In article <[email hidden]>, Ryan Case <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:WillBrink said:In article <[email hidden]>,
Ryan Case said:WillBrink wrote:
>In article <[email hidden]>,
> Ryan Case <[email hidden]> wrote:
>
>
>
>>WillBrink wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>In article <[email hidden]>,
>>>Ryan Case <[email hidden]> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>WillBrink wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>In article <[email hidden]>, Dally <[email hidden]>
>>>>>wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>How's that?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>Terrible and estrogen filled. If I was told by the doc tests showed
>>>>>the
>>>>>kid was going to come out with DS, I would go in there myself with a
>>>>>spoon and terminate it.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>As the parent of a special needs child I can say without doubt that you
>>>>just destroyed any respect I had for you.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Your personal experience is irrelevant. It's great you love your special
>>>needs kid, but given the choice, I would want the option to terminate,
>>>and if they were not already in this world, I would want to save them
>>>and I the heartbreak of such afflictions.
>>>
>>
>>Hmmm. I am sure that if I had the time and desire I could come up with a
>>pretty convincing argument comparing the pains and benefits of raising
>>such a child with the pains and benefits of working out/lifting weights.
>
>
>And I would have no problems countering such an odd comparison. I have
>much respect for people who give all they have to raising a DS kid.
I want to make sure that I don't misrepresent myself here. My son is not
DS. He is Hemipalegic (sp).
>Bottom line however is it's not what you or anyone else wished for or
>hoped for, but what you got.
Careful there. My wife and I skipped the tests that could have told us
whether or not our son had certain hereditary problems as it didn't
matter to us. When we chose to have a child we chose to love whoever and
whatever we were given. (I could include some faith based reasoning, but
I don't want to stir up the aetheist jews.)
Ah, so if you go to have another kid, and the doc says "we now have a
drug that is 100% safe and effective for making sure that problem is
corrected with this next child" your response would be "no thanx doc, we
want another kid who is Hemipalegic."
No. And I didn't mean to imply this. (Sorry if it seemed that I was)
What I am simply stating is that a child not being "medically perfect"
is not reason to terminate it in my eyes.
Agreed, but it depends on the nature of the problem.
Quoted message said:But I also don't see aborting
an imperfect pregnancy as a solution or a means of "making sure that
problem is corrected".
No one made that claim.
Quoted message said:And it seams to me that you are in a round about
way equating the two.
Then you are not reading my post close enough.
Quoted message said:
Quite simply, if in the first tri-mester I was told that my next child
was going to hemi (yes I have heard all the dodge jokes.) I wouldn't
even have to think about whether or not I was going to keep him.
That's a different issue then my example, and I have great respect for
your being willing to have another "hemi" kid. I on the other hand, if
given the option,I would rather abort a fetus who had a genetic
affliction and would be doomed to a life in a wheel chair unable to
speak, such as severe cerebral palsy and others. No one is going to
convince me a parents heart does not break when the doc comes in the
room and tells you your kid has CP. They make the best of the situation
and come to love the kid, but don't lie to me or yourself by telling me
heartbreak is not involved here.
Quoted message said:
Of course I would rather my son didn't have to go through these
difficulties. I would be crazy to wish otherwise. But that doesn't mean
that I feel he would have been better off to not exist. Which is what it
seemed you were saying.
Only you can make that decision. However, it would be relative to the
affliction and what type of life the kid would have to look forward to.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Sorry, I don't buy it nor would
any parent turn that away. You can justify all you want how grateful you
are to have a special needs kid.
Once again, there is a major difference between turning away a cure, and
turning away from a pregnancy because of complications. You seem to be
equating the again.
Quoted message said:
I am greatful to have a child, special needs or not. The truth of the
matter is that when you are in this kind of situation it is just life.
Not normal life, or special needs life or any of that other labeling
[censored]. It is life, dealing with the hand you are dealt, just like my bum
knee, skin cancer and bad skin, but on a different level.
Quoted message said:It wont have any effects on me as I
know the truth.
No one wishes for a handicapped, SD, retarded, etc kid
and given the actual choice, would choose not to have it if they could
cure it.
I am not stating the opposite to that (although I do have some friends
that would like to adopt a DS child). What I was saying is that there
are many folks out there who don't see killing a pregnancy becuase it is
imperfect as an option. I feel I must bring us back to what caused me to
have the emotional knee jerk reaction in your original post. You stated
that you would abort a "imperfect" pregnancy. Now you are talking about
curing it. Two different things. Plain and simple. Curing an ilness/
malidy usually does not require the death of the host/afflicted. What
you are talking about is irradication.
One must be careful. This almost smacks of halocost. Curing the world of
DS babies by aborting them. (because you don't know me very well, I feel
it is in the best interest of this discussion to let you know that that
was a good natured jab.)
Quoted message said:The rest is academic as to what I would choose to have and
what you have chosen to accept.
Agreed. And a part of me feels sorry for you for your, albeit
hypothetical, decision in the matter. I hope that something happens in
your life to cause you to change your mind. But I am not going to make
it my job to try and do so.
Ryan
Quoted message said:
--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/