Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: The probability of frame cracking?

Started by jtaylor · · Last activity · 56 posts · 1,486 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 June 2006
Last activity
28 June 2006
Original author
jtaylor
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,486
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dylan Smith said:

    Ten years ago, I bought a new road bike. Since then, I've moved from
    Houston where I bought it to the Isle of Man. The route I like doing
    goes from my house, up about 1000' of hill, and eventually back down the
    other side.

    It's normal tarmac road, but surfaced in that rather coarse road
    surface. The road itself ..erm.. 'undulates'. On the downhill sections I
    start going very fast. The typical quality of the road surface is such
    that I always marvel at how smooth the roads are in England whenever I
    take the car across. Already, I've removed the aerobars because they
    kept rattling loose (and I really don't use them any more - on the Texas
    Gulf coast it's as flat as a billiard table so I used them lots, but
    going up and down hills I've found little call for them). My tyres are
    inflated to 120psi. Although the road surface does cause vibration it's
    not horrible - I've not yet had a puncture in 4 years of riding here (I
    used to get punctures all the time in Houston) and since removing the
    aerobars, the bike itself doesn't rattle anywhere (well apart from a
    slight noise from the chain area when I'm not pedaling, I assume when
    not under tension from applying power it can vibrate a bit).

    However, I have nightmares about frame cracks from the roughness. The
    bike is a Trek 470 (about $600 worth when new in 1996). In particular, I
    have nightmares about the front forks letting go when coming down the
    hill. Am I just being paranoid? Any places that bike frames tend to
    crack most often?

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden. Checking
    regularly for cracks may allow you to forestall this, but you could still
    miss the one that matters.

    A steel frame may suit your psyche and rough roads better.

  2. jtaylor said:

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).

    No, the 1996 model was steel (and steel will crack too - my Dad crashed
    in the Isle of Man TT when the forks of his sidecar outfit broke due to
    a cracked weld - although an F2 racing sidecar goes through A LOT more
    punishment than a bicycle - his steel sidecar frames have to have cracks
    repaired pretty frequently).

    --
    Yes, the Reply-To email address is valid.
    Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute: http://oolite-linux.berlios.de

  3. jtaylor said:
    Dylan Smith said:

    Ten years ago, I bought a new road bike. Since then, I've moved from
    Houston where I bought it to the Isle of Man. The route I like doing
    goes from my house, up about 1000' of hill, and eventually back down the
    other side.

    It's normal tarmac road, but surfaced in that rather coarse road
    surface. The road itself ..erm.. 'undulates'. On the downhill sections I
    start going very fast. The typical quality of the road surface is such
    that I always marvel at how smooth the roads are in England whenever I
    take the car across. Already, I've removed the aerobars because they
    kept rattling loose (and I really don't use them any more - on the Texas
    Gulf coast it's as flat as a billiard table so I used them lots, but
    going up and down hills I've found little call for them). My tyres are
    inflated to 120psi. Although the road surface does cause vibration it's
    not horrible - I've not yet had a puncture in 4 years of riding here (I
    used to get punctures all the time in Houston) and since removing the
    aerobars, the bike itself doesn't rattle anywhere (well apart from a
    slight noise from the chain area when I'm not pedaling, I assume when
    not under tension from applying power it can vibrate a bit).

    However, I have nightmares about frame cracks from the roughness. The
    bike is a Trek 470 (about $600 worth when new in 1996). In particular, I
    have nightmares about the front forks letting go when coming down the
    hill. Am I just being paranoid? Any places that bike frames tend to
    crack most often?

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden.

    Where and how do you internet bicyclists come up with this stuff?

    Checking

    Quoted message said:

    regularly for cracks may allow you to forestall this, but you could still
    miss the one that matters.

    A steel frame may suit your psyche and rough roads better.

  4. in message <[email hidden]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>, jtaylor

    (') said:
    Quoted message said:

    However, I have nightmares about frame cracks from the roughness. The
    bike is a Trek 470 (about $600 worth when new in 1996). In particular,
    I have nightmares about the front forks letting go when coming down
    the hill. Am I just being paranoid? Any places that bike frames tend
    to crack most often?

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden. Checking
    regularly for cracks may allow you to forestall this, but you could
    still miss the one that matters.

    Have you, honestly, ever seen a cracked aluminium frame? I have, actually
    - one. As against at least a dozen cracked steel ones. The cracked
    aluminium frame successfully completed a cross country mountain bike
    race, despite the non-drive-side chain-stay being cracked through just
    behind the suspension pivot.

    Quoted message said:

    A steel frame may suit your psyche and rough roads better.

    But is at least as likely to crack.

