General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: [RANT] Re: Study says 'Glycemic Index' diet DOES work

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 9 posts · 362 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 November 2004
Last activity
30 November 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
362
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat fewer
    calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food source, just
    as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to their
    scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an increase. We must
    divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie. diabetics etc., and those which
    have weight problems. The former are aided by carb moderated dietes
    because of glucose control, the latter must be concerned first and most of
    all with calorie intake and weight status regardless of food sources.

    Quoted message said:

    One of the things that pisses me off about people who vehemently argue (or
    blatantly pull facts out of their ass), against Atkins, when they don't even
    know what the hell they're talking about. Had a bit of an argument with a
    co-worker - but I was lucky enough to get her to listen with an open mind
    for about a minute. I told her about the four stages of the Atkins diet and
    how, when you are comfortable with your weight/size, you increase your carb
    intake to a level where you are no longer losing weight (but not gaining
    either)...

    Haven't any of the ignorant anti-Atkins people read the book?

    Sure, the body produces ketones (which are harmful), but if you drink enough
    water and then "let that water back into the eco-system" you can keep ketone
    levels down.

    I worked with a medical student over the summer, and we had an interesting
    conversations about low-carbing. She was dead set against it - until I
    asked her "What's more healthy, carrying around 75+ extra pounds of fat for
    the rest of your life, or losing the fat by any means necessary?" When I
    put it like that, she couldn't argue with me. If obesity leads to high
    blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, self-esteem issues, whatever, why
    wouldn't you do anything and everything that worked _for you_ to take the
    weight off?

    One last thing - since when is a low-carb diet exclusively a high saturated
    fat diet? Low carb and be moderate in saturated fats - and with a little
    work, it can be low in saturated fats.

    So FU&K all the haters and let them stick their ignorant heads up their
    ignorant asses.

  2. No he doesn't. He says to start with 20/day and add to reach the proper
    level for each individual for each stage. And low carbing controls appetite
    so it helps to control calorie intake, regardless of whether one is
    diabetic.

    In news:[email hidden],
    [email hidden] <[email hidden]> stated
    | Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat fewer
    | calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food source,
    | just as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to
    | their scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an
    | increase. We must divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie.
    | diabetics etc., and those which have weight problems. The former are
    | aided by carb moderated dietes because of glucose control, the latter
    | must be concerned first and most of all with calorie intake and
    | weight status regardless of food sources.
    |
    |

  3. Also, those with weight problems are typically on the way to becoming
    diabetic and likely have become insulin resistant, thus there are glucose
    control issues for them too.

    FOB wrote:
    || No he doesn't. He says to start with 20/day and add to reach the
    || proper level for each individual for each stage. And low carbing
    || controls appetite so it helps to control calorie intake, regardless
    || of whether one is diabetic.
    ||
    || In news:[email hidden],
    || [email hidden] <[email hidden]> stated
    ||| Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat
    ||| fewer calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food
    ||| source,
    ||| just as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to
    ||| their scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an
    ||| increase. We must divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie.
    ||| diabetics etc., and those which have weight problems. The former
    ||| are aided by carb moderated dietes because of glucose control, the
    ||| latter must be concerned first and most of all with calorie intake
    ||| and
    ||| weight status regardless of food sources.

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat fewer
    calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food source, just
    as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to their
    scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an increase. We must
    divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie. diabetics etc., and those which
    have weight problems. The former are aided by carb moderated dietes
    because of glucose control, the latter must be concerned first and most of
    all with calorie intake and weight status regardless of food sources.

    Quoted message said:

    One of the things that pisses me off about people who vehemently argue (or
    blatantly pull facts out of their ass), against Atkins, when they don't
    even
    know what the hell they're talking about. Had a bit of an argument with a
    co-worker - but I was lucky enough to get her to listen with an open mind
    for about a minute. I told her about the four stages of the Atkins diet
    and
    how, when you are comfortable with your weight/size, you increase your
    carb
    intake to a level where you are no longer losing weight (but not gaining
    either)...

