Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: OT Is anyone really surprised?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 12 posts · 487 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 January 2008
Last activity
14 January 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
487
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bill ranted:

    Quoted message said:

    Exactly. There isn't a damned thing I'm told by a politician, read in
    a study, or read as the "latest advance" in medeicine and other things
    I don't either take with a grain of sand, or seriously question, even
    if it sounds good.

    You have, of course, swallowed the entire right-wing obfuscation
    point: the point isn't to do science, uncover facts, learn, or make
    informed decisions--it's to sow doubt and to discredit actual
    expertise.

  2. Quoted message said:

    Bill ranted:

    Quoted message said:

    Exactly. There isn't a damned thing I'm told by a politician, read in
    a study, or read as the "latest advance" in medeicine and other things
    I don't either take with a grain of sand, or seriously question, even
    if it sounds good.

    You have, of course, swallowed the entire right-wing obfuscation
    point: the point isn't to do science, uncover facts, learn, or make
    informed decisions--it's to sow doubt and to discredit actual
    expertise.

    Both sides hire their experts, you just agree with those on the left.
    I think they are mostly all paid stooges doing what their masters tell
    them on both sides.
    Academic ethics is about as cotradictory as military intelligence
    IMO, at least in things that aren't cut and dried, reproducible, hard
    science.
    In this case I think there are so many unknowns, based on people,
    intimidation, threats, and using the researchers to gain an advantage
    that there's no way in hell to come up with anything approaching an
    accurate result. That's why I take all the claims with a grain of
    salt.
    Show me ANY war, let alone one as complicated as this mess where we
    have solid, confirmed, accurate, hard science "proof" type study
    results. I don't think there's a single one in history. The situation,
    by definition is chaos, everyone is lying for advantage, and
    propaganda, people are made to disappear without any certainty of
    disposition, ridiculous claims are made and "verified" then later
    found to be fabrications.
    I'm not saying that thay didn't try, and didn't use what are
    considered to be valid methodology. I just don't think any methodology
    is accurate in this type of mess and can be used to get any result
    they're paid to get.
    Bill C

  3. Bill C said:

    On Jan 14, 11:36 am, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You have, of course, swallowed the entire right-wing obfuscation
    point: the point isn't to do science, uncover facts, learn, or make
    informed decisions--it's to sow doubt and to discredit actual
    expertise.

    Both sides hire their experts, you just agree with those on the left.
    I think they are mostly all paid stooges doing what their masters tell
    them on both sides.
    Academic ethics is about as cotradictory as military intelligence
    IMO, at least in things that aren't cut and dried, reproducible, hard
    science.
    In this case I think there are so many unknowns, based on people,
    intimidation, threats, and using the researchers to gain an advantage
    that there's no way in hell to come up with anything approaching an
    accurate result. That's why I take all the claims with a grain of
    salt.
    Show me ANY war, let alone one as complicated as this mess where we
    have solid, confirmed, accurate, hard science "proof" type study
    results. I don't think there's a single one in history. The situation,
    by definition is chaos, everyone is lying for advantage, and
    propaganda, people are made to disappear without any certainty of
    disposition, ridiculous claims are made and "verified" then later
    found to be fabrications.
    I'm not saying that thay didn't try, and didn't use what are
    considered to be valid methodology. I just don't think any methodology
    is accurate in this type of mess and can be used to get any result
    they're paid to get.
    Bill C

    Of course you'd say that. Those are the exact wingnut arguments, and
    you've swallowed them entirely. Doesn't say much for your critical
    thinking.

  4. Dans le message de
    news:[email hidden],
    [email hidden] <[email hidden]> a réfléchi, et
    puis a déclaré :

    Quoted message said:
    Bill C said:

    On Jan 14, 11:36 am, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You have, of course, swallowed the entire right-wing obfuscation
    point: the point isn't to do science, uncover facts, learn, or make
    informed decisions--it's to sow doubt and to discredit actual
    expertise.

