Re: What odd people

Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman

Guest
Chalo Colina wrote:
> Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman wrote:
>> the downtown area has numerous "transportation" cyclists, sensibly
>> dressed on sensible bikes.

> Unlike yourself, of course. ;^)

Hey, I know someone who uses an Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [1] to get
groceries!

Unlike many cyclists, I DO NOT pay to wear advertising.

I am one of those people who got caught in the work location change
situation, so I drive 300+ miles per week. :(

[1] The most Fun Bicycle in the Known Universe [TM].

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

[newsgroups trimmed]

"Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote
> Chalo Colina wrote:
>> Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman wrote:
>>> the downtown area has numerous "transportation" cyclists, sensibly
>>> dressed on sensible bikes.

>> Unlike yourself, of course. ;^)

> Hey, I know someone who uses an Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer
> [1] to get groceries!

Sensible is as sensible does. Wife to me, after a recent stop at the
grocery store, "How did you get that loaded on your bike?!"
My BikeE is more sensibly equipped for grocery runs, but the
Tour Easy does a pretty good job, even ad hoc. With advanced
planning it could be a good grocery store bike. Bucket panniers,
for instance, would work very well.

> Unlike many cyclists, I DO NOT pay to wear advertising.

Ah, so now you broadcast it,-- you're not a Serious(TM) Cyclist! %^)
Ne meither. %^P

> I am one of those people who got caught in the work location change
> situation, so I drive 300+ miles per week. :(

350 here. And tolls just increased 25%. %^( Job closer to home
would be nice, but not likely in this market. Moving is not a viable
option for other reasons.

Jon

On Oct 1, 8:04 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Chalo Colina wrote:
> > Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman wrote:
> >> the downtown area has numerous "transportation" cyclists, sensibly
> >> dressed on sensible bikes.

> > Unlike yourself, of course. ;^)

> Hey, I know someone who uses an Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [1] to get
> groceries!
>
> Unlike many cyclists, I DO NOT pay to wear advertising.
>
> I am one of those people who got caught in the work location change
> situation, so I drive 300+ miles per week. :(
>
> [1] The most Fun Bicycle in the Known Universe [TM].
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia

And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
"not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob wrote:

> As for
> "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
> wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
> case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a figure
skating fan.

Chalo

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:11:35 -0700, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
>a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
>"not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
>case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very heavily.
This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone else's
business interests is abject idiocy.

Ron

In rec.bicycles.misc Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>>
>> As for "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>> wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the case
>> of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a figure
> skating fan.

Now now, don't be catty, I'm sure Bob would look *Fabulous* in this
outfit. Very nicely modeled by the U.S. men's skate champion Johnny
Weir.

http://deadspin.com/sports/olympics/let-the-games-and-the-fussing-begin-153425.php

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye."

On Oct 3, 1:26 am, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
> > As for
> > "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
> > wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
> > case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a figure
> skating fan.
>
> Chalo

Teeheehee!

/s

On Oct 3, 9:52 am, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Bob wrote:

> >> As for "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
> >> wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the case
> >> of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> > If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a figure
> > skating fan.

> Now now, don't be catty, I'm sure Bob would look *Fabulous* in this
> outfit. Very nicely modeled by the U.S. men's skate champion Johnny
> Weir.
>
> http://deadspin.com/sports/olympics/let-the-games-and-the-fussing-beg...

Or this: http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/30/4530/gal2609/29.php

You know, it is not like wearing a jacket from your favorite hockey
team. These poseurs are out in the full team kit (down to the
socks). If I saw a guy walking down the street in a full hockey/
football/baseball outfit with pads, pants, guards, etc., I would think
he was a player or a dork poseur. Since I know the bicyclists that I
pass in full world colors/Discovery etc. are not real champions, I
conclude they are just dorks.

I was riding through the hills on my way home a few months back and
rode by a guy in a full Francaise Des Jeux outfit (white, revealing)
with a gut. I mean really, people don't get embarrassed anymore? That
outfit positively screamed dork. Now, with that said, I wear team
stuff -- from funky little local teams I raced for, or more recently,
successor teams that have taken me in as a mascot (you know, old guy
who tells stories about the glory days). It also gets their clothing
order up which lowers the price to everyone -- so it is sort of a
public service. -- Jay Beattie.

Dane Buson wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>>
>>> As for "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I
>>> know that wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the
>>> jersey or, in the case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad
>>> about either?

>> If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a
>> figure skating fan.

