General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Leftover soup tonight - pix

Started by jay · · Last activity · 35 posts · 652 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 February 2006
Last activity
26 February 2006
Original author
jay
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
652
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.

    You seem like a nice guy. I have eaten many meals that don't even come
    close to looking and probably tasting as good as yours. I have
    eaten many "meals" out of a plastic bag or standing over the stove. My
    comments are not meant to offend you..even if they do.

    You like to cook? Sorry, but from the pictures of what you have posted
    you don't know how to cook and are not learning much. You have a good
    job, why don't you spend some of that money you are hoarding on some
    QUALITY ingredients? You probably spend way more in a month on art
    supplies than on food,.. frugal..like a lot of people. 3$ gasoline, ok,
    but I ain't wasting nothing on my fuel or my families. The fuel of life is
    worth ALL of your money. If you want to eat kibbled mush or whatever you
    can find for 99 cents a pound or LESS that is up to you..it may be the
    healthier approach ..but you are not going to learn much about cooking,
    cooking mush. You will learn to stir.

    I like art also.. maybe you are more like Rauschenberg or Picasso.. and
    are actually doing a study of [censored] on a red plate. Who knows??..
    only you I guess. My dog gets better looking food that that stuff you are
    showing off.

    I know a guy who is WAY well off and buys his shoes at Walmart, dates them
    to test how long they last. He also has 2 huge bunions. He "cooks" like
    you do. S O S everyday. That ain't cooking. Each to their own. But, you
    SAID you like to cook. When I eat something like you are eating, and it
    appears from your post..nearly every day.. I HIDE and eat it..and will not
    take a picture of that one. Cooking is ART. You are not a artist in the
    kitchen.

    Education is great. You have some education, but your taste buds
    obviously have very little.

    bon appetite

  2. jay said:
    modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.

    You seem like a nice guy.

    And you do not.

    If modem's food pix "offend" you - then don't click on the links.
    Nothing wrong with "constructive" criticism - but I haven't seen
    anything that comes close to that in your post, and others like it on
    this NG. I think there are a whole lot of posters here that need to
    read "How to Make Friends and Influence People".

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.

    You seem like a nice guy. I have eaten many meals that don't even come
    close to looking and probably tasting as good as yours. I have
    eaten many "meals" out of a plastic bag or standing over the stove. My
    comments are not meant to offend you..even if they do.

    You like to cook? Sorry, but from the pictures of what you have posted
    you don't know how to cook and are not learning much. You have a good
    job, why don't you spend some of that money you are hoarding on some
    QUALITY ingredients? You probably spend way more in a month on art
    supplies than on food,.. frugal..like a lot of people. 3$ gasoline, ok,
    but I ain't wasting nothing on my fuel or my families. The fuel of life is
    worth ALL of your money. If you want to eat kibbled mush or whatever you
    can find for 99 cents a pound or LESS that is up to you..it may be the
    healthier approach ..but you are not going to learn much about cooking,
    cooking mush. You will learn to stir.

    I like art also.. maybe you are more like Rauschenberg or Picasso.. and
    are actually doing a study of [censored] on a red plate. Who knows??..
    only you I guess. My dog gets better looking food that that stuff you are
    showing off.

    I know a guy who is WAY well off and buys his shoes at Walmart, dates them
    to test how long they last. He also has 2 huge bunions. He "cooks" like
    you do. S O S everyday. That ain't cooking. Each to their own. But, you
    SAID you like to cook. When I eat something like you are eating, and it
    appears from your post..nearly every day.. I HIDE and eat it..and will not
    take a picture of that one. Cooking is ART. You are not a artist in the
    kitchen.

    Education is great. You have some education, but your taste buds
    obviously have very little.

    bon appetite


    You are strung way too tight. Relax a little and don't spend so much time
    judging.
    Janet

  4. cathyxyz said:


    jay said:
    modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.

    You seem like a nice guy.

    Quoted message said:

    If modem's food pix "offend" you - then don't click on the links.
    Nothing wrong with "constructive" criticism - but I haven't seen
    anything that comes close to that in your post, and others like it on
    this NG. I think there are a whole lot of posters here that need to
    read "How to Make Friends and Influence People".

    Mr. you are a meshuggener. You keep chasing me..is it love? I did not say
    his pix offended me. You need to take your OWN advice and read the book.
    You have obviously not read it. When you get a chance the book to get is
    "How to WIN friends and Influence People."

  5. jay said:

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:11:41 -0800, cathyxyz wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    Mr. you are a meshuggener. You keep chasing me..is it love? I did not say
    his pix offended me. You need to take your OWN advice and read the book.
    You have obviously not read it. When you get a chance the book to get is
    "How to WIN friends and Influence People."

    That's *Mrs.* Meshuggener to you.... and I am sure Mr Carnegie is
    turning in his grave as we speak....

    Lemme give you a little quote from the man himself: (I think point
    number 3. would be worth remembering)

    Part Four
    Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing
    Resentment
    A leader's job often includes changing your people's attitudes and
    behavior. Some suggestions to accomplish this:

    1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
    2. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
    3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
    4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
    5. Let the other person save face.
    6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be
    "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."
    7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
    8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
    9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  6. Janet Bostwick said:


    "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.



    <snipped the ugly part>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bon appetite

    Quoted message said:

    You are strung way too tight. Relax a little and don't spend so much
    time judging.
    Janet

    Thanks Janet..I promise I will try to be more perfect. The truth is
    sometimes painful. Don't you really think he is placing his pix here to
    get some reaction? Those that keep saying that the plate looks lovely
    and that the blended concoctions look "yummy" are a bunch of liers and
    perennial suckisms. When he writes the book you and the other PSisms will
    be chapter one.

    BTW.. I actually like modom and would even eat a meal with him..but NOT at
    his house.

    AND..try to have a sense of humor..good for longevity.

  7. cathyxyz and semi-pro kibitzer said:


    jay said:

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:11:41 -0800, cathyxyz and semi-pro
    kibitzer wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Mr. you are a meshuggener. You keep chasing me..is it love? I did not
    say his pix offended me. You need to take your OWN advice and read the
    book. You have obviously not read it. When you get a chance the book
    to get is "How to WIN friends and Influence People."

    Quoted message said:

    That's *Mrs.* Meshuggener to you.... and I am sure Mr Carnegie is
    turning in his grave as we speak....

    Don't keep being stupid.. *MRS* if that is what you are.. is *meshuggeneh*

    Nice contribution...xoxo

  8. jay said:


    Don't keep being stupid.. *MRS* if that is what you are.. is *meshuggeneh*

    I don't have to, sweetie, you got that covered.....

    SMOOOOOOOCH.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  9. jay said:
    modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.

    You seem like a nice guy. I have eaten many meals that don't even come
    close to looking and probably tasting as good as yours. I have
    eaten many "meals" out of a plastic bag or standing over the stove. My
    comments are not meant to offend you..even if they do.

    You like to cook? Sorry, but from the pictures of what you have posted
    you don't know how to cook and are not learning much. You have a good
    job, why don't you spend some of that money you are hoarding on some
    QUALITY ingredients? You probably spend way more in a month on art
    supplies than on food,.. frugal..like a lot of people. 3$ gasoline, ok,
    but I ain't wasting nothing on my fuel or my families. The fuel of life is
    worth ALL of your money. If you want to eat kibbled mush or whatever you
    can find for 99 cents a pound or LESS that is up to you..it may be the
    healthier approach ..but you are not going to learn much about cooking,
    cooking mush. You will learn to stir.

    I like art also.. maybe you are more like Rauschenberg or Picasso.. and
    are actually doing a study of [censored] on a red plate. Who knows??..
    only you I guess. My dog gets better looking food that that stuff you are
    showing off.

    I know a guy who is WAY well off and buys his shoes at Walmart, dates them
    to test how long they last. He also has 2 huge bunions. He "cooks" like
    you do. S O S everyday. That ain't cooking. Each to their own. But, you
    SAID you like to cook. When I eat something like you are eating, and it
    appears from your post..nearly every day.. I HIDE and eat it..and will not
    take a picture of that one. Cooking is ART. You are not a artist in the
    kitchen.