    Just a reminder: in the only actual published comparative test (that I'm
    aware of) that's been done on this, the steel frames cracked and failed,
    the aluminium ones didn't. Now, I recognise there's been a fair bit of
    criticism of the test regime in that test, but no-one has come up with a
    better test regime and then carried out their own test. So the current
    score is Aluminium 1, Steel nil.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; If Python is executable pseudocode,
    ;; then Perl is executable line noise
    -- seen on Slashdot.

  5. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>, jtaylor

    (') said:
    Quoted message said:

    However, I have nightmares about frame cracks from the roughness. The
    bike is a Trek 470 (about $600 worth when new in 1996). In particular,
    I have nightmares about the front forks letting go when coming down
    the hill. Am I just being paranoid? Any places that bike frames tend
    to crack most often?

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden. Checking
    regularly for cracks may allow you to forestall this, but you could
    still miss the one that matters.

    Have you, honestly, ever seen a cracked aluminium frame? I have, actually
    - one. As against at least a dozen cracked steel ones. The cracked
    aluminium frame successfully completed a cross country mountain bike
    race, despite the non-drive-side chain-stay being cracked through just
    behind the suspension pivot.

    Quoted message said:

    A steel frame may suit your psyche and rough roads better.

    But is at least as likely to crack.

    That's not the issue.

    The issue is the nature of failure.

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>, jtaylor

    (') said:
    Quoted message said:

    However, I have nightmares about frame cracks from the roughness. The
    bike is a Trek 470 (about $600 worth when new in 1996). In particular,
    I have nightmares about the front forks letting go when coming down
    the hill. Am I just being paranoid? Any places that bike frames tend
    to crack most often?


    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden. Checking
    regularly for cracks may allow you to forestall this, but you could
    still miss the one that matters.

    Have you, honestly, ever seen a cracked aluminium frame? I have, actually
    - one. As against at least a dozen cracked steel ones. The cracked
    aluminium frame successfully completed a cross country mountain bike
    race, despite the non-drive-side chain-stay being cracked through just
    behind the suspension pivot.

    Add mine to the count. My aluminum Trek Fuel-80 developed a crack in the
    top tube right in front of the seatpost last summer. Fortunately it was
    covered and after nine long weeks Trek sent a carbon-fiber frame to
    replace it. Of course I still had to pay for dis-assembly and
    re-assembly, something they don't tell you when they're advertising the
    lifetime warranty. Don't ask, don't tell, I guess. Still, I have a
    carbon-fiber frame now, and it creaks no worse than the aluminum one did.

  7. jtaylor said:

    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Have you, honestly, ever seen a cracked aluminium frame? I have, actually
    - one. As against at least a dozen cracked steel ones. The cracked
    aluminium frame successfully completed a cross country mountain bike
    race, despite the non-drive-side chain-stay being cracked through just
    behind the suspension pivot.

    Quoted message said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    That hasn't been my experience. I've had two cracks in steel bicycles
    and neither one gave significant warning. One was pretty harmless
    since it was in a rear stay and the only result was that the tire
    pulled over and rubbed against the frame. However, the other one was a
    crack and complete separation of the steerer tube resulting in loss of
    the front wheel & fork while I was riding. It caused an immediate
    crash and considerable injury.

    Both bikes were repaired and are still in use, but my main bike now is
    an aluminum-framed one that is approaching the 100k mile mark with no
    problems to date.

  8. in message <[email hidden]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>, jtaylor

    (') said:


    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,

    jtaylor (') said:

    > However, I have nightmares about frame cracks from the roughness.
    > The bike is a Trek 470 (about $600 worth when new in 1996). In
    > particular, I have nightmares about the front forks letting go when
    > coming down the hill. Am I just being paranoid? Any places that
    > bike frames tend to crack most often?

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is
    correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden. Checking
    regularly for cracks may allow you to forestall this, but you could
    still miss the one that matters.

    Have you, honestly, ever seen a cracked aluminium frame? I have,
    actually - one. As against at least a dozen cracked steel ones. The
    cracked aluminium frame successfully completed a cross country
    mountain bike race, despite the non-drive-side chain-stay being
    cracked through just behind the suspension pivot.

    Quoted message said:

    A steel frame may suit your psyche and rough roads better.

    But is at least as likely to crack.

    That's not the issue.

    The issue is the nature of failure.

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that
    the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider
    of an aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off
    for quite another reason.

    I say again: have you, personally, any direct experience of this? As I
    have said, the /only/ aluminium bike I have known to have cracked
    remained not merely rideable but raceable after the crack. Can you
    actually point to any documented incident - anywhere, ever - of an
    aluminium frame just letting go suddenly, or are you merely recycling
    disinformation and old wives' tales?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; I can't work yanks out......
    ;; Why do they frown upon sex yet relish violence?
    ;; Deep Fried Lettuce

  9. jtaylor said:

    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A steel frame may suit your psyche and rough roads better.

    But is at least as likely to crack.

    That's not the issue.

    The issue is the nature of failure.

