset naga" which is really the jolikia. The former
    received much more publicity in the last year than the original.

    Ah! I'd never heard of "dorset naga".

    It gets fairly confusing.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

    "The Indians claim it is a C. frutescens,[1] but the derived cultivar
    Dorset Naga was assessed as a C. chinense."

    That's the only ref to China in the article. It seem to be Indian in
    origin, regardless.


    thanks, maybe that's why i couldn't figure out what the name was suppose
    to be

    rae

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.