    Haven't any of the ignorant anti-Atkins people read the book?

    Sure, the body produces ketones (which are harmful), but if you drink
    enough
    water and then "let that water back into the eco-system" you can keep
    ketone
    levels down.

    I worked with a medical student over the summer, and we had an interesting
    conversations about low-carbing. She was dead set against it - until I
    asked her "What's more healthy, carrying around 75+ extra pounds of fat
    for
    the rest of your life, or losing the fat by any means necessary?" When I
    put it like that, she couldn't argue with me. If obesity leads to high
    blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, self-esteem issues, whatever,
    why
    wouldn't you do anything and everything that worked _for you_ to take the
    weight off?

    One last thing - since when is a low-carb diet exclusively a high
    saturated
    fat diet? Low carb and be moderate in saturated fats - and with a little
    work, it can be low in saturated fats.

    So FU&K all the haters and let them stick their ignorant heads up their
    ignorant asses.

    Well, overall I agree. I have found a lifestyle, thanks to Dr. Atkins,
    which has allowed me to lose weight and enjoy greater health benefits than I
    have known in decades. Others may want to argue it, but they don't live in
    my body.

    I don't worry about the fats very much. I do worry about the carbs, and
    tend to tank up on them first, and then fill my diet with protein and fats.
    But I'm different from everyone else on the planet, just as everyone else is
    different. Dr. Atkins realized this and pretty well explained it, and left
    it to the rest of us to find our personal paths to weight control. I've
    found mine, but I'll never say it will work for anyone else.

    It bothers and amazes me greatly that people come here and try to tell
    everyone what works, and what doesn't. They have found what works for them,
    maybe, just as I have found what works for me. There is no universal "cure
    all" or anything. Trying to fit a GM part in a Ford motor would work better
    than trying to fit a diet plan for everyone.

    It just won't work.

  5. "Jim Bard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat fewer
    calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food source, just
    as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to their
    scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an increase. We must
    divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie. diabetics etc., and those which
    have weight problems. The former are aided by carb moderated dietes
    because of glucose control, the latter must be concerned first and most of
    all with calorie intake and weight status regardless of food sources.

    Quoted message said:

    One of the things that pisses me off about people who vehemently argue (or
    blatantly pull facts out of their ass), against Atkins, when they don't
    even
    know what the hell they're talking about. Had a bit of an argument with a
    co-worker - but I was lucky enough to get her to listen with an open mind
    for about a minute. I told her about the four stages of the Atkins diet
    and
    how, when you are comfortable with your weight/size, you increase your
    carb
    intake to a level where you are no longer losing weight (but not gaining
    either)...

    Haven't any of the ignorant anti-Atkins people read the book?

    Sure, the body produces ketones (which are harmful), but if you drink
    enough
    water and then "let that water back into the eco-system" you can keep
    ketone
    levels down.

    I worked with a medical student over the summer, and we had an interesting
    conversations about low-carbing. She was dead set against it - until I
    asked her "What's more healthy, carrying around 75+ extra pounds of fat
    for
    the rest of your life, or losing the fat by any means necessary?" When I
    put it like that, she couldn't argue with me. If obesity leads to high
    blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, self-esteem issues, whatever,
    why
    wouldn't you do anything and everything that worked _for you_ to take the
    weight off?

    One last thing - since when is a low-carb diet exclusively a high
    saturated
    fat diet? Low carb and be moderate in saturated fats - and with a little
    work, it can be low in saturated fats.

    So FU&K all the haters and let them stick their ignorant heads up their
    ignorant asses.

    Well, overall I agree. I have found a lifestyle, thanks to Dr. Atkins,
    which has allowed me to lose weight and enjoy greater health benefits than I
    have known in decades. Others may want to argue it, but they don't live in
    my body.