> Now now, don't be catty, I'm sure Bob would look *Fabulous* in this
> outfit. Very nicely modeled by the U.S. men's skate champion Johnny
> Weir.
>
> http://deadspin.com/sports/olympics/let-the-games-and-the-fussing-begin-153425.php

Or,
http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/blades-of-glory.jpg

[email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:11:35 -0700, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
>> a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
>> "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>> wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
>> case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
> advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very heavily.
> This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone else's
> business interests is abject idiocy.
>
> Ron

Recently, I put a huge basket on the front of my bike. I've been
thinking about making up some tin signs for the front and sides saying,
"This Space for Rent."

Let them pay *me* to advertise. I can put one on the back, too if they
sweeten the deal a little.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:11:35 -0700, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
>>a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
>>"not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>>wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
>>case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
> advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very
> heavily.
> This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone else's
> business interests is abject idiocy.
>
> Ron

Did you remember to tell the car dealer that you bought your last car from
to remove their sticker from the car before you took delivery?

"gotbent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:11:35 -0700, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
>>>a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
>>>"not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>>>wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
>>>case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

>> Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
>> advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very
>> heavily.
>> This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone
>> else's
>> business interests is abject idiocy.
>>
>> Ron

> Did you remember to tell the car dealer that you bought your last car from
> to remove their sticker from the car before you took delivery?

Nope; they didn't put a sticker on. But once I did not buy a car from a
dealer because they would not sell one without their badge riveted to the
car.
Kerry

[email protected] wrote:
> Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
> advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very heavily.
> This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone else's
> business interests is abject idiocy.

Yet Harley Davidson gets a healthy premium for their logo on clothing.
As do others.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

In article
<[email protected]>,
Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 9:52 am, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a figure
> > > skating fan.

> > Now now, don't be catty, I'm sure Bob would look *Fabulous* in this
> > outfit. Very nicely modeled by the U.S. men's skate champion Johnny
> > Weir.
> >
> > http://deadspin.com/sports/olympics/let-the-games-and-the-fussing-beg...

> Or this: http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/30/4530/gal2609/29.php

Mercy. This is why I like movies. Because eventually they
get it right, so right that it brings tears to my eyes.

--
Michael Press

Dane Buson wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>> As for "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>>> wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the case
>>> of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

>> If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a figure
>> skating fan.

> Now now, don't be catty, I'm sure Bob would look *Fabulous* in this
> outfit. Very nicely modeled by the U.S. men's skate champion Johnny
> Weir.
>
> http://deadspin.com/sports/olympics/let-the-games-and-the-fussing-begin-153425.php

Officer Bob would get kicked off the force if he wore that!

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Andrew Muzi mused:
>> Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
>>> a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
>>> "not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
>>> wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
>>> case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
>> advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very
>> heavily.
>> This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone
>> else's
>> business interests is abject idiocy.

> Yet Harley Davidson gets a healthy premium for their logo on clothing.
> As do others.

Harley-Davidson is a religion where I live, and not to be criticized
(OK, maybe the AMF era excepted).

On Oct 3, 9:10 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:11:35 -0700, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
> >And I know a guy that has hauled 2x4 studs and drywall on the roof of
> >a Porsche 911. That doesn't make it a sensible thing to do. As for
> >"not paying to wear advertisement", most of the cyclists I know that
> >wear logo jerseys do so because they simply like the jersey or, in the
> >case of team wear, like the team. What's so bad about either?

> Nothing except that it is stupid to pay money to wear some corporation's
> advertising. They should pay me or at least discount the garment very heavily.
> This willingness to pay MORE for the privelege of promoting someone else's
> business interests is abject idiocy.

Exactly!! The logo festooned, corporate billboard duds should be
*cheaper* than the tasteful, plain ones.

Whores get paid, right?

In rec.bicycles.tech Bill Sornson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:

>>> If that's the way you feel about it, I'm just glad you aren't a
>>> figure skating fan.

>> Now now, don't be catty, I'm sure Bob would look *Fabulous* in this
>> outfit. Very nicely modeled by the U.S. men's skate champion Johnny
>> Weir.
>>
>> http://deadspin.com/sports/olympics/let-the-games-and-the-fussing-begin-153425.php

> Or,
> http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/blades-of-glory.jpg

Aughh, my eyes! Quick, someone hand me the mental squeegee and the
bottle of ole Third Red Eye!

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Humor in the Court: