Re: Lemond etape vs Trek 1.2

Mark T

Guest
Mark writtificated:

> I am considering a Lemond Etape or a Trek 1.2 for a fast commuter
> bike. It will all be on the road and the route is fairly hilly &
> windy, but it is not a long commute.
>
> Since both bikes are the same price here is there any pros or cons to
> either of these bikes that would help me decide?

Assuming you're going for the double chainring versions it's an easy
choice. The Trek.

Fittings for a rack and 50 tooth big ring -you'll use all the cassette at
the back- whereas the Lemond has a 53 tooth big ring. This is, frankly, a
pointless bit of **** waving on a bike like this.

Mark T wrote:
> Mark writtificated:
>
>> I am considering a Lemond Etape or a Trek 1.2 for a fast commuter
>> bike. It will all be on the road and the route is fairly hilly &
>> windy, but it is not a long commute.
>>
>> Since both bikes are the same price here is there any pros or cons to
>> either of these bikes that would help me decide?

> Assuming you're going for the double chainring versions it's an easy
> choice. The Trek.

For a hilly commute I would recommend a triple. Commuting isn't the same
as taking the bike out for exercise, often you are tired and it is not
good on the knees to go up hills, tired in too high a gear.

I've got a trek 1000 which is fine for commuting.

On 24 May 2008 08:38:28 GMT, Mark T
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Mark writtificated:
>
>> I am considering a Lemond Etape or a Trek 1.2 for a fast commuter
>> bike. It will all be on the road and the route is fairly hilly &
>> windy, but it is not a long commute.
>>
>> Since both bikes are the same price here is there any pros or cons to
>> either of these bikes that would help me decide?

>Assuming you're going for the double chainring versions it's an easy
>choice. The Trek.
>
>Fittings for a rack and 50 tooth big ring -you'll use all the cassette at
>the back- whereas the Lemond has a 53 tooth big ring. This is, frankly, a
>pointless bit of **** waving on a bike like this.

According to web pages I have looked at it's the other way around
(Trek with 53 teeth). The Lemond does not seem to have a double
option.

http://www.lemondbikes.com/bikes/road_racing/performance_aluminum/etape.php
http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/road/1_series/12e/

Mark writtificated

> According to web pages I have looked at it's the other way around
> (Trek with 53 teeth). The Lemond does not seem to have a double
> option.

<checks history> I was looking at these sites:

<www.speeds-cycles.co.uk/road-bikes/2008-trek-12-road-bike.html>
2008 Trek 1.2 with either double or triple chainset, both 50 teeth on the
big ring

<www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86377>
2008 Lemond Etape, double with 53 tooth big ring.