Re: NAILED BY NISSAN TRUCK RIDING MY LOWRACER VK2 RECUMBENT!

Tom Sherman

Guest
Jay Beattie wrote:
> It's back to Providence tomorrow to have a titanium rod put in my
> tibia. I wanted carbon fiber -- red preferrably, with white stripes.
> They told me not to waste my money just to shave a few grams off my
> leg....

What is wrong with good old fashioned stainless steel (as long as it is
a nickel free alloy)? ;)

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:49:16 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jay Beattie wrote:
>> It's back to Providence tomorrow to have a titanium rod put in my
>> tibia. I wanted carbon fiber -- red preferrably, with white stripes.
>> They told me not to waste my money just to shave a few grams off my
>> leg....

Heal fast. Heal whole, Jay.

>What is wrong with good old fashioned stainless steel (as long as it is
>a nickel free alloy)? ;)

First intuition tells me that the mark-up on titanium is greater than
that on stainless steel.

My ti-tibia was installed and I was sitting in my room ten hours
after arriving in ER, pedalling a stationary bike within ten days and
riding on the street in just over ten weeks. I was lucky to have not
gibbled the knee or ankle other than the soft tissue damage. A cast
was offered but the recovery time would have been longer. I've not
yet regretted opting for the implant.
--
zk