    Both sides hire their experts, you just agree with those on the left.
    I think they are mostly all paid stooges doing what their masters
    tell them on both sides.
    Academic ethics is about as cotradictory as military intelligence
    IMO, at least in things that aren't cut and dried, reproducible, hard
    science.
    In this case I think there are so many unknowns, based on people,
    intimidation, threats, and using the researchers to gain an advantage
    that there's no way in hell to come up with anything approaching an
    accurate result. That's why I take all the claims with a grain of
    salt.
    Show me ANY war, let alone one as complicated as this mess where we
    have solid, confirmed, accurate, hard science "proof" type study
    results. I don't think there's a single one in history. The
    situation, by definition is chaos, everyone is lying for advantage,
    and propaganda, people are made to disappear without any certainty of
    disposition, ridiculous claims are made and "verified" then later
    found to be fabrications.
    I'm not saying that thay didn't try, and didn't use what are
    considered to be valid methodology. I just don't think any
    methodology is accurate in this type of mess and can be used to get
    any result they're paid to get.
    Bill C

    Of course you'd say that. Those are the exact wingnut arguments, and
    you've swallowed them entirely. Doesn't say much for your critical
    thinking.

    Actually, your thinking is far from critical; it is basically closed-loop,
    Washingtonian, numbers-mean-what-I-say-if-they-are-justifiable.

    None of the numbers, not the first Iraqi nor the first American who died in
    this conflict, not the latest deaths or numbers, do more than reduce human
    lives to picayune chess pieces on a board of complexity and topology that
    obscures genuine moral compromises, contradictions, inferences that preceded
    the current milennium by a vast stretch of time. There is no break-even
    strategy conceivable, nor does the actual number help figure out how much
    land is devoted to burials instead of productive human industry.

    If the academic in you revels in having better numbers, it doesn't add to
    the resolution of conflict, except perhaps in the tiny world of numbers
    theology. Each time you add a "1" to the list, it was a human life lost.
    An irreplaceable, unique human life. To think otherwise, one has started to
    side with the enemy. I am sure that Al Qaeda wanted big numbers, too. They
    salivated when the count was reported as 10,000, whined when it dropped to
    5,000 and were really [censored] when the final tally came in. Right - not
    the final final final tally. I babbled. Sorry.
    --
    "Manners are of more importance than laws.
    Upon them, in a great measure, the laws depend.
    Manners are what vex or soothe,
    corrupt or purify, exalt or debase,
    barbarize or refine us, by a constant,
    steady, uniform, insensible operation
    like that of the air we breathe in."
    E. Burke

  5. Quoted message said:


    Of course you'd say that. Those are the exact wingnut arguments, and
    you've swallowed them entirely. Doesn't say much for your critical
    thinking.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    In large part that thinking was firmed up starting with YOUR attack on
    how it was impossible to conduct an accurate survey in post war
    Vietnam due to the government's interference.
    There's 10 times that in Iraq, and various competing groups exerting
    "governemental" powers in various areas.
    How is your own argument against being able to get a good study in
    limited opposition and chaos not even more applicable in a much more
    chaotic and violent environment?
    Please enlighten me.
    Bill C

  6. Sandy said:

    I babbled.

    Then we agree.

  7. "Sandy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dans le message de
    Actually, your thinking is far from critical; it is basically closed-loop,
    Washingtonian, numbers-mean-what-I-say-if-they-are-justifiable.

    None of the numbers, not the first Iraqi nor the first American who died
    in this conflict, not the latest deaths or numbers, do more than reduce
    human lives to picayune chess pieces on a board of complexity and topology
    that obscures genuine moral compromises, contradictions, inferences that
    preceded the current milennium by a vast stretch of time. There is no
    break-even strategy conceivable, nor does the actual number help figure
    out how much land is devoted to burials instead of productive human
    industry.

    If the academic in you revels in having better numbers, it doesn't add to
    the resolution of conflict, except perhaps in the tiny world of numbers
    theology. Each time you add a "1" to the list, it was a human life lost.
    An irreplaceable, unique human life. To think otherwise, one has started
    to side with the enemy. I am sure that Al Qaeda wanted big numbers, too.
    They salivated when the count was reported as 10,000, whined when it
    dropped to 5,000 and were really [censored] when the final tally came in.
    Right - not the final final final tally. I babbled. Sorry.

    Thanks for your contribution Sandy. Now if all intelligent persons could
    think as carefully as you.

  8. Dans le message de
    news:[email hidden],
    [email hidden] <[email hidden]> a réfléchi, et
    puis a déclaré :

    Quoted message said:
    Sandy said:

    I babbled.

    Then we agree.

    That was like doing an appendectomy to save the appendix.

  9. Bill C said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course you'd say that. Those are the exact wingnut arguments, and
    you've swallowed them entirely. Doesn't say much for your critical
    thinking.

