Re: Schlumpf shifting techniques

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by tholub, May 15, 2008.

  1. tholub

    tholub Guest

    Bruce Dawson wrote:
    > My favorite down-shifting technique is to slow down almost to a
    > standstill and then reach down, as my right knee goes down, and press
    > the shift button with my hand. I've practiced this in a gym a lot and
    > it works quite reliably there -- it's harder to get it right outside,
    > but it does work, and it feels kind of flashy and cool!

    That's pretty neat, I wondered if that was feasible.

    > I actually find myself avoiding shifting a lot of times. If I'm
    > starting on the flat or on a slight downhill then I'll happily start in
    > high gear. I just have a 29" wheel which makes that more practical. Or,
    > sometimes I'll ride up to a stop light, stop, shift down while I'm not
    > riding, take off with the traffic, and then shift up.

    Shifting is expensive. I think in terms of total elapsed time, for
    most short hills I'm probably better off trying to blast up in high
    gear, and losing some time once I run out of steam, rather than trying
    to downshift at the bottom and upshift at the top. Right now I always
    try to mount in low gear and upshift, and downshift before dismounting,
    just to get the practice, but I'm sure that in the race I'll just mount
    in high gear, assuming flat terrain. It's easier to mount in high gear
    than it is to shift.

    --
    tholub

  2. corbin

    corbin Guest

    Other things I forgot to mention:

    * The hub tends to shift when only under a light load; if you are
    putting a heavy load on the hub, it won't shift. You have to "let up" a
    little before it will shift.

    * When I shift, I "sometimes" stop rotating my feet (ie: let up
    completely), and let the gear kick in, and then continue rotating. This
    all happens *really* fast, but I realized it is something I started
    doing. At other times...I keep spinning, and the gear shifts at less
    predictable times.

    corbin

    --
    corbin

    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com

  3. David_Stone

    David_Stone Guest

    I've been riding on dirt/gravel bike paths lately, and shifting is much
    harder there. It has a lot to do with what you (Corbin) wrote about
    shifting under 'load,' I think, as well as the whole smoothness and
    balance issues. It doesn't help that I got new sneakers. I've always
    been much more successful shifting up rather than down, but my methods
    are different for both. I 'kick' my left foot inward at the right
    moment so that my heel hits the button on upshifting. I lean my right
    ankle in and pivot my foot so that my ankle bone area is hitting the
    button for downshifting. It's not painful.

    --
    David_Stone

    Dictator for Life,
    NYUC