Re: Swap parts from GT chromoly frame to aluminum??

In article
<eae07fa7-b78d-4365-a97c-68b3153b3fde@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
SCT Technology <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.bike-alog.com/BikePedia/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=GT
> &Model=LTS-4000&Type=bike

Leaving the suspension components out of the equation, and since you're
going from one MTB frame(set) to another, offhand the relevant specs
that come to mind are:

- seatpost diameter
- headset configuration, i.e., 1 or 1 1/8", integrated or traditional
- front derailleur requirements: going to another MTB frame the only
relevant spec is clamp size, i.e., seattube diameter
- possibly BB shell threading and width.

Am I missing anything?

SCT Technology wrote:
> On Jan 26, 3:16 pm, SCT Technology <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have a GT mountain bike (model: LTS 4000). It was purchased back in
>> 1998 and is still in great shape. However, it's got a heavy steel
>> chromoly frame and I would like to find an aluminum bike frame where I
>> could swap all the parts over. Is this possible?

> The link to this bike is:
> http://www.bike-alog.com/BikePedia/...x?Year=1998&Brand=GT&Model=LTS-4000&Type=bike

Sure. It's pretty easy. One thing to consider is that, if you can use
the extra parts, it may be economical to buy a complete bike and swap
parts around. I did this and got a frame upgrade for my MTB and a spare
"errand bike" in the process. Current aluminum frames are very cheap. If
you still have your original fork, you may find new forks to be much
nicer -- even the low cost ones.