    Education is great. You have some education, but your taste buds
    obviously have very little.

    Jay said it all, what can I add.

    Sheldon

  10. Sheldon said:


    Jay said it all, what can I add.

    I knew it! You and jay - my, my, my - well I hope he/she has big
    [censored]....

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  11. cathyxyz said:
    jay said:

    cathyxyz wrote:

    Mr. you are a meshuggener. You keep chasing me..is it love? I did not say
    his pix offended me. You need to take your OWN advice and read the book.
    You have obviously not read it. When you get a chance the book to get is
    "How to WIN friends and Influence People."

    That's *Mrs.* Meshuggener to you.... and I am sure Mr Carnegie is
    turning in his grave as we speak....

    Meshugeneh - Mad, crazy, insane female.
    Meshugener - Mad, crazy, insane male

    Quoted message said:

    Lemme give you a little quote from the man himself: (I think point
    number 3. would be worth remembering)

    And you don't find that ploy just a wee bit transparent.. not eveyone
    is brain dead.

    Quoted message said:

    Part Four
    Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing
    Resentment
    A leader's job often includes changing your people's attitudes and
    behavior. Some suggestions to accomplish this:

    1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
    2. Call attention to people's mistakes _indirectly_. <you subscribe to lying>l
    3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
    4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
    5. Let the other person save face.
    6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be
    "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."
    7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
    8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
    9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

    Utter nonsense... people don't change... disingenuousness and lying
    ain't change, a rose by any other name smells the same, as do
    disingenuousness and lying, no matter what you call them they still
    stink! The difference between Jay and cathyxyz is Jay doesn't do
    "kissyass". I can respect and debate differences of opinion but there
    is no way I can succumb to any form of kissyass. Mr Carnegie never
    grew a spine so he promoted brownnosing... when he promoted turn the
    other cheek he meant kissyass left, right, and center.

    Sheldon

  12. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Janet Bostwick said:


    "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:37:14 -0600, modom wrote:

    > http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    > I just like to cook, too.


    <snipped the ugly part>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bon appetite

    Quoted message said:

    You are strung way too tight. Relax a little and don't spend so much
    time judging.
    Janet

    Thanks Janet..I promise I will try to be more perfect. The truth is
    sometimes painful. Don't you really think he is placing his pix here to
    get some reaction? Those that keep saying that the plate looks lovely
    and that the blended concoctions look "yummy" are a bunch of liers and
    perennial suckisms. When he writes the book you and the other PSisms will
    be chapter one.

    BTW.. I actually like modom and would even eat a meal with him..but NOT at
    his house.

    AND..try to have a sense of humor..good for longevity.


    I don't want or expect you to be perfect. My comment was based solely upon
    your observation of the guy that buys WalMart shoes. My impression is that
    how others behave is important to you and it shouldn't be. Peace, o.k.?
    Janet

  13. Janet Bostwick said:

    "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You are strung way too tight. Relax a little and don't spend so much time


    judging.

    It's a Newsgroup. Newsgroups are open forums meant primarilly for
    debate. RFC is for *discussing* food issues... not for as you imply,
    for masturbating each other. This ain't that kinda Newsgroup, Janet...
    seems you're the one strung too tight, your goo is drooling off the
    edge of your pc chair in buckets and still no orgasms

    Sheldon

  14. Sheldon said:


    Utter nonsense... people don't change... disingenuousness and lying
    ain't change, a rose by any other name smells the same, as do
    disingenuousness and lying, no matter what you call them they still
    stink! The difference between Jay and cathyxyz is Jay doesn't do
    "kissyass". I can respect and debate differences of opinion but there
    is no way I can succumb to any form of kissyass. Mr Carnegie never
    grew a spine so he promoted brownnosing... when he promoted turn the
    other cheek he meant kissyass left, right, and center.

    Is that hole in your foot still a bit sore, Sheldon?

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  15. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    snip creative stuff

    Quoted message said:


    It's a Newsgroup.
    Sheldon

    Hi Sheldon,
    Things slow in your neck of the woods today?
    Janet

  16. jay said:
    modom said:

    http://i1.tinypic.com/of1slw.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    I just like to cook, too.



