Re: unsatisfactory driver in Batavia.

Bob

Guest
On Jul 20, 6:57 am, "gotbent" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

> Is it time for Bob Hunt to reread the ROR?

I'm quite familiar with Illinois traffic law, thanks. Perhaps though
you should re-read my posts in this thread. Your complaint of a poor
riding surface is true on some stretches but that has nothing to do
with traffic laws and little to do with what I wrote. What I wrote was
that the FRT can be ridden on darned near any bike without any
problems if the rider simply exercises common sense and keeps the
speed down. It certainly doesn't require suspension and fat tires.
What got Tom Sherman's panties in a bunch was my opinion that one type
of bike that shouldn't be on that trail is a trike because they take
up too much of the path. He was quick to jump on that and point out
that a normal recumbent trike is barely wider than most MTB
handlebars. I guess then the problems I've encountered weren't the
fault of those trikes but of their riders' ability or just
inconsiderate attitudes. In fairness, those problems are rather
infrequent just because trikes are all that popular. My comment was
merely an aside. I'm not losing any sleep over it.
BTW, the FRT does not begin and end in Batavia. I've ridden its entire
length from Batavia to East Dundee and back more times than I can
count. I prefer to ride on the road but that's my wife's favorite
trail so what can I do?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob Hunt wrote:
> On Jul 20, 6:57 am, "gotbent" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
>> Is it time for Bob Hunt to reread the ROR?

> I'm quite familiar with Illinois traffic law, thanks. Perhaps though
> you should re-read my posts in this thread. Your complaint of a poor
> riding surface is true on some stretches but that has nothing to do
> with traffic laws and little to do with what I wrote. What I wrote was
> that the FRT can be ridden on darned near any bike without any
> problems if the rider simply exercises common sense and keeps the
> speed down.

The goose **** can be a hazard for two-wheelers, particularly after it
rains.

The Route 25 crossing in St. Charles always bothered me, since the sight
lines are not that long and the motor vehicle traffic is often moving
about 40-mph.

> It certainly doesn't require suspension and fat tires.

But said items are of benefit to comfort and safety on the poorer
sections of the FRT.

> What got Tom Sherman's panties in a bunch was my opinion that one type
> of bike that shouldn't be on that trail is a trike because they take
> up too much of the path. He was quick to jump on that and point out
> that a normal recumbent trike is barely wider than most MTB
> handlebars. I guess then the problems I've encountered weren't the
> fault of those trikes but of their riders' ability or just
> inconsiderate attitudes. In fairness, those problems are rather
> infrequent just because trikes are all that popular. My comment was
> merely an aside. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

There are many inconsiderate users who take more than their share of
trail width that are NOT on recumbent trikes. If the trail is not wide
enough to accommodate a recumbent trike, then it is not safe to ride on
a bicycle at anything above pedestrian speed.

> BTW, the FRT does not begin and end in Batavia. I've ridden its entire
> length from Batavia to East Dundee and back more times than I can
> count....

I thought the FRT went from Aurora to Crystal Lake?

On 2007-07-23, Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought the FRT went from Aurora to Crystal Lake?

Oswego to Genoa City, WI now, if you include the McHenry County Prairie Trail
(which I do, since it's a seamless transition at the county line).

They're trying to bridge that last gap in downtown Aurora, between Galena
Blvd and the Virgil Gilman Trail, but it's not a done deal last I heard.

A local brewery/restaurant is sponsoring a ride from East Dundee to Oswego
on the trail on the 29th. 32 miles end-to-end, but I'm not sure how they're
going to advise folks to navigate Aurora. I might ride for the free beer at
the Oswego end of the ride, but then I have to figure out how to get back
home (closer to the Dundee end of the trail). I guess more riding :)

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The Route 25 crossing in St. Charles always bothered me, since the sight
> lines are not that long and the motor vehicle traffic is often moving
> about 40-mph.

I live two streets up from the southern of those two crossings. Hate 'em.
I enter via the Division St. park driveway.

..max

On Jul 23, 3:04 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought the FRT went from Aurora to Crystal Lake?

North of East Dundee it becomes the Prairie Trail. I don't know what
it is called south of Batavia.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

On Jul 26, 12:53 am, Bob Hunt wrote:
> On Jul 23, 3:04 am, "Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> > I thought the FRT went from Aurora to Crystal Lake?

> North of East Dundee it becomes the Prairie Trail. I don't know what
> it is called south of Batavia.

Here is the official FVPD map:
<http://www.foxvalleyparkdistrict.org/parks_trails/trailmaps/
foxrivertrail.html>.

I apologize if the URL does not wrap, but since my News feed is down,
I have to resort to Gurgle Gropes [1] to post.

[1] A gdanielsism for Google Groups [2].
[2] The current version is inferior to its predecessor in every way I
can think of, including breaking URL's.