rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: So I Broke Another Seatpost

Started by unicyclistjoe · · Last activity · 29 posts · 675 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
11 October 2004
Last activity
12 December 2004
Original author
unicyclistjoe
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
675
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well...i did it again, but not in my usual fashion of breaking the bit
    where the bolts screw into in half, this time i carefully ripped the
    whole top off the seatpost...this will be the 3rd post ive done, and the
    2nd KH seatpost in 3 weeks...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: pa110001.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239450|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  2. and heres the other KH post...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: seatpost 2.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239451|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  3. I think you need to do something to improve your seat posts. Maybe when
    you buy it you should just go weld 2 diagonal bits of metal on from the
    edge of the bracket to the post on both side, might at least stop it
    from happening too quickly. But I really have no experience in this
    area, just a suggestion.

    --
    Robbie - Street Unicyclist

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/greeny23-900/dr_z.gif]
    Greeny23
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  4. yeah, an engineer friend of petes will hopefully be able to do that for
    me....hehe it was quite funny when it happened, i was doing an 'easy'
    hop of 40cm and then i jumped, the seat flipped off and almost took out
    some people...🙂

    --
    unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  5. Yeah Kh seats suck. I haven't broken mine as I've been using it for like
    a week. But SWAT has gone through a large number of seatposts, KH style
    and non. I'm getting tired of it so I'm gonna go to rails and a Thomson.
    Just have to hope the rails dont break.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Judge me by my size, do you?

    [image: http://img54.exs.cx/img54/4743/yodaweedresize.jpg]
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
    singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheObieOne3226's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4851
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  6. is that the newer aluminum version of the KH seat post?

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    ---------------------------------------------------
    -Forget_Your_Life-
    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/MMulitia.jpg]

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jagur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  7. Get one of Darren Bedford's rail conversion kits, then buy a Thomson mtn
    bike seat post........problem solved b/c you won't break a Thomson

    --
    zod - Southern Fried mUni

    *'KerryOnIraq.com' (http://media1.stream2you.com/rnc/RNC082304.wmv)*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  8. That's what happens when you make a stronger seat. The weakness in the
    system moves to a different area. It's a great quality seat, designed
    for high-level aggressive riding. Unfortunately the seat post is still
    in the "basic unicycling" cagegory; made to be cheap.

    Before people started jumping and hopping all the time, seat posts were
    never a problem Now we're putting a lot more stress on them. Adding
    longer handles to the front of the seat only makes it worse, as there is
    more leverage being applied to the post.

    Eventually, unicycle seats/posts will be designed around the post. It
    will be some sort of a T shape, with a handle at the front and bumper at
    the back, designed to take all the torque and repetition of long-term
    hopping and jumping. Then, the seat can be built a lot lighter (and
    hopefully simpler/cheaper), because it will only support your butt and
    not be used for all that other stuff.

    Your post broke from metal fatigue. Metal doesn't (usually) break from a
    single hard impact. These kinds of breaks develop over the course of
    hundreds, or more likely thousands, of pulls and drops. I used to tear a
    lot of Miyata seat posts. My more recent ones are customized to shore
    them up. They not only won't break, they help protect the seat from
    breaking.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  9. They dont make'em like they used to ....

    I had a simliar comment about planned obsolense, but I got to many 'KH'
    stuff isnt made faulty.
    (or similar comments)

    That is clearly a casted / moulded part.

    Maybe you guys should look at Schwinn Uni seatposts.
    I think they are still made better than those.
    (from those pics)

    My post is steel, with a welded seat bracket.

    No complaints that it's to heavy,,,, cuz,,, this is the second KH
    'seatpost broken' thread in a week.
    (mine has lasted 36 yrs,,, yes ,,, it has been pounded to concrete)

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  10. I'm making a modded seatpost with a triangle of metal welded to the
    seatpost and then welded to a plate that is attached by the bolts that
    hold the handle on. It should fix my seatpost problems, my seat
    problems, and make my seat stiffer than anything out there. EVEN A CF
    SEATBASE! (and it costs less)

    --
    Fuego - Ride to Ruin, and a Red Dawn!

    "Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
    balance."

    If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
    interesting shapes!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  11. Look for construction like this ...

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: seatpost.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239536|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  12. jagur said:

    *is that the newer aluminum version of the KH seat post? *

    Yes. Swat goes through like one of these a month now. They always break
    at the holes for mounting the seat or where the mounting plate (idk what
    to call it, the top part) is welded to the main piece of tubing. For
    some reason there is a taper there...basically a weak point designed in
    to it.