    You wrote this paragraph:

    Quoted message said:

    You seem like a nice guy. I have eaten many meals that don't even come
    close to looking and probably tasting as good as yours. I have
    eaten many "meals" out of a plastic bag or standing over the stove. My
    comments are not meant to offend you..even if they do.

    Then you wrote this one:

    Quoted message said:


    You like to cook? Sorry, but from the pictures of what you have posted
    you don't know how to cook and are not learning much. You have a good
    job, why don't you spend some of that money you are hoarding on some
    QUALITY ingredients? You probably spend way more in a month on art
    supplies than on food,.. frugal..like a lot of people. 3$ gasoline, ok,
    but I ain't wasting nothing on my fuel or my families. The fuel of life is
    worth ALL of your money. If you want to eat kibbled mush or whatever you
    can find for 99 cents a pound or LESS that is up to you..it may be the
    healthier approach ..but you are not going to learn much about cooking,
    cooking mush. You will learn to stir.

    So which is it? My stuff tasted better than the "meals" you scarfed
    out of plastic bags, as you wrote in the fist graf; or mine is
    uniformly kibbled mush? If it is both, then what brand of kibbled
    mush out of a plastic bag do you prefer when you indulge?

    Further, I ask that you support your assertions concerning my budget
    with evidence or withdraw them.

    [do-it-yourself art criticism snipped]

    Jeeze, what a nutcase.
    --
    modom

    "My baby's got no clothes
    'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

    -- Chuck E. Weiss

  17. cathyxyz said:
    jay said:

    On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:11:41 -0800, cathyxyz wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Mr. you are a meshuggener. You keep chasing me..is it love? I did not say
    his pix offended me. You need to take your OWN advice and read the book.
    You have obviously not read it. When you get a chance the book to get is
    "How to WIN friends and Influence People."

    That's *Mrs.* Meshuggener to you.... and I am sure Mr Carnegie is
    turning in his grave as we speak....

    Lemme give you a little quote from the man himself: (I think point
    number 3. would be worth remembering)

    Part Four
    Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing
    Resentment
    A leader's job often includes changing your people's attitudes and
    behavior. Some suggestions to accomplish this:

    1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
    2. Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
    3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
    4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
    5. Let the other person save face.
    6. Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be
    "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."
    7. Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
    8. Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
    9. Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)


    All that is very wise advce when you are employing or training adults.
    However, I do remember my DH used to work with a most exasperating woman
    who reacted very badly to praise. She couldn't cope with it at all, she
    was only happy, if you see what I mean, when she was being criticised.
    To that end she would go out of her way to stuff things up, and start
    apologising before her mistake had even been uncovered. They got a new
    boss who tried giving her more responsibility with a view to praising
    her when she completed whatever it was successfully. In the end he gave
    up and exiled her to an area where she was out of everyone's way and not
    doing much, which pleased everybody.

    Modom, however, is a different kettle of eels. I keep asking myself, why
    does he do it? He's showing us these pictures and inviting comment.
    Nobobdy forces him to do it.
    OK, some people have been a bit unkind, but this is usenet, you take the
    rough with the smooth. Sooner or later somebody who enjoys being abusive
    is going to call a spade a bloody shovel, or worse.

    I have not commented on his pictures on the principle that if you can't
    say anything nice... Though I was sorely tempted by that recent effort
    which looked as though the cat had vomited on the plate. However, since
    I am now commenting, I will say that his pictures aren't very good. I
    know nothing about the technical aspects of photography (others who do
    have tried to help), but I know what good food photos look like. Even
    allowing for the old fashoned style of his actual pictures, the plating
    up is amateur in the extreme. It's not even old-fashioned, it's just
    clumsy. I can only assume he never reads foodie magazines or eats out
    at half decent restaurants.

    So what is going on? Have you noticed how often he says things like
    "Sorry about the smear of sauce on the plate"? Why doesn't he just wipe
    it off before he takes the photo? We get a description of the dish, but
    the food sounds better than it looks, the reverse of the situation with
    a lot of illustrated recipes. And people say, sounds delicious, which it
    does, but the photo doesn't reinforce the description. The description
    is often an explanation of the photo, rather than a recipe.