    In large part that thinking was firmed up starting with YOUR attack on
    how it was impossible to conduct an accurate survey in post war
    Vietnam due to the government's interference.

    I didn't say that at all. Go back and look. I said that the snowball
    sample technique that Desbarats used could not be used to get an
    accurate rate since it had no denominator. I explained this to you
    before. That you continue to persist in this means either that you
    don't understand the technical and methodological issues (and are
    therefore incompetent to judge the issues in this case) or else you
    did understand them and are now willfully misrepresenting them. Which
    is it?

  10. Sandy said:

    Dans le message denews:[email hidden],
    [email hidden] <[email hidden]> a réfléchi, et
    puis a déclaré :

    Quoted message said:
    Sandy said:

    I babbled.

    Quoted message said:

    Then we agree.

    That was like doing an appendectomy to save the appendix.

    In this case, it was the only part worth saving.

  11. Quoted message said:
    Bill C said:

    On Jan 14, 12:31 pm, [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course you'd say that. Those are the exact wingnut arguments, and
    you've swallowed them entirely. Doesn't say much for your critical
    thinking.

    Quoted message said:

    In large part that thinking was firmed up starting with YOUR attack on
    how it was impossible to conduct an accurate survey in post war
    Vietnam due to the government's interference.

    I didn't say that at all. Go back and look. I said that the snowball
    sample technique that Desbarats used could not be used to get an
    accurate rate since it had no denominator. I explained this to you
    before. That you continue to persist in this means either that you
    don't understand the technical and methodological issues (and are
    therefore incompetent to judge the issues in this case) or else you
    did understand them and are now willfully misrepresenting them. Which
    is it?

    I'll have to go back and re-read that stuff. I do remember you
    disputing the method, but also stating that there was no good way to
    get a reliable survey in those type of conditions.
    Could be my faulty memory.
    Bill C

  12. Sandy said:


    Actually, your thinking is far from critical; it is basically closed-loop,
    Washingtonian, numbers-mean-what-I-say-if-they-are-justifiable.

    None of the numbers, not the first Iraqi nor the first American who died in
    this conflict, not the latest deaths or numbers, do more than reduce human
    lives to picayune chess pieces on a board of complexity and topology that
    obscures genuine moral compromises, contradictions, inferences that preceded
    the current milennium by a vast stretch of time. There is no break-even
    strategy conceivable, nor does the actual number help figure out how much
    land is devoted to burials instead of productive human industry.

    If the academic in you revels in having better numbers, it doesn't add to
    the resolution of conflict, except perhaps in the tiny world of numbers
    theology. Each time you add a "1" to the list, it was a human life lost.
    An irreplaceable, unique human life. To think otherwise, one has started to
    side with the enemy. I am sure that Al Qaeda wanted big numbers, too. They
    salivated when the count was reported as 10,000, whined when it dropped to
    5,000 and were really [censored] when the final tally came in. Right - not
    the final final final tally. I babbled. Sorry.

    This is a fine-sounding sentiment in a perfect world.
    In an imperfect world, it's hooey, and some idea of
    this can be drawn from the reasons that Kunich cheered it.
    In our imperfect world, we say that every life is sacred,
    but in practice we don't shed tears each time someone
    dies in a faraway country, so we might as well count
    to understand the magnitude of what is happening.

    Most cultures have elaborate rituals that are performed
    to remember the dead. Societies that can spend the
    effort go to great lengths to recover the bodies of
    victims of disasters (drowning, mine collapse, air
    crash, and so on). This gives some idea of the value
    placed on remembrance.

    In the case of the casualties in Iraq, we (meaning
    people outside the families of the disappeared, from
    the Iraqi government to the US govt to you and me)
    don't know their names, the dates they vanished, the
    dates of their demise, or what the hell happened.
    The least we can do, however, is count them as
    previously having existed. If we don't do that, we
    are saying it doesn't matter, regardless of fine
    talk about the preciousness of life.

    Functioning societies know who lives in them and
    make a census, crudely or accurately, of their
    inhabitants. When someone disappears or dies, the
    fact is reported to and noted by the civil authorities.

    The fact that we are even having this discussion, and
    that 5 years after the invasion, civil structures
    in Iraq are still so dysfunctional that nobody can
    accurately say who got killed or died of disease
    or fled or previously existed and now does not,
    is evidence on its face of the failure of the
    American misadventure in Iraq.

    Ben
    Bush _said_ he didn't believe in nation-building.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.