General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: The Cholesterol Myth book

Started by Roger Zoul · · Last activity · 9 posts · 364 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 August 2004
Last activity
1 September 2004
Original author
Roger Zoul
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
364
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ignoramus26860 wrote:
    :: Has anyone read it? It seems to be very well researched and agrees
    :: with some studies that I read. I am curious if there is anyone else
    :: who could comment on that book.

    I've read it, though it has been a good while now. Frankly, it convinced me
    that diet has very little to do with blood cholesterol and to overly worry
    about cholesterol is probably the wrong thing to do. The author points out
    many examples of bad science, as i recall.

  2. On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:54:19 -0400, Roger Zoul <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Ignoramus26860 wrote:
    :: Has anyone read it? It seems to be very well researched and agrees
    :: with some studies that I read. I am curious if there is anyone else
    :: who could comment on that book.

    I've read it, though it has been a good while now. Frankly, it
    convinced me
    that diet has very little to do with blood cholesterol and to overly
    worry
    about cholesterol is probably the wrong thing to do. The author points
    out
    many examples of bad science, as i recall.

    I also want to buy this book. Is it on Amazon, or is there a different
    place to get it?

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  3. Bob in CT said:

    I also want to buy this book. Is it on Amazon, or is there a different
    place to get it?

    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/

    regards,
    Ben

  4. Ben said:
    Bob in CT said:

    I also want to buy this book. Is it on Amazon, or is there a
    different place to get it?

    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/

    More specifically:
    ( http://tinyurl.com/4x7be )
    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/The_Heart_Revolution-ISBN_0060929731.html?isrc=b-search

  5. Ben said:
    Bob in CT said:

    I also want to buy this book. Is it on Amazon, or is there a
    different place to get it?

    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/

    Actually more specifically (got it wrong initially since the book has an 's'
    at the end):
    ( http://tinyurl.com/5ujjr )
    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/The_Cholesterol_Myths-ISBN_0967089700.html?isrc=b-search

    There is also a hardback version which costs more.

  6. "Ignoramus26860" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When they say that diet does not lower cholesterol, they mean a low
    fat "heart friendly" diet.

    Low carb seems to actually be able to lower cholesterol, in some
    people, but it would na an anathema to the "diet-heart" proponents.

    I think one of the key point are trans fats. They seem to have the most
    dietary impact on blood cholesterol, far and beyond regular dietary
    cholesterol sources. Low fat has been industrialized so much that many low
    fat products are also full of hydrogenated oils. Actually, many diet
    "hyperprotidic" products are also loaded with trans fats. That might be one
    of the reasons why low fat is so bad at lowering blood cholesterol.

  7. I inherited my high cholesterol. My dad died at 58 and my mom at 62 from
    heart disease. I'm 65 now. I've tried for years to bring my cholesterol
    down by diet. At one time, I was existing almost solely on oatmeal (you can
    grind it for flour, bake with it, etc.) My cholesterol has come down 30
    points since I started LC. Duh! Cholesterol is caused by lipids. Carbs =
    Lipids. Not fat. Works for me.

    "Ben" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
    There is also a hardback version which costs more.

    Quoted message said:
  8. On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:58:11 +0200, Lictor <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Ignoramus26860" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When they say that diet does not lower cholesterol, they mean a low
    fat "heart friendly" diet.

    Low carb seems to actually be able to lower cholesterol, in some
    people, but it would na an anathema to the "diet-heart" proponents.

    I think one of the key point are trans fats. They seem to have the most
    dietary impact on blood cholesterol, far and beyond regular dietary
    cholesterol sources. Low fat has been industrialized so much that many
    low
    fat products are also full of hydrogenated oils. Actually, many diet
    "hyperprotidic" products are also loaded with trans fats. That might be
    one
    of the reasons why low fat is so bad at lowering blood cholesterol.

    Actually, my total cholesterol was lower on low fat than on low carb.
    However, low carb increased my HDL (something low fat never did, no matter
    how much exercise I got) and improved my total cholesterol/HDL ratio. My
    TC is still only in the 170s (up from low 150s).

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  9. Ben said:
    Ben said:
    Bob in CT said:

    I also want to buy this book. Is it on Amazon, or is there a
    different place to get it?

    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/

    Actually more specifically (got it wrong initially since the book has an
    's' at the end):
    ( http://tinyurl.com/5ujjr )
    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/The_Cholesterol_Myths-ISBN_0967089700.html?isrc=b-search

    There is also a hardback version which costs more.

    Thanks, Ben.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.