    I don't worry about the fats very much. I do worry about the carbs, and
    tend to tank up on them first, and then fill my diet with protein and fats.
    But I'm different from everyone else on the planet, just as everyone else is
    different. Dr. Atkins realized this and pretty well explained it, and left
    it to the rest of us to find our personal paths to weight control. I've
    found mine, but I'll never say it will work for anyone else.

    It bothers and amazes me greatly that people come here and try to tell
    everyone what works, and what doesn't. They have found what works for them,
    maybe, just as I have found what works for me. There is no universal "cure
    all" or anything. Trying to fit a GM part in a Ford motor would work better
    than trying to fit a diet plan for everyone.

    It just won't work.

    Reading this thread, it's amazing how ignorant people are about Atkins
    and yet how quick they are to come to all kinds of wrong conclusions.
    Conclusions like Atkins is harmful, but low carb isn't, Atkins is
    extreme, one can never have chocolate on Atkins, etc.

  6. "Jim Bard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat fewer
    calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food source, just
    as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to their
    scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an increase. We must
    divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie. diabetics etc., and those which
    have weight problems. The former are aided by carb moderated dietes
    because of glucose control, the latter must be concerned first and most of
    all with calorie intake and weight status regardless of food sources.

    Quoted message said:

    One of the things that pisses me off about people who vehemently argue (or
    blatantly pull facts out of their ass), against Atkins, when they don't
    even
    know what the hell they're talking about. Had a bit of an argument with a
    co-worker - but I was lucky enough to get her to listen with an open mind
    for about a minute. I told her about the four stages of the Atkins diet
    and
    how, when you are comfortable with your weight/size, you increase your
    carb
    intake to a level where you are no longer losing weight (but not gaining
    either)...

    Haven't any of the ignorant anti-Atkins people read the book?

    Sure, the body produces ketones (which are harmful), but if you drink
    enough
    water and then "let that water back into the eco-system" you can keep
    ketone
    levels down.

    I worked with a medical student over the summer, and we had an interesting
    conversations about low-carbing. She was dead set against it - until I
    asked her "What's more healthy, carrying around 75+ extra pounds of fat
    for
    the rest of your life, or losing the fat by any means necessary?" When I
    put it like that, she couldn't argue with me. If obesity leads to high
    blood pressure, diabetes, joint problems, self-esteem issues, whatever,
    why
    wouldn't you do anything and everything that worked _for you_ to take the
    weight off?

    One last thing - since when is a low-carb diet exclusively a high
    saturated
    fat diet? Low carb and be moderate in saturated fats - and with a little
    work, it can be low in saturated fats.

    So FU&K all the haters and let them stick their ignorant heads up their
    ignorant asses.

    Well, overall I agree. I have found a lifestyle, thanks to Dr. Atkins,
    which has allowed me to lose weight and enjoy greater health benefits than I
    have known in decades. Others may want to argue it, but they don't live in
    my body.

    I don't worry about the fats very much. I do worry about the carbs, and
    tend to tank up on them first, and then fill my diet with protein and fats.
    But I'm different from everyone else on the planet, just as everyone else is
    different. Dr. Atkins realized this and pretty well explained it, and left
    it to the rest of us to find our personal paths to weight control. I've
    found mine, but I'll never say it will work for anyone else.

    It bothers and amazes me greatly that people come here and try to tell
    everyone what works, and what doesn't. They have found what works for them,
    maybe, just as I have found what works for me. There is no universal "cure
    all" or anything. Trying to fit a GM part in a Ford motor would work better
    than trying to fit a diet plan for everyone.

    It just won't work.

    Reading this thread, it's amazing how ignorant people are about Atkins
    and yet how quick they are to come to all kinds of wrong conclusions.
    Conclusions like Atkins is harmful, but low carb isn't, Atkins is
    extreme, one can never have chocolate on Atkins, etc.

  7. On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:52:15 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    <[email hidden]> Screamed something into the void that sounded
    like:

    Quoted message said:

    Also, those with weight problems are typically on the way to becoming
    diabetic and likely have become insulin resistant, thus there are glucose
    control issues for them too.

    if they have become insulin resistant, they are not on their way to
    becoming diabetic, they have already arrived.

    Quoted message said:


    FOB wrote:
    || No he doesn't. He says to start with 20/day and add to reach the
    || proper level for each individual for each stage. And low carbing
    || controls appetite so it helps to control calorie intake, regardless
    || of whether one is diabetic.
    ||
    || In news:[email hidden],
    || [email hidden] <[email hidden]> stated
    ||| Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat
    ||| fewer calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food
    ||| source,
    ||| just as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to
    ||| their scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an
    ||| increase. We must divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie.
    ||| diabetics etc., and those which have weight problems. The former
    ||| are aided by carb moderated dietes because of glucose control, the
    ||| latter must be concerned first and most of all with calorie intake
    ||| and
    ||| weight status regardless of food sources.

  8. Mack® wrote:
    || On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:52:15 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
    || <[email hidden]> Screamed something into the void that
    || sounded like:
    ||
    ||| Also, those with weight problems are typically on the way to
    ||| becoming diabetic and likely have become insulin resistant, thus
    ||| there are glucose control issues for them too.
    |||
    ||
    || if they have become insulin resistant, they are not on their way to
    || becoming diabetic, they have already arrived.
    ||

    Wrong.

    ||
    |||
    ||| FOB wrote:
    ||||| No he doesn't. He says to start with 20/day and add to reach the
    ||||| proper level for each individual for each stage. And low carbing
    ||||| controls appetite so it helps to control calorie intake,
    ||||| regardless of whether one is diabetic.
    |||||
    ||||| In news:[email hidden],
    ||||| [email hidden] <[email hidden]> stated
    |||||| Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day. Eat
    |||||| fewer calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food
    |||||| source,
    |||||| just as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should
    |||||| eat to their scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows
    |||||| an increase. We must divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie.
    |||||| diabetics etc., and those which have weight problems. The former
    |||||| are aided by carb moderated dietes because of glucose control,
    |||||| the latter must be concerned first and most of all with calorie
    |||||| intake and
    |||||| weight status regardless of food sources.

  9. <[email hidden]> wrote in message...

    <snipped here and there>

    Quoted message said:

    Atkins sets an upper level for carbs, around 100 g per day.

    Oh really? Could you tell me which page in the book that's on? I must have
    skipped that paragraph in the book. I read it three times, but don't seem
    to recall reading that anywhere in the book.

    Quoted message said:

    Eat fewer
    calories and maintain weight works regardless of macro food source, just
    as diabetics say eat to your meter, non-diabetics should eat to their
    scale by cutting back calories when the scale shows an increase.

    Guess what - it's easier (at least for me, in my not so humble experience)
    to control the level of calories you're taking in when you don't have huge
    sugar/insulin peaks and valleys. I used to drink at least two 2 liter
    bottles of Dr. Pepper a day - I just couldn't help it, I needed that "sugar
    fix" to get me back "up" when my blood sugar was down and I was feeling
    groggy/tired.

    When those peaks and valleys are gone and you don't "need a sugar fix" you
    can think about what you should be eating, and how much of it you should be
    eating, instead of craving/eating/drinking what you shouldn't be eating.

    Quoted message said:

    We must
    divide those whose metabolic disorders,ie. diabetics etc., and those which
    have weight problems. The former are aided by carb moderated dietes
    because of glucose control, the latter must be concerned first and most of
    all with calorie intake and weight status regardless of food sources.

    As one of the "latter", I was concerned with calorie intake - that's why I'm
    on Atkins. Weight? Weight doesn't matter to me - bodyfat percentage does.

    Would you like to be 5'10" and 260 lbs. ??? Most people wouldn't, but
    six-time Mr. Olympia Dorian Yates didn't mind. There's a big difference
    between people of the same weight and height, when one has a bodyfat % of
    30+, and the other has a bodyfat % under 4.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.