"John Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Had a good day walking yesterday...but wet!
Realise I don't have suitable kit...
So I'm interested in :-)
1. Decent pair of lightweight waterproof over trousers
2. Decent pair of walking trousers - Peter Storm Activity trousers have
been
Quoted message said:mentioned to me...they ok?...or are their better available?
3. Pair gaiters
4. Rucksack - medium size - must be waterproof to prevent repeat of
existing
Quoted message said:soggy mess.
Any recommendations?
I have a no-frills goretex jacket that never wets out or lets water in but
it rustles and is very cumbersome. I also have a Berghaus Paclite
jacket(with front zip because I couldnt face having to keep wrestling with
this) which seems to do the job. I have always thought for most UK weather
that ideal waterproofs would be ones with velcro on the sides that you could
just pull off and put on at will(particularly for those days when it rains
for ten minutes and then the sun comes out and so on). The Peter Storm
trousers are very cheap and very quick-drying - they outperform Rohan
trousers I have and didnt get ripped by barbed wire too!
I have some basic Lowe Alpine gaiters but they lost a popper quite early on.
I prefer wearing them to overtrousers if it isnt raining too hard,
especially as the Peter storm trousers quickly dry. I now have some more
rugged Outdoor designs ones that came free with my KSBs so will try them
out.
Ther arent many waterproof rucksacks and they tend to be very heavy given
the material used. I have a Vaude rucksack which has an integral rain
shield built into it and together with something waterproof inside to keep
stuff in, I've never had anything get wet.
Rob