re numb wrists n hands ????????????

colmlindsay

May 3, 2010
hi i was just wondering about my hands n wrists getting numb after about 10/15 minutes of cycling .

what am i doing wrong or can i change my way of cycling to prevent this

many thanks colm lindsay :D

Bike fit, technique can cause this problem. Have you ever had someone fit your bike to you?
The stem, bike frame size, seat height, seat tilt, seat forward or backward position can create a problem. Even the width of the bars can put you out of position if they are sized wrong.

Core training... you are probably supporting a lot of your weight with your hands... which can improve with a proper fitting.

This used to happen to me, even with a fitted bike... until i began working on my core... now I support my upper body through pedaling technique and abs...so less strain on the hands.

Push harder on the pedals - that'll instantly put less weight on your wrists. ;)

Don't forget padded gloves and changing your hand positions frequently, ie from hoods to bar to drops.

If, after heeding all the previously posted advice, you still get numb wrists and hands, lift the affected arm off the bar completely and dangle it beside you and shake it occasionally, until the tingling subsides. I will get this a few times on most rides but then, I am now 63 and my body does not work nearly as well as it used to.

colmlindsay said:
...can i change my way of cycling to prevent this...
In addition to the good advice above, make sure you're not 'dropping' your wrists, especially when you ride with your hands on the bar tops. IOW, the back (topside) of your wrists should form a straight line with your forearm not a sharp angle. A lot of folks drop their wrists when riding on the tops and it can pinch nerves and cut off circulation to your hands and can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome on the bike.

-Dave

THANKS VERY MUCH LADS FOR ALL THE TIPS/ADVICE I WILL TAKE IT ON BOARD AND KEEP PEDDALLING :D