    In the end I am reminded of the Rotary art shows where Sunday painters
    exhibit, and expect to sell, very mediocre paintings which must have
    cost $100 to frame. The punters stand in front of them saying "There's a
    lot of work in it...", which is true but does not mean the paintings are
    any good as art. If you point out that the perspective's all wrong or
    the composition is poor they glare at you, making elitist judgments
    about some poor bugger who's just trying their best. The point is, if
    you put your work on public display in open competition with others who
    may be more skilled than you are, you've got to be prepared to accept
    fair criticism.

    Christine

  18. Sheldon said:
    Janet Bostwick said:

    "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You are strung way too tight. Relax a little and don't spend so much time


    judging.

    It's a Newsgroup. Newsgroups are open forums meant primarilly for
    debate. RFC is for *discussing* food issues... not for as you imply,
    for masturbating each other. This ain't that kinda Newsgroup, Janet...
    seems you're the one strung too tight, your goo is drooling off the
    edge of your pc chair in buckets and still no orgasms

    Sheldon


    And here was me worrying that you'd mellowed during my prolonged absence!

    Christine

  19. Old Mother Ashby said:

    All that is very wise advce when you are employing or training adults.
    However, I do remember my DH used to work with a most exasperating woman
    who reacted very badly to praise. She couldn't cope with it at all, she
    was only happy, if you see what I mean, when she was being criticised.
    To that end she would go out of her way to stuff things up, and start
    apologising before her mistake had even been uncovered. They got a new
    boss who tried giving her more responsibility with a view to praising
    her when she completed whatever it was successfully. In the end he gave
    up and exiled her to an area where she was out of everyone's way and not
    doing much, which pleased everybody.

    Modom, however, is a different kettle of eels. I keep asking myself, why
    does he do it? He's showing us these pictures and inviting comment.
    Nobobdy forces him to do it.
    OK, some people have been a bit unkind, but this is usenet, you take the
    rough with the smooth. Sooner or later somebody who enjoys being abusive
    is going to call a spade a bloody shovel, or worse.

    I have not commented on his pictures on the principle that if you can't
    say anything nice... Though I was sorely tempted by that recent effort
    which looked as though the cat had vomited on the plate. However, since
    I am now commenting, I will say that his pictures aren't very good. I
    know nothing about the technical aspects of photography (others who do
    have tried to help), but I know what good food photos look like. Even
    allowing for the old fashoned style of his actual pictures, the plating
    up is amateur in the extreme. It's not even old-fashioned, it's just
    clumsy. I can only assume he never reads foodie magazines or eats out
    at half decent restaurants.

    So what is going on? Have you noticed how often he says things like
    "Sorry about the smear of sauce on the plate"? Why doesn't he just wipe
    it off before he takes the photo? We get a description of the dish, but
    the food sounds better than it looks, the reverse of the situation with
    a lot of illustrated recipes. And people say, sounds delicious, which it
    does, but the photo doesn't reinforce the description. The description
    is often an explanation of the photo, rather than a recipe.

    In the end I am reminded of the Rotary art shows where Sunday painters
    exhibit, and expect to sell, very mediocre paintings which must have
    cost $100 to frame. The punters stand in front of them saying "There's a
    lot of work in it...", which is true but does not mean the paintings are
    any good as art. If you point out that the perspective's all wrong or
    the composition is poor they glare at you, making elitist judgments
    about some poor bugger who's just trying their best. The point is, if
    you put your work on public display in open competition with others who
    may be more skilled than you are, you've got to be prepared to accept
    fair criticism.

    Christine

    Thanks! This thread needed your input.

  20. Old Mother Ashby said:
    Quoted message said:

    The point is, if you put your work on public display in open competition with others who
    may be more skilled than you are, you've got to be prepared to accept
    fair criticism.

    You have raised some very good points, Christine... but as you said:
    fair criticism... I still think that some of the remarks made were
    uncalled for... Several people have criticized modem's pix and offered
    some helpful advice, whereas others have just been plain old rude and
    insulting. At least modem is enjoying his cooking adventures/pix - and
    so am I 😉
    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.