rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: schwinn unicycle

Started by Wheel Rider · · Last activity · 8 posts · 352 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
10 January 2006
Last activity
11 June 2006
Original author
Wheel Rider
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
352
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought a new Schwinn unicycle almost 3 years so just because it is
    Schwinn does not mean it is old. Does yours have cottered cranks? That
    would make it old.

    For value, watch eBay. The Schwinn unicycles seem to sell fairly well
    but they don't sell for a lot. My non-educated opinion is there is not
    much collector's value for used Schwinn unicycles.

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  2. I think Schwinn made the switch to cotterless cranks somewhere right
    around 1980 or so. If it has a blue seat it's from 1986 - 1993. If the
    seat has plastic bumpers it's from 1986 or later.

    A cotterless crank set means there are no cotter pins holding the crank
    arms to the axle. If you have cotter pins (a peg with a nut on one
    end), your Schwinn is from the late 70s or earlier.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  3. They usually sell between $50 and $100 on EBAY.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  4. Schwinn is re-making their original unicycle. Looks nice:
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=60

    I learned on an old schwinn without seat bumpers. The new Schwinn seat
    looks nice. I wish they would stop calling it "one of the strongest
    unicycles ever" though.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    **Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
    (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*

    *><>* Screw in Lightbulbs for Christ **<><**
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    forrestunifreak's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  5. forrestunifreak said:

    I wish they would stop calling it "one of the strongest unicycles ever"
    though.

    The classic Schwinn frames took tons of abuse, so frame-wise, that's
    not necessarily an exaggeration. But along with that "strongest" frame
    you get the single bolt that holds it all together, and only 1"
    increments of seat post adjustment. I can't recommend that to anyone.

    Yes I too was amazed to see the new Schwinns with the "main cap" style
    bearing attachments. And it's not a Viscount seat either. Is that one
    of the many variants of the Velo? I don't think so, some other type.

    Other changes from the Schwinns many of us grew up with:

    - Alloy rim
    - 48 spokes
    - 2.3" tire (up from 1.75"😉
    - 150mm cranks (too long)
    - 9/16" pedals (that was probably updated in the 80s)

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  6. johnfoss said:

    I think Schwinn made the switch to cotterless cranks somewhere right
    around 1980 or so. If it has a blue seat it's from 1986 - 1993. If the
    seat has plastic bumpers it's from 1986 or later.

    dude your hardcore

    Chase

    --
    Unitik908

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
    R.I.P Unibiker
    R.I.P Gazzaloddi
    R.I.P Paul Hester
    R.I.P James Doohan
    R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
    R.I.P Peter Jennings
    R.I.P Pope John Paul II
    R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
    YAMS

    -last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unitik908's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8690
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  7. forrestunifreak said:

    Schwinn is re-making their original unicycle. Looks nice:
    http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=60

    Nice to see the old frame design is still around. Afterall, what is
    more traditional in Unicycleland than the old classic American Schwinn
    (now made in Taiwan 🙁 )

    --
    Wheel Rider

    A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
    blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

  8. i just ordered a torker dx, becasue i dont want to totally destroy my
    ancient schwinn. i inheireted from my dad, he bought it about 40 yrs
    ago and it has taken an absolute beating. it has the cottered cranks
    that i cut my ankles on quite frequently. its in really good condidtion
    though, considering its age

    --
    NordicUni420

    in lak'ech, i am another yourself.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NordicUni420's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12060
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/45949

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.