Re: The Great Don Quijote of RBM!

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:13:56 -0500, "Keats" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I haven't seen any talk from either party about education. Bush has
>> his "no child left behind" but I haven't seem anyone except him hyping
>> that. In addition, the only hype I've seen out of that is the
>> ill-designed concept of standardized testing. That just leads to
>> standardized education and teaching to the test. The fact that some
>> urban school systems are failing should not be used to penalize and
>> handicap suburban school systems that work - but that's the effect of
>> standardized testing.

>Why do I have the strong feeling that you belong to a teachers union?

The only logical answer to that question is "because you don't have a
clue".

FWIW, I'm none too fond of unions in general or the teachers union in
particular. More importantly, it's obvious that you haven't seen the
hands-on effect of what happens when the state starts dictating
universal tests. It leads directly to state dictated curriculum, a
horrible idea. It ruins good schools that were doing their job, and it
doesn't make any difference in the schools that weren't doing their
job.

>>>As Walter Williams said avoiding long-term poverty is not rocket science.
>>>Graduate from high school. Get married before you have children and stay
>>>married. Get a job and increase your skills. Don't be a criminal.
>>>Nothing
>>>too complicated there, eh? Find me a democrat saying these things and
>>>I'll
>>>show you a extraordinarily good democrat. But unfortunately this language
>>>isn't part of their talking points or of your own thoughts and speech.

>> You left out the part about "take a job, any job, at minimum wage"
>> (paraphrased) from your earlier post. That is a prescription for life
>> long poverty.
>>

>I didn't know that a kid taking a minimum wage job also got a prescription
>for life long poverty, but that could certainly explain why democrats and
>other liberals are so determined to perpetuate the minimum wage system.

Your quote doesn't apply that phrase to "kids".

"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:13:56 -0500, "Keats" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>> I haven't seen any talk from either party about education. Bush has
>>> his "no child left behind" but I haven't seem anyone except him hyping
>>> that. In addition, the only hype I've seen out of that is the
>>> ill-designed concept of standardized testing. That just leads to
>>> standardized education and teaching to the test. The fact that some
>>> urban school systems are failing should not be used to penalize and
>>> handicap suburban school systems that work - but that's the effect of
>>> standardized testing.

>>Why do I have the strong feeling that you belong to a teachers union?

> The only logical answer to that question is "because you don't have a
> clue".

The only clues I have are the ones you supply. And as far as logic goes I'm
not so sure you've got a clue.

> FWIW, I'm none too fond of unions in general or the teachers union in
> particular. More importantly, it's obvious that you haven't seen the
> hands-on effect of what happens when the state starts dictating
> universal tests. It leads directly to state dictated curriculum, a
> horrible idea. It ruins good schools that were doing their job, and it
> doesn't make any difference in the schools that weren't doing their
> job.

>>> You left out the part about "take a job, any job, at minimum wage"
>>> (paraphrased) from your earlier post. That is a prescription for life
>>> long poverty.
>>>

>>I didn't know that a kid taking a minimum wage job also got a prescription
>>for life long poverty, but that could certainly explain why democrats and
>>other liberals are so determined to perpetuate the minimum wage system.

> Your quote doesn't apply that phrase to "kids".

Ok, so the quote was all inclusive and did include kids, young people,
middle aged people, older people, seniors, black people, white people,
yellow people, red people, brown people, pink people, fit people, unfit
people, average people, below average people, above average
people.............I could go on and on with this but maybe, just maybe
you've managed to get the idea.

So how does that change anything?

Keats (as Dr. Phil might say - I'm stupefied by this guest)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:47:56 -0500, "Keats" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The only logical answer to that question is "because you don't have a
>> clue".

>The only clues I have are the ones you supply. And as far as logic goes I'm
>not so sure you've got a clue.

Nice attempt to dodge your erroneous assumption based on your
ideological bias.

>> Your quote doesn't apply that phrase to "kids".

>Ok, so the quote was all inclusive and did include kids, young people,
>middle aged people, older people, seniors, black people, white people,
>yellow people, red people, brown people, pink people, fit people, unfit
>people, average people, below average people, above average
>people.............I could go on and on with this but maybe, just maybe
>you've managed to get the idea.
>
>So how does that change anything?

Because taking a minimum wage job is a loser tactic guaranteed to
preserve your poverty, not change it.