rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: Veering to the left

Started by joefish · · Last activity · 19 posts · 659 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
31 January 2005
Last activity
1 February 2005
Original author
joefish
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
659
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been riding a unicycle for a couple of weeks now (24"😉. The problem
    I'm having lately though, is that I seem to veer to the left when
    riding, and to keep my balance, I have to actively 'struggle' to the
    right to keep it straight.

    At first I just thought I had bad style, but when riding another 24" uni
    in the weekend, I had no such problem. Yes, I've checked my seat is
    straight... any ideas?

    --
    joefish
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joefish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9194
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  2. is your seat high enough?

    --
    ParadoX - Hopping Maniac/Computer Hacker

    -"There is nothing to fear but fear its self."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ParadoX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8015
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  3. Yes

    --
    joefish
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joefish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9194
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  4. Is the tire a slick or knobby? Some tires just don't track very well,
    so you might want to look into that. My 26er came with a cheap knobby
    and I had a really hard time riding straight. You may also want to
    check that the tire is seated correctly on the rim.

    If you think it's more you then your unicycle that's causing it, try
    riding while holding the back of the saddle. This will help you learn
    to ride straight with out using your arms.

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  5. The tyre I have is a fairly slick one, and it does appear to be sitting
    on the rim ok.

    --
    joefish
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    joefish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9194
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  6. I dont know if you could have done this but maybe. If the cranks dont
    aline correctly on the hub or the flange is bent it can do that to you.
    Both of those happend to me and it was a quite strong lean.

    --
    Tim - Jelly Bean Eater

    Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)|| ||Do you read
    my posts in RSU?

    Main man, smain man.

    I can not stand ChangingLINKS.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  7. I had one where the wheel wasn't straight in the frame that had a very
    similar effect.

    --
    Seager - that one guy who does that stuff

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  8. could be your legs aren't the same length
    don't laugh
    could be that u're left handed and as a result your left leg is slightly
    stronger
    if your peft foot is pedalling slightly 'stronger' than the right, u
    will veer left
    might be that u're right handed and u're overcompensating

    check all the mechanicals and if that's all fine, it might just be that
    your technique needs a bit of fine-tuning
    the best way to achieve this is thru practise

    i find that if i haven't been on the uni for a while, i still tend to
    veer to the right for a while before i get it straightened out

    --
    GILD - Waffle-[censored] and Time-bider

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
    Mauldin
    ...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
    christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
    it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
    the internet
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GILD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/657
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  9. I used to do that (one of my friends thought it was hilari - uh,
    interesting, -that's- what he said, interesting, :o that I rode twisted
    like I was always turning), with more pratice it seems to have
    stopped.

    I'm right handed but my chocolate foot is the left.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  10. when i was learning i had that problem. low tire pressure made it worse.
    i evenetually figured out how to ride straight. i think it had something
    to do with different strength legs. or being slightl better coordinated
    in one leg and making that leg do more of the work. so, practice and
    check your tire pressure.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  11. Since you spelled tire wrong I assume you're from a part of the world
    where you also drive on the wrong side of the street. If you ride on the
    left the crown on the road would tend to make you veer to the left.

    --
    harper - Riding a Fat

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "People who quote themselves are lame." - David Lowell

    "I think I just broke my leg." - Greg Harper, 10/9/2004

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  12. Who says we spell tyre wrong?😉

    I sometimes have the same problem on a pavement near my house. It has a
    very steep camber, and the unicycle always wants to work down the slope.

    It can help if you make sure that your tyre is well inflated, a softer
    tyre seems to make the problem worse for me. It could be worth just
    trying a bit more air.

    Innes

    --
    innes - Unicyclist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    innes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9123
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  13. You say you rode another unicycle and it tracked nice and straight. This
    suggests there is something different about yours. You could try riding
    yours backwards (it facing backwards, not you). You should be able to
    tell fairly quick if it's going straight or not.

    a - If it goes straight, the problem is probably not with the hardware
    b - If it tracks to the left, the problem would appear to be with the
    rider, not the hardware
    c - If it tracks to the right, there still may be something out of
    alignment in the unicycle.

    But tracking to one side or the other is usually associated with being a
    new rider, so don't get too paranoid about the hardware. As Harper
    mentioned, if you're riding on the left side of the street all the time,
    remember the crown of the street will push you to the left. Try riding
    on the opposite side if that's what you have been doing.

    On the hardware side, check that the top of your wheel is centered
    between the forks. There are other ways things can be out of line, but
    after a crooked seat, this is usually the next most common one. Also if
    your tire has any sort of center ridge, this could cause the problem.
    Center ridges are better for bikes.

    Lastly, keep practicing. It may indeed just be a technique thing.

    --
    johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/) -- 'USA Rulebook'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  14. johnfoss said:

    *Also if your tire has any sort of center ridge, this could cause the
    problem. Center ridges are better for bikes.
    *

    My Pashley Muni came with a centre ridged tyre, and it was really hard
    to keep in a straight line. When I changed it to a normal Mountain Bike
    tyre, I got on much better.

    Do you have a road that is quiet enough to unicycle down the middle?
    This will stop the road camber being a problem.

    Innes

    --
    innes - Unicyclist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    innes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9123
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  15. joefish said:

    *I've been riding a unicycle for a couple of weeks now (24"😉. The
    problem I'm having lately though, is that I seem to veer to the left
    when riding, and to keep my balance, I have to actively 'struggle' to
    the right to keep it straight.

    At first I just thought I had bad style, but when riding another 24"
    uni in the weekend, I had no such problem. Yes, I've checked my seat
    is straight... any ideas? *

    As you can see, this is a fairly common problem. Just keep riding. Your
    technique will get better and the problem will go away. I had this
    problem for several weeks when I first started riding.

    --
    mucRider - Old Unicycling Newbie

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary
    and those who don't.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  16. chances are it'll go away by itself. but you should check to see if your
    seat is straight, if it's crooked then that can make you swerve.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  17. innes said:

    *Who says we spell tyre wrong?😉

    I sometimes have the same problem on a pavement near my house. It has
    a very steep camber, and the unicycle always wants to work down the
    slope.

    Innes *

    Someone recently told me to turn your foot inward on the pedal towards
    the peak. So if the peak is on your left, turn your right foot in a
    little. It helps compensate i think. I tried it and I guess it worked,
    but I would like to hear if it works for anyone else.

    --
    shibumi - On a Uni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    shibumi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8816
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  18. I used to have the same problem. Part of the solution that I found to
    have the greatest impact was to have higher pressure on crowned
    surfaces. The other thing that helped a little was learning to ride 1
    footed - but the air pressure mattered the most.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Wishing you Happiness, Joy and Laughter,
    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

  19. I agree to keep riding. I used to ride funny and the only way I could
    go straight was if I kefp my body twisted to the side all the time. I
    tried twisting the seat the other way and everything. But it went away
    the more I rode. I did briefly try a cheap knobby and the profile was
    so bad that it kept veering to the side. And that was after I had
    oversome the first problem of riding crooked. Just ride. It'll go
    away.

    --
    Sigurd - Aspiring street/trials unicyclist.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sigurd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/37943

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.