rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: New handle attachment Idea. will it hold?

Started by Seager · · Last activity · 8 posts · 214 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
3 December 2006
Last activity
4 December 2006
Original author
Seager
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
214
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I think it would flex alot, and you'd want to but a brace between it and
    the actual seat.

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  2. Seager said:

    I think it would flex alot, and you'd want to but a brace between it and
    the actual seat.

    i don't think it would flex at all... depending on what its made of
    you could add a brace above the post and maybe below so that it doesn't
    break

    its a pretty good idea

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><

    ____________________________________________
    -last edited by \"your mom\" at 8:35 pm -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  3. I'm with skrobo. But instead of welding it to the brake mount, I'd make
    it like the JC coker handle (well, at least I think that's what it is)
    and weld it to a mtb stem, or something similar. That way you can
    change the height and angle (if you should decide to).

    It looks like a good idea.

    ps: That is one awesome picture.

    --
    mawesome

    DarkTom said:

    You're getting the [censored] too!

    T.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  4. I think the bike stem idea sounds good, I don't think I'll be brazing
    it. I tried to braze some alum. and steel but I keep burning through
    the alum. and I would probally distroy my seat post.🙄

    --
    Radical Reed

    'sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
    'LBS' (http://www.mbps.ca/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  5. If you weld thin tubes (std. 7/8" or 22.2mm is usually pretty thin wall
    stuff), then insert an aluminum plug about 1" long into the area where
    the 2 tubes are to be welded together. This plug will likely be about
    0.8" diameter, or whatever fits inside without slop.
    That way if you blow through the thin wall of the tubes with your
    welding torch, you'll still have something to weld to and can salvage
    the piece. Plus this makes the joint alot stronger.

    Signed,
    Learned The Hard Way

    --
    unisk8r
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  6. unisk8r said:

    If you weld thin tubes (std. 7/8" or 22.2mm is usually pretty thin wall
    stuff), then insert an aluminum plug about 1" long into the area where
    the 2 tubes are to be welded together. This plug will likely be about
    0.8" diameter, or whatever fits inside without slop.
    That way if you blow through the thin wall of the tubes with your
    welding torch, you'll still have something to weld to and can salvage
    the piece. Plus this makes the joint alot stronger.

    Signed,
    Learned The Hard Way

    Or don't use so much heat?

    If it's a wire feed, turn the voltage way down.

    --
    Borgschulze

    Torker DX on the way.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  7. unisk8r said:

    If you weld thin tubes (std. 7/8" or 22.2mm is usually pretty thin wall
    stuff), then insert an aluminum plug about 1" long into the area where
    the 2 tubes are to be welded together. This plug will likely be about
    0.8" diameter, or whatever fits inside without slop.

    hmm
    if the handle and the post are the same diameter then you could put
    another tube inside of the joint 2-3" long, that would make for a super
    strong joint

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><

    ____________________________________________
    -last edited by \"your mom\" at 8:35 pm -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

  8. Radical Reed said:

    I tried to braze some alum. and steel but I keep burning through the
    alum.

    not surprising, since brazing doesn't work on aluminum! it only works
    on alloys that contain iron or copper, as far as I know

    --
    squirrel
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    squirrel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12017
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/55373

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.