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    I broke a couple of Al frames, and neither failed catestrophically.
    One did not fail at all, since I found the crack while doing my
    semi-annual clean-a-thon. The other bike/frame started squirming in a
    climb, and I stopped to find that the down tube was cracked through
    about half of its circumference. These were relatively old school
    Cannondale frames, but probably pretty characteristic of today's low
    and mid-priced aluminum frames. I know nothing about the failure mode
    of the uber-lite Al frames -- or the uber-lite steel frames for that
    matter. I would like to know whether the modern light weight steel
    tubes retain all those characteristics which we so fondly attribute to
    531, SL, SP, etc. like slow crack propagation and fixability. -- Jay
    Beattie.

  10. Simon Brooke said:

    So the current score is Aluminium 1, Steel nil.

    Only frame I've had that cracked was aluminium. The chainstay went at the
    bridge. It took about a week from noticing a strange clicking sound when sat
    in the saddle, to finding the tube had sheared right through on its Sunday
    clean up.

    But this is all just anecdote.


  11. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So the current score is Aluminium 1, Steel nil.

    Ti 1. The drive side chainstay on my Lemond cracked all
    the way through at the BB shell last weekend. It was
    still ridable if you were very, very careful.

    Most frame failures aren't catastrophic in a way that dumps
    you onto the pavement. So far I've had (in steel) a BB shell
    crack, two head tube/lugs crack, and a downtube crack
    at the water bottle boss. In Ti the chainstay has cracked.
    All were still sort of rideable, though the handling could be
    snakey. The classic frame layout has quite a bit of redundancy
    for tube failure.

    The big danger is a fork or handlebar/stem failure. I had
    an Al fork steerer tube snap. Luckily that was at low
    speed and I managed to get it stopped without a
    crash. It was a walk and a taxi ride home, though.


  12. Quoted message said:

    Ti 1. The drive side chainstay on my Lemond cracked all
    the way through at the BB shell last weekend.

    BTW, does anyone know when the new Lemond carbon fiber
    bikes will actually hit the stores? If, as expected, I get a warranty
    credit on this I might just buy a new carbon fiber bike, seeing
    as how they don't make the Ti frame any more.

  13. jtaylor said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    A friend of mine had a steel MTB frame fail suddenly with a sheared top
    and down tube while dropping off a ledge at Moab at speed. You can
    imagine the result. The frame was from a builder well known for pushing
    the limits of steel.

    Here's another example of a steel frame failing with no warning:
    http://www.fischer-wade.net/steelisreal.htm

    My personal experience is three broken steel frames and no broken
    aluminum frames even though I've been racing road, cross and MTB on
    Easton aluminum for the last six years.

    Bret

  14. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    jtaylor said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    A friend of mine had a steel MTB frame fail suddenly with a sheared top
    and down tube while dropping off a ledge at Moab at speed. You can
    imagine the result. The frame was from a builder well known for pushing
    the limits of steel.

    Here's another example of a steel frame failing with no warning:
    http://www.fischer-wade.net/steelisreal.htm

    I vigorously contest the assertion that it failed without
    warning.

    The widespread corrosion is a dire warning.

    There are cracks/tears on the down tube-head tube lug that
    are dire warnings. These cracks and tears show corrosion
    that would have been easily visible before the failure.

    The amount of corrosion and cracks would have made the
    handling of the bicycle very loose. This is a dire
    warning.

    I have seldom seen a JRA account so utterly without merit.
    Case dismissed. Plaintiff to pay costs.

    Quoted message said:


    My personal experience is three broken steel frames and no broken
    aluminum frames even though I've been racing road, cross and MTB on
    Easton aluminum for the last six years.

    Bret

    --
    Michael Press

  15. Quoted message said:
    jtaylor said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    A friend of mine had a steel MTB frame fail suddenly with a sheared top
    and down tube while dropping off a ledge at Moab at speed. You can
    imagine the result. The frame was from a builder well known for pushing
    the limits of steel.

    Here's another example of a steel frame failing with no warning:
    http://www.fischer-wade.net/steelisreal.htm

    My personal experience is three broken steel frames and no broken
    aluminum frames even though I've been racing road, cross and MTB on
    Easton aluminum for the last six years.

    The way the lugs are peeled away from the tube, and
    top tube miter is visible - that is the top tube doesn't
    look broken, but separated from the head tube - suggest
    bad joints to me.

    I don't have much experience with frame failures (cross
    fingers) but it seems likely to me that most frame failures
    start with a crack somewhere, and unless they get suddenly
    worse due to an impact, the frame failure is generally not
    catastrophic. This can happen with both steel and
    aluminum (I think jtaylor is wrong there).
    Breaking a chainstay or cracking the downtube doesn't
    have to mean faceplant, unless you are dropping
    off a ledge.