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album345/DSCF0034]

    zod said:

    *
    Get one of Darren Bedford's rail conversion kits, then buy a Thomson
    mtn bike seat post........problem solved b/c you won't break a
    Thomson*

    Unicycle.com also sells them, the cheapest of which is $22. Not really a
    kit. Just a bracket with rails on it. I'm getting a thomson, but I still
    have to worry about the adapter failing.

    digitaldave said:

    *
    Maybe you guys should look at Schwinn Uni seatposts.
    I think they are still made better than those.
    (from those pics)

    My post is steel, with a welded seat bracket.
    *

    Those are just as bad. They dont break quite as easily but they bend
    really easily if you use any length of post. Also they have a tendency
    to tear apart which can put you in a really bad place (as opposed to the
    Al ones which, in my experiences always break on impacts such as
    drops).

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album345/DSCF0035]

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album345/DSCF0036]

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Judge me by my size, do you?

    [image: http://img54.exs.cx/img54/4743/yodaweedresize.jpg]
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
    singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheObieOne3226's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4851
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  13. Ok ,,, I have to dissagree about bending these ...

    Heres a closeup.

    Maybe the schwinn post you had isnt constructed this way ...?

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: seatpostcloseup.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239544|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  14. See how thick the steel is ...?

    I've got to tell ya ... I have beat this post hard for 36 yrs.

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  15. The size of this post (Dia.) allowed me to slide another steel pipe over
    it too 😄

    If you really think your going to bend it ... :P

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: c100_0352.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239547|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  16. DigitalDave said:

    *See how thick the steel is ...?

    I've got to tell ya ... I have beat this post hard for 36 yrs. *

    Really? What kinds of hops and drops are you doing on it? What hardcore
    freestyle? I'm sorry but there comes a time when a post cannot take the
    abuse it is getting dealt. You haven't reached that point.

    Heres the seatposton my schwinn. Looks the same as yours about. I'd say
    the only reason it is intact is because I never ride it. Please excuse
    the crappy webcam nature of these pics.

    [image: http://img45.exs.cx/img45/3889/Picture1280.jpg]

    [image: http://img46.exs.cx/img46/4747/Picture1048.jpg]

    Also I'm not sure if that pipe thing is good for your frame. Idk maybe
    its just because it looks wierd to me. Heres mine...cept I use a quick
    release skewer.

    [image: http://img46.exs.cx/img46/3340/Picture1049.jpg]

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Judge me by my size, do you?

    [image: http://img54.exs.cx/img54/4743/yodaweedresize.jpg]
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
    singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheObieOne3226's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4851
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  17. You guys are comparing a 36-year old Schwinn seat post and a
    contemporary one. I haven't looked at a Schwinn post recently, but I
    would hazard to guess that they've made some changes to it, cutting down
    the cost of manufacture, and the strength.

    Those old Schwinn posts were definitely a lot more bombproof than most
    any unicycle post of today. I never had a problem with an old Schwinn
    seat post, except for the one I bent on my Giraffe. This was from
    learning to running-mount it into a one-foot idle, without ever touching
    it with the other foot. That put a *lot* of stress on the frame and
    post! But the post bent near the bottom, not at the top.

    My Wilder came with a Schwinn-style post and a KH saddle. That post bent
    after I made a bad landing on the seat after a bad jump. One bad hit
    bent the plate at the top. Surely it was the weakest part on my Wilder.
    I replaced it with a Kinport rail adapter and a Pyramid suspension post.
    No problems there until the suspension wore out after much abuse. I
    definitely got my money's worth there.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  18. TheObieOne3226 said:


    You haven't reached that point.

    MMM ,,, MAYBE YOUR RIGHT ... MAYBE ANOTHER 36 YRS ... 😄

    Looks the same as yours about.

    DEFINATEY NOT. YOURS LOOKS TO BE A CHROMED (SP?) ALLOY

    Also I'm not sure if that pipe thing is good for your frame.

    I MADE THAT WHEN I OUT-GREW IT. JUST A SEAT EXTENTION, AND IT FITS IN
    THE 'GROVE' OF THE FRAME BETTER THAN THE SEAT POST DID 😄
    (TIGHTER)

    I'm gonna get another photo for ya for reference ,,, gimme some time
    :thumbup;

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  19. Steel post thickness is 1/8"

    I'm not trying to argue anything here ...
    ... trying to be helpfull when selecting a post.

    Showing the 'girth' 😄

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: postthickness.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/239585|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

  20. ignore the cocoon in my post ...
    (I bet it's been there aloooooong time 🙂 )

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,742 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8132890)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35542

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.