Re: Remembrances (Ping: Damsel)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Felice Friese, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Carol, I was so touched by your posting

    >> They're not gone, they're just where we can't see them yet.

    that I had to search out this Henry Van Dyke piece for you:

    ****************************

    I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails
    to the ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her
    until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and
    sky come to mingle with each other.

    Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"

    "Gone where?"

    Gone from my sight. That is all.

    Her diminished size is in me not in her. And just at that moment when
    someone at my side say: "There, she is gone!" there are other eyes watching
    her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:

    "Here she comes!"

    And that is dying.

    ****************************

    Felice

    Tags:

  2. On Mon 02 Jan 2006 04:55:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Felice
    Friese?

    > Carol, I was so touched by your posting
    >
    >>> They're not gone, they're just where we can't see them yet.

    > that I had to search out this Henry Van Dyke piece for you:
    >
    > ****************************
    >
    > I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white
    > sails to the ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and
    > watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just
    > where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
    >
    > Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"
    >
    > "Gone where?"
    >
    > Gone from my sight. That is all.
    >
    > Her diminished size is in me not in her. And just at that moment when
    > someone at my side say: "There, she is gone!" there are other eyes
    > watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:
    >
    > "Here she comes!"
    >
    > And that is dying.

    Felice, I really like that. Thanks for finding and posting it.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. That is absolutely beautiful, Felice. Thank you.

    Carol