    However, _fork_ failures do generally mean the rider gets
    off the hard way. This is why, I think, forks usually have a
    bigger safety margin than frames.

  16. jtaylor said:

    The Trek 470 is an aluminium-framed bicycle (if my reading is correct).
    When it fails (not if) the failure is likely to be sudden.

    No, it won't. Cracks will be obvious -- by the noise if nothing else --
    well before it completely comes from together. I found the crack in my
    aluminum frame by trying to chase down an annoying sound.

    You (OP) seem to be getting your $600 worth from this bike. Ride it, and
    enjoy it, unless and until it dies, then get another bike. Maybe not
    aluminum, but that is up to you.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
    _`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
    (_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
    Glenn Davies

  17. Ernst Blofeld said:

    I had
    an Al fork steerer tube snap. Luckily that was at low
    speed and I managed to get it stopped without a
    crash. It was a walk and a taxi ride home, though.

    Where did the tube break? Top or bottom, or somewhere else? Thanks!

  18. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    jtaylor said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    A friend of mine had a steel MTB frame fail suddenly with a sheared top
    and down tube while dropping off a ledge at Moab at speed. You can
    imagine the result. The frame was from a builder well known for pushing
    the limits of steel.

    Here's another example of a steel frame failing with no warning:
    http://www.fischer-wade.net/steelisreal.htm

    I vigorously contest the assertion that it failed without
    warning.

    The widespread corrosion is a dire warning.

    There are cracks/tears on the down tube-head tube lug that
    are dire warnings. These cracks and tears show corrosion
    that would have been easily visible before the failure.

    The amount of corrosion and cracks would have made the
    handling of the bicycle very loose. This is a dire
    warning.

    I have seldom seen a JRA account so utterly without merit.
    Case dismissed. Plaintiff to pay costs.

    The frame failed over ten years ago. The corrosion came later. The
    picture is recent. Since both the top and down tubes seperated from the
    lugs, I've alway assumed that it failed because of very poor braising.
    This is not typical of steel frames, but it's possible as this frame
    shows.

    Bret

  19. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    jtaylor said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    A friend of mine had a steel MTB frame fail suddenly with a sheared top
    and down tube while dropping off a ledge at Moab at speed. You can
    imagine the result. The frame was from a builder well known for pushing
    the limits of steel.

    Here's another example of a steel frame failing with no warning:
    http://www.fischer-wade.net/steelisreal.htm

    My personal experience is three broken steel frames and no broken
    aluminum frames even though I've been racing road, cross and MTB on
    Easton aluminum for the last six years.

    The way the lugs are peeled away from the tube, and
    top tube miter is visible - that is the top tube doesn't
    look broken, but separated from the head tube - suggest
    bad joints to me.

    Me, too. Both joints look really dry -- although the lower lug looks
    ripped up, like the bike had a big wall impact. There is a lot of
    corrosion, too, which may or may not have been apparent before the
    crash. In any event, all that corrosion adds fuel to the arguments
    made by the non-ferrous folks.

    Quoted message said:

    However, _fork_ failures do generally mean the rider gets
    off the hard way. This is why, I think, forks usually have a
    bigger safety margin than frames.

    IME, most JRA fork failires result from improper joinery. CF that is
    not glued propery, poor brazing/wedling on steel or aluminum. I had a
    friend who bought a one-off tandem made by a very well known builder,
    and the fork blades were tacked in but never finished-off. They fell
    apart on a big downhill in the Bay Area. Major carnage for my friend
    and his girlfriend. -- Jay Beattie..

  20. Quoted message said:
    jtaylor said:

    Steel frames give warning - the cracks usually grow slowly enough that the
    rider gets off and looks to see why his bike feels rubbery. The rider of an
    aluminium-framed bicycle that cracks can find himself getting off for quite
    another reason.

    A friend of mine had a steel MTB frame fail suddenly with a sheared top
    and down tube while dropping off a ledge at Moab at speed. You can
    imagine the result. The frame was from a builder well known for pushing
    the limits of steel.

    Here's another example of a steel frame failing with no warning:
    http://www.fischer-wade.net/steelisreal.htm

    My personal experience is three broken steel frames and no broken
    aluminum frames even though I've been racing road, cross and MTB on
    Easton aluminum for the last six years.

    The only steel frame I've broken was a 1986 Bridgestone MB-1. It was a
    common failure with the downtube breaking close to the headtube lug.
    The break was sudden and without warning, and thankfully riding gingerly
    the top tube held up on the 7.5 mile ride back to the truck. It had
    failed on a 15 mile winter out-and-back night ride right at the
    turnaround point.

    Other than that I've owned 6 steel mtn bike frames, one of which I still
    have (a 13 year old Bontrager), broken all 3 aluminum hardtails and the
    one carbon fiber hardtail I've owned. I don't keep my aluminum full
    suspension bikes long enough to see when they